Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What are YOU worried about concerning UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are YOU worried about concerning UT3?

Let's face it, 2006 was the year of the unfinished(and released anyway) games, 2007 is following the trend so far. There is bound to be a huge issue with any game you buy today, so what do YOU think it'll be with UT3?

Me? Ageia PhysX.

Why would you totally gimp 99% of your PC user base by putting in a physics system that is known to be a performance gouge for people that don't buy a 200$ piece of optional hardware?

There has yet to have been a game that wasn't "gimped" on the high end machines from Ageia...

Can it do more for you? In theory, yes, but Ageia figures if they can make money on it, they'll write drivers that don't use resources adequately unless you're running their card...

I bought an 8800, I don't have any more money for this kinda thing! (2 paychecks down the drain there, but hey, at least my 8800 works with all my games, not 11 or 12 games that never left the store shelf).

Am I hating on Unreal? Hell no! 2K4 is still the best multiplayer FPS around, but am I worried about poor optimization? Every other Ageia title I've played (either through demo or friend) has run terribly. (CoV runs fine, but doesn't render any realtime physics)

I think your worries on the physics is unnecessary. Generally the physics card just helps stability and adds a new layer of physics and particles.

Something I am worried they wont do is fire the speed of most weapons, and I mean how fast the shots move. The problem is that UT is a game easily ruined by lag because the shots are so slow. Most of your shooting has to be guessing where they will be going and lag throws that off easily.

Comment

I'm worried about no Lighting gun(man i love that gun).
      Also worried how long tam will take to get in UT3 or if it will ever happen.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...&q=Tim+Sweeney
      PhysX is talked about in this video

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn14316 View Post
        +1 for TAM and Freon

Epic saw what a huge impact they made when they came out. I heard that they approached SPN but were turned down.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if they have seriously looked at writing their own version for ut3. You never know - we might be in for a nice surprise.

Comment

Originally posted by Shawn14316 View Post
          +1 but of the opposite reason.

My biggest worry I guess is that when UT3 launches I will not have time to play it as much as I would like.. =(

Comment

Physx, with ,without, it shouldn't be an issue, unless epic make it central to the experience which is highly unlikely.

Player movement options(or lack of), can be the key decider in any FPS.

Also this whole kiddie console x360 back story thing and whether it'll turn what should be a gritty Mature rated game into one adults are embarrassed to admit playing.

Comment

-That Warfare is too complicated for the masses to understand.

-That the console-versions have negative impact on the PC pace/gameplay/graffix.

-That EPIC decides to still keep the double-jump and leave a dodge-jump* out.

-That walldodging is barely notable.

-That Spidermines again will ruin the fun (remember, even on some 2k4-servers for casuals they are gone, because mines are only good when you play UT2k4 for the first time ever with a dirty ball-mouse from 1993).

-That faulty lighting will make teamcolors (or even players) hard to see in BRIGHT areas.

-That the gimmick map percentage is too high (nothing against a few good gimmick maps).

-That the maps turn out unbalanced.

*) nerfed, so that scaling isn't an issue

Comment

That the Pc that i have built wont be able to handle it

Comment

I'm worried that the rocketlauncher and flak secondary will be so slow they'll be dodgeable even at close range, making the shock and sniper the better alternative at all ranges except for prediction shots. Just something I noticed in the movies we saw so far, it seems that even if you fire a rocket a few yards away it takes a second or so before it reaches it's target and explodes.
                  The flak secondary seemed... floaty.

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
                  -That faulty lighting will make teamcolors (or even players) hard to see in BRIGHT areas.

-That the gimmick map percentage is too high (nothing against a few good gimmick maps).
                  Those worry me as well.

Comment

I'm worried that there will be no competitive play and no LAN tournaments.
                    There were LOADS in UT99, but hardly any in ut2k4.
                    Slight worry that my pc wont handle it, but should be fine.

No worries about gameplay here - defo looks better going on the vids.

Comment

Originally posted by CreepyD View Post
                      I'm worried that there will be no competitive play and no LAN tournaments.
                      There were LOADS in UT99, but hardly any in ut2k4.
                      Slight worry that my pc wont handle it, but should be fine.

No worries about gameplay here - defo looks better going on the vids.
                      Well, that depends on how big of a success UT3 is online. If it's a hit then we can expect people to form clans and for clans to play on organized leagues and ladders. That aspect is definitely one measure of an online multiplayer FPS game's success.

My worries:

I won't be able to play the game with my current rig and it's 2 GB of RAM since I'm having problems now with UT 2004.

The game will be susceptible to incessant General Protection Fault and MemAlloc crashes.

The shock rifle combo attack will still be too slow.

The translocater will feel like the UT 2004 translocater and not the UT99 translocater.

The skins will be awful like they were in UT 2004.

Epic won't be able to restore UT99's fun factor and long-term staying power and the game will end up being as unpopular as UT 2004 two years after its release.

The server browser will have great difficulty distinguishing between CTF servers that are playing regular, on-foot, normal weapons CTF and servers that are playing vehicles-CTF.

The server browser will counts bots as human players again and even though an option to only show servers with human players will be included, it won't be possible to show servers with both bots and human players while only counting the number of human players in the server browser. (People might want to see servers with 6 humans and 2 bots and they won't see those servers if they use the "no bots" filter.) What UT3 needs in addition to a "no bots" filter is a "show all servers but only count human players" filter.

Comment

Im also worried about slowing down the rockets - i mean, these are rockets they're meant to travel reasonably fast, and i though they were slow enough in ut2004. If they are slower, lets hope they do more damage and (as they say) the homing function is alot better.

Also worried the enforcers wont be made powerful enough, and slightly worried epic will be to scared to be adventurous with deployables. Personally id like to see some kind of lazer fence like XMP, no deployable turrets, maby some deployable portals or a deployable security camera which you can throw onto a wall. Oh and the sniperrifle worries me - the classic 2004 one i thought was rubbish but the lightning gun was alot more satisfying and a much better weapon. No smoke this time please!

Oh and i want to see animals too ^^

Comment

My concern is weapon balance. UT2K* is entirely too hitscan driven. The ROF on the shock needs to be UT99 based. I am not concerned about the slowness of rockets, flak or shock ball. They are all meant to be "timed" shots and should not have insta hit capablity, since it would be a spamming rocket fest at that point. I will miss the LG, what a great weapon, just nerf it a little.

My other great concern is an ongoing Anti Cheat. Epic needs to become involved at this point in time and provide us with some real protection. I for one would be willing to pay a monthly fee if it meant that we could have an ongoing Anti Cheat Team from Epic.

The PC version will be the God it was meant to be, and be tremendously scalable so that many PC's can play, even if only on low settings. I doubt that consoles will play PC in any form, despite the some "controller" players were winning vs. keyboard/mouse combo from one of the recent article. K/M pwns controller in the hands of a skilled player.

Lastly my last concern is that UT3 is one giant conspiracy to make me spend 5000 on a computer that I will never get to push to the limit!

Comment

I'm really worried about a game type similar to TAM ... I hope they will not do this out of box.

It's just a personal taste but i personally think TAM like mods belong to CS (all roundbased, all weapons avaiable gametypes) because i think it takes out a lot of different skills from the game.

A mod would be fine but if something like this is out of box it would ruine traditional DM and TDM.

I thought epic is thinking about a special 1on1 gametype, I really hope its nothing like TAM.

Comment

My biggest worries:

Skin visibility: No video released so far has conclusively shown that the stock skins will be visible enough in all situations. I REALLY hope that this isn't an issue like it was in 2k4.

Hardware requirements: My PC is starting to age a bit, and I'm concerned that I will be able to get a playable FPS.
                              Also, DT makes a good point about how susceptible UT2k3/2k4 is to crashing. I played a lot of games over 3 DIFFERENT PC's during the life of UT2k3 - UT24k, and these were the ONLY 2 games (or apps) that gave me memalloc headaches on ALL of the PC's I played it on. Other hardware-intensive games would run without a hitch, but UT would crash after 5 minutes of play... Maddening.

Good to **** Map ratio: Both 2k3 and 2k4 suffered from the same disturbing problem: at least 85% of the stock maps released with the game were very bad. Playing on a bad map can quickly cause a newer player to dismiss an entire game as bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X