Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind of systems will you guys have?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Bjossi View Post
    Well, he'd be better off with 2x2 GB sticks in dualchannel, and I have never seen such timings on DDR2 memory, it would certainly make things fast.
    By the way, doesn't DDR2-1000 or even faster exist? I would like that better than my DDR400.
    4-4-3-5 does exist for DDR2
    http://www.newegg.com/product/produc...82E16820231114

I'm using 4x1 because I'm buying 2 of those packages (2x1)

DDR2-1000+ does exist, but it goes beyond the specification for DDR2, they usually have quite high latencies and aren't as stable, but I'm not getting into the whole mhz vs latency over clocking debate, I'm just looking at stock speeds

DDR can be faster than DDR2 becaues of DDR2's higher latencies, Cas of 4 and below makes DDR2 worth while, I did it one better by going below the 4-4-4-12 standard, to 4-4-3-5. I'm sure even lower latencies exist (I've heard ballistix can achieve 4-3-3-X) but for now, its kick *** enough for what I want (DDR3 is out, but suffers from horrid 7-7-7-21 latencies, its only promise is it's huge over clocking ability... speeds of 1.6 ghz +!!!!)

Comment

Originally posted by Benfica View Post
      Hey, I don't have that kind of hardware, I was just screwing around I'm really interested on the Intel Q6600 when it becomes affordable and maybe the less expensive X-Fi card. The other kit, I'm either not interested or can't afford it
      I too plan to buy it during the late July processor price drop (Q6600 will be around $266, which makes it about the same price as the E6600, but with two extra cores for your enjoyment)

"Peryn" (sp?), the 45nm processor comes out later, but it's not very different than regular Core 2 Duos, the main processor difference will come much later with Intel's "Nahalem" (sp?) processors, a scalable cpu architecture that can support anywhere from 1-8 cores!

Comment

You need to mess with voltages and stuff to get that low latency numbers I think, something I'd never do. I like to play it safe.

By the way, 4 GB DDR2-800 at 4-4-3-5 is something I'd kill for, so get yourself a lifeguard.

Comment

i just got my new rig this week.

e6600 with a gigabyte 3d rocket heatsink. (i plan on overclocking at a little over 3ghz after the arctic silver breaks in.

2gb of corsair ddr2 xms2 runnin dual channel at 1066mhz

2 wd caviar 160gb sata2 hard disks runnin on raid 0

foxconn 8800gts runnin at stock speed right now

msi p6n sli platinum motherboard

i hope this is good enough to run ut3 at max with a decent fps.

Comment

Is your 8800 GTS the 320 or 640 MB version?

Comment

Why all get top of the line pc's? I mean whats the point. You people should but ur money to somewhere better place. Not into pc games imho.

I mean upgradin pc 3 times a year is like getting a new car every month.

UT3 dosent demand top end pc's . Its been confirmed in latest interviews. PC with 1 core a,512 ram and 256 mb video card can handle well with low settings

Comment

Guys, I need your advice.

I'm currently deciding between getting a whole new PC in late July (for the CPU price drops) OR waiting and getting a Penryn with the new NVIDIA G92 gpus which are out around Xmas. I've been thinking ALOT about this and I can't decide what the best move is.

My problem is, I want the new computer primarily for UT3 so initially, I was thinking of waiting until xmas time and get option number 2. But if I stick with my current aging PC (6600GT P4 2.8 1gig ram) I will miss out on other potentially great games such as Bioshock or World in Conflict or C.B.Jericho which are also on my list of games to play. That's how option number 1 came to be. BUT THEN (lol) if i get that new PC in July, I might not be able to run UT3 at full graphics like I want and a few months after July, option number 2 will be released so it might seem like a waste.

On top of all that, my motherboard locks my overclock capabilities so I can't even squeeze extra frames out of my system. I am not very picky however when it comes to fps. To give you an idea, I currently play SupCom at around 15 fps and R6:Vegas at around that same speed. It sucks, but I can live with it.

All in all, I don't know what to do and I was wondering if you guys could lean me towards one of my options or even introduce me to other possibilities. Thank you in advance

Comment

Stick with your current computer. Buy all the games you want to play, and if your computer can't handle them no matter how low you set the settings, then just let those games wait for a better computer.

Comment

Originally posted by FrostBiteEST View Post
                    Why all get top of the line pc's? I mean whats the point. You people should but ur money to somewhere better place. Not into pc games imho.
                    I'm not upgrading the CPU for UT3, and I'm not sure about the soundcard yet.

I agree with you. Top of the line kit is for the ones that are both HW enthusiasts and gamers.
                    Most gamers really don't care about low latency mem, SLI, quad-core. As long has they have good enough lower fps, decent eyecandy but without clutter, good 3D sound, low network latency. A lot of players that OWN, have low end PCs. They still have decent fps, because they play with low settings.

Comment

Originally posted by FrostBiteEST View Post

I mean upgradin pc 3 times a year is like getting a new car every month.

UT3 dosent demand top end pc's . Its been confirmed in latest interviews. PC with 1 core a,512 ram and 256 mb video card can handle well with low settings
                      Please, don't tell me what to do with my money. I worked for it! And hard too!
                      I want the game to run on the highest settings, 16 x Antialiasing and the whole shabang on a 780P / 42" Panasonic Plasma and still be able to burn the current DeathMatch to a DVD or HD-DVD, on the fly, in HD resolution.

You know about all the graphicwhores around the world in all sorts of forums?
                      Well i'm their ****

And since i don't own a car and give to charity's all the time i reckon i can do with my money whatever i want.
                      And i want a new graphical experience wich i know Epic can deliver.
                      In fact i'm allready saving up for a Unreal 4 engine based PC.......

Comment

i'll do my shopping a week before ut3 comes out... using a crappy laptop @ the moment

Comment

Stick with your current computer. Buy all the games you want to play, and if your computer can't handle them no matter how low you set the settings, then just let those games wait for a better computer.
                          Hehe, I was afraid you'd say that I mean that IS the smart thing to do, but waiting is so hard! You're right though, most likely it's what I will do. Thank You!

Comment

The longer you survive with a computer, the more money you spare.

But it's easy for me to say because I have a much faster computer than you.

Comment

There's always going to be a faster computer coming out later this year or next year, for the forseeable future anyway. You want something, you have the money, go buy it.

I try not to buy the latest and greatest thing all the time, I'd rather get the former latest and greatest thing that just got its price dropped, but that's just me, usually.

Got my Core 2 Duo E6700 in the mail a couple days ago. Decided on an open box MSI P6N "SLI-FI" thing to put it in, had to buy memory for that of course.
                              Will still keep the Radeon x1900. Got one of those X-Fi sound cards finally.

Comment

The longer you survive with a computer, the more money you spare.

But it's easy for me to say because I have a much faster computer than you.
                                That's very true and I've been with this one for a long, long time. I think what I'll do is wait for those couple of games I mentioned to come out and see if they are actually any good (reviews and maybe try a demo on my friends monstrous pc) and then decide if they are worth buying a PC for.

Dickbird (haha) is also right however, you can't wait forever and I am also like him since I bought this PC when it was mid/low range for quite cheap and it has served me well thus far. Just thought I might, for once, spend some of that hard earned cash on a top of the line machine to play my most anticipated game My usual self would be all over that July22 price cut though hehe can't believe how low they are dipping.

Comment

Working...
                                X