Gaming Quality versus eyecandy/immersion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gaming Quality versus eyecandy/immersion

I have looked over a lot of these topics here, and come to the conclusion what most filks hope for in UT3 is improved gaming quality.

Bigger better waepons and toys which work without bugs.
    Maps which load fast and do not slow down your computer.

What I do not hear you talking about is more eyecandy.

What I have discovered is, every time I consider hardware upgrades for improved eyecandy, the cost is a much higher precentage then the actualy percentage of improvements. DX10 means a new computer for me anyway I look at it. Comparing a new comp to my old one has not shown me anything I need. Therefore I will not spend $1500 plus for a new computer if it is not going to give me what I need.

I get the impression most of you could care less about improved eyecandy if the game is not more fun. I don't mind paying more money for more fun.

What's your opinion? If this is true then maybe the gaming industry needs to listen to you better. DX10 does nothing for game play unless you feel the small percentage of noticeable eyecandy/immersion is worth the huge added cost.

Originally posted by Deadscion View Post
    What's your opinion? If this is true then maybe the gaming industry needs to listen to you better. DX10 does nothing for game play unless you feel the small percentage of noticeable eyecandy/immersion is worth the huge added cost.
    EPIC listens. UEngine can be scaled so that also mediocre hardware will run it fine. So there is no need to spend a lot of money for eyecandy. IF you want that immersion, you hvae to pay of course. I will.
    And it is not so much the devs' fault. The majority of gamers out there want new graphics not new gameplay.

Comment

Originally posted by Deadscion View Post
      I get the impression most of you could care less about improved eyecandy if the game is not more fun.
      I'm of completely the opposite opinion. I couldn't care less about improved eyecandy.

The problem is that eyecandy sells games and wows reviewers and the sales from that alone puts money in developer's hands. If I play a game for one day or three years solid the developer gets the same amount of cash.

If it's got the graphics of pacman but the gameplay better than UT2004 then I'll play it. If it looks real-life but plays like....well - pretty much all the other games out at the moment I'll stick with UT2004.

Comment

For me, Gameplay and graphics go hand in hand. For example I would get a game if it's gameplay is good. But if the graphics suck the its out of my list. It can be the other way as in good graphics but the gameplay sucks.

Comment

I favor gameplay over graphics, but graphics are still important. I want my brand new, expensive, shiny game to bring my gaming box to it's KNEES.

And UT3 will.

As for gameplay - I'm confident that I'll love UT3. After all, I loved UT in it's day, I love UT2004 (and still play it regularly) and this is Epic we're talking about - they are a QUALITY studio.

Comment

Originally posted by durtytarget View Post
            For me, Gameplay and graphics go hand in hand.
            QFT
            This is the same for me.

Comment

For me..

Its all about improved gameplay, as I disliked the 2kx series version of it. I didn't play Quake 3 because of its gameplay (primarily) and garish (overdone) eyecandy (don't get me started on the jump pads every 2 ft on the maps).
              ~
              I liked UT99 for the gameplay, the graphics by today's standards are of course sub par and a bit understated (only because it makes sense for it). But, the gameplay makes it for me, so my 2kx discs just keep getting dustier.
              ~
              The graphics hardware is out there that can handle most anything (almost anyway). So, you'd expect to see some eyecandy for the system hardware dollars being spent to gear up for the upcoming games. UT3 especially! But if we're talking gameplay that clones the 2kx series, so shall it be dismissed from my book! (back to UT99 I'd go!) I'm hoping for the best, as Epic has produced the best!

Intentsly
              (UT99~ [--]Torturia)

Comment

the eye candy is a small thing,
                a pitiful thing for most.
                i probably shouldn't even expect good gameplay in iCTF in ut3.
                no just make the editor, and they will do it for you.
                honestly, how many people in this room are screaming, "I WANT BRIDGE-OF-FATE" all day , all night, mary_ann

Comment

I think CliffyB says it best: "... it doesn't matter how good a girls looks; but, if the sex is bad, the sex is bad. Right. But the visuals do matter. That's where everything integrates in." "... I think graphics and game play cannot be so surgically removed..."

Comment

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
                    I think CliffyB says it best: "... it doesn't matter how good a girls looks; but, if the sex is bad, the sex is bad. Right. But the visuals do matter. That's where everything integrates in." "... I think graphics and game play cannot be so surgically removed..."
                    True, since most men wouldn't touch a truly ugly chick (let alone have sex with her). So visuals are what matters when you decide to take home the game/girl from the store/topless-bar.
                    But you only keep playing with the game/girl for months/years when the gameplay is good.

UT2k4 looked great and I thought the gampleay was great. So I fell in love and could ignore a few minor flaws. (Just like with the ladies).

Nice analogy.

EDIT:
                    For the ladies: It also is -of course- the other way round. Girls wouldn't take home ugly men. (just for the record)

Comment

when playing DM/CTF what everything looks like is totally immaterial to the task of winning the game.
                      a few popular CTF maps had all the eye candy stripped out to allow for better play.

being able to see players and be able to get out of bases with the flag has to take more priority than making things look pretty for the sake of it.

granted that to add to the overall realistic effect it's good to have some amount of 'bits' scattered around the place but keep these useful.

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
                        So visuals are what matters when you decide to take home the game/girl from the store/topless-bar.
                        ROFL. Yeah like I said Gaming and eyecandy/beauty (textures,FIRE,refraction,Model detail) IS ULTRA important. Bad eyecandy just puts a person of kinda like rather than a woman turning a man on just makes his genitals fall of. But at the same time gaming and the need and the urge for playing the game again and again(Half life was a one time play throw away game) which is success for game developers.

Comment

I dont think eyecandy is going to be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by DX-GAME View Post
                            I dont think eyecandy is going to be a problem.
                            I am sure of that. But if they release it late the graphics will be old and communities will take time to come together.

Comment

I dont think you are going to have to worry about that either. With most gamers still playing CS and WoW with dated graphics, the only problem is going to be how it plays.

Comment

Working...
                              X