Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are YOU worried about concerning UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Destini View Post
    1) that i'll be back at uni so won't have hardly anytime to play it.
    2) that they've removed dodge-jump. i can't get into UT99 anymore because the movement is so dam slow and basic without it, i still havn't heard a decent complaint against it, most consist of "i don't like multi tasking!"
    I want the option for both (ut2k4 movment and ut99 style) so we can ALL be happy, ut99 was good but it feels boring to me now.

Comment

Ground Hog Day2

Originally posted by Demon Guardian View Post
      I will gladly emphasize this argument, if you have missed it in Destini's post:

because the movement is so dam slow and basic without it

And I still haven't heard a DECENT argument for keeping it. I keep hearing the same subjective ones hee hee

This has been hashed/slashed/burned to extracrispy in other threads. But, I do like extracrispy

Intentsly
      (UT99~ [--]Torturia)

(There should be no whine since theres always room for a MOD! and a slice of cheese!)

Comment

I worry that I won't be able to run this game on all high settings when I shelled out so much money for a new beast...i mean computer.

Comment

Originally posted by EffeKt View Post
          I worry that I won't be able to run this game on all high settings when I shelled out so much money for a new beast...i mean computer.
          If you wanted to guarantee playing UT3 on the highest settings, you should have waited until after the game was out before buying hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by intentsly View Post
            And I still haven't heard a DECENT argument for keeping it. I keep hearing the same subjective ones hee hee

The argument is, once again, that the gameplay is too slow and too basic without it. It was a little too bouncy, yes, but toned down it would be perfect. And just how is calling something slow & basic a bad argument? I prefer things to be more complex so there's more skill required in mastering them, removing dodge jump will be such a step back.

Worryingly best argument I've heard it against it was "there's too much effort required for something which should be simple", which I can't say really applies, because I don't consider double-tapping a key then hitting another effort.

Comment

To be fair, it's more than the physical movements required, there's stratgey related to when and where to do use it and how.
              Where you're butting heads here, it seems is that you like the added strategy of timing these movements just right, and the other guy wants to have a more basic movement system that doesn't require as much exact timing and strategy.
              Sometimes simple can be a good thing, it makes the game accesible and immediately addicting. When you're trying to master 15 weapons, all with alt-fires, plus 18 vehicles, all with a wide array of weapons and abilities, an additional movement option can be a little too much.
              I'd rather they go the UC2 route when/if they go for agility, and keep to ground-based classic combat when they want that. A hybrid of the two can get awkward.

Comment

Dodge-jump is complex? Don't make me laugh. Dodge itself is harder to complete, because you have to tap same button twice in 0.3 sec. To perform d-jumping it remains just to push another button and player has almost a second to do it. I guess if you can dodge, dodge-jump can't be a problem.

And what about making of movement system simpler. Playing against bots, one thing always ****** me off, when at close distance I see a rocket flying in the face and know I should dodge, but physically can't do this, because even 0.3 second is too slow. It's enough time to react, but not to perform. While god-****-like bots do it easily. I know I can match them, but it requires intensive double-tapping, and my hand becomes tired during just couple of games. So instead of letting player to bind dodge to separate, single keys and really simplify movement system by that, Epic get rid of dodge-jumping that far easier to perform and yet very useful. That's stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Destini View Post

The argument is, once again, that the gameplay is too slow and too basic without it. It was a little too bouncy, yes, but toned down it would be perfect. And just how is calling something slow & basic a bad argument? I prefer things to be more complex so there's more skill required in mastering them, removing dodge jump will be such a step back.

Worryingly best argument I've heard it against it was "there's too much effort required for something which should be simple", which I can't say really applies, because I don't consider double-tapping a key then hitting another effort.
                  Complex doesn't mean better though. The original UT movement was fast paced and relevant to the size and scale of the maps. In UT2004 both the models and movements (not to mention some terrible maps) caused problems in this area imo, as well as slowing down the game play.

Half the skill of UT came from being able to dodge your way around a tight area during a fire fight. With the 'complex' movement system the maps have to have areas large enough to accommodate it, so the 'face to face' style combat is practically gone. Personally I see more skill in being able to prevail from a tight fire fight using wit and accuracy, rather than ping ponging away from it and poking the enemy with a long stick.

Simple IS complex imo.

Comment

My major worry: That Epic will be constrained by a fan base screaming for more UT99, and not make something new or adventurous. I've already got UT99 and UT2004, i don't want to buy either of them again.

Comment

Originally posted by Demon Guardian View Post
                      because the movement is so dam slow and basic without it
                      Basic, OK, I can get that. But slow? If anything the dodgejump slowed the game down instead of speeding it up by suiting large maps better than small ones.
                      Plus the fact that you're hitscan bait whenever you use it meant it's actually useless to get near your opponent, which made UT2k4 pretty much a long range game.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfTheJackal View Post
                        My major worry: That Epic will be constrained by a fan base screaming for more UT99, and not make something new or adventurous. I've already got UT99 and UT2004, i don't want to buy either of them again.
                        But they were adventurous with UT2004 at the cost of game play. I'd much rather them get it right, even if that means the same old UT formula, rather than something new, than have something great but ultimately average.

Comment

Most concerned?

that itll run like **** on a midrange PC.

Comment

Originally posted by Jrubzjeknf View Post
                            About the Rocket Launcher: I remember hearing somewhere it *maybe* was gonna be used to replace the avril. Or at least the avril was never confirmed.
                            i remember in one of the gameplay trailers, i saw a character using an avril. it was on the trailer when u first see malcolm then u start playing a match in the city

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
                              Basic, OK, I can get that. But slow? If anything the dodgejump slowed the game down instead of speeding it up by suiting large maps better than small ones.
                              I can dodge-jump any UT04 map faster then dodge any of UT99 map, which match each other according scale factor. So yes, it slows down the game.
                              Plus the fact that you're hitscan bait whenever you use it meant it's actually useless to get near your opponent, which made UT2k4 pretty much a long range game.
                              So, if weapon range is reduced, d-jumping will not be "useless". (in quotes because it's never useless.)

Besides, you will have to fight vehicles on foot, but new dodges are still less then dodge-jumps. So another "plus" to vehicles - one more "minus" to gameplay.

And one more thing, With d-jumping you had a choice - to dodge at short distance, or to dodge-jump at longer distance. Now you will dodge at some midpoint distance, which will be either too short to fight vehicles, or too long to fight troopers. If Epic just scaled down both dodge and dodge-jump that would be perfect. But they prefered to dumb down the movements, that's the point.

Comment

Originally posted by EyeOfTheJackal View Post
                                And I don't want to buy another flop. UT99 lasted 4 years in my fav games. UT2K3/4 lasted 6 months.

Combining all versions into one massive game is awsome.
                                If I could have UT3 graphics/models in UT99, I would be happy.

Comment

Working...
                                X