Just for fun.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just for fun.

One thing I would like to see more than anything else in UT3 is the ability to find servers to play on full of people that are playing just for fun.

I've got nothing against competitive players, organized players, clans, or really anyone who plays the game for whatever reason. However, it has been a real challenge for me in the past to just fire up UT and hop on a server where everyone there was playing just for fun.

I'm sure a lot of people don't fully understand what I mean by that so I'll illustrate the type of experience I'm talking about...

It's Wednesday night around 9:30. Wife and kids are in bed, I've got a few hours to kill on the net, none of my buds are online but I'm in the mood for a little fraggin'. I fire up UT and scroll through the list of just for fun servers to find a game type that sounds fun. I pick one from the list and join the game. "Hey everyone, how's it going tonight?" "Going good Flynn, welcome aboard." "Excellent, fresh meat for my rockets. Glad to have ya Flynn." "Yeah, watch out for Blaster's rockets, he's been on a roll." Yadda yadda yadda, point being, people who are playing just for fun have enough time to take a few seconds to acknowledge someone new has entered and welcome them.

The game goes on, people come and go, when they come they are welcomed and when they leave they say "good night", "had fun", "until next time", and people say good bye to them. During the game people aren't all wrapped up in owning, and increasing their frags at any cost, if you nail them in a particularly special way they take the time to congratulate you on a job well done. There's no ego here as everyone there is playing just for fun.

The closest I've come to this experience in quite some time is there are many servers where the people aren't rude. If you say "Hello, how's it going tonight?" You get a hardy "hi" in reply instead of "fu stfu n play". If you land a rocket at their feet from across the map with an amazingly timed shot you get the very heart felt "ns" which is expected to be followed up with a "ty". When a game is over it's followed with a string of "gg". When most people leave they don't say goodbye, but the few that do get a "cya" in reply. There's nothing wrong with any of that, as a matter of fact, when people are playing all out and trying to do their best that's about all there is time for. I don't want to be bothering people who are there to play hard by chatting at them all night, it wastes my time and theirs.

It's sort of like poker. There are high stakes players who play for a lot of money, there are penny ante players who play for little more than spare change, and then there are players who don't play for money are all and play just for fun.

I 100% fully agree with you! i do like to just play the game for fun!
    hence the meaning of game

When i join servers i always say Hi, Hello, Howdy ect ect and i will have a little covo with people if its not to mental! but it really gets my back up when i join a server and you don't even get a signal "Hi" back

anyway back to your first point, yeah would be ace to have a option to click friendly servers only, but i never see it happening

Comment

Depends on the gametype, really.
      You can't expect people who play DM to type entire conversations. I mean, if that's what you want you should try IRC (and hope people aren't too busy idling or changing their name to indicate they're AFK) or TAM.
      What does tick me off is people getting angry while playing. That's just sad. Or people who get annoyed when you type a lot. Don't like it? Don't read it. Simple as that. I've actually had people tell me to "stfu and play" when I was typing in TAM... after I died. How am I supposed to play when already dead?

Comment

people who are playing just for fun have enough time to take a few seconds to acknowledge someone new has entered and welcome them.
        I wish this was how all servers were.. Unfortunately I don't see any of this happening.

Comment

Well there are people who will only talk during the breaks which in 2k4 is not too much. Hopefully UT3 will fix this with chatting between maps etc being able to take place longer so people can have a decent little talk until everyone is ready to play.

One thing I do find in full rpg invasion servers is some people will only chat and just wait for the points from the win. Not everyone chats all the time but sometimes you'll get 5 people doing all the work and 5 who are just chatting so I could see it as a problem if people take things too far.

So while I agree it would be nice to have for fun servers, there still needs to be some level of play involved. I dont really want to hop in a server with my time and wait for ages for everyone to actually stop chatting and play. I get where your coming from though since alittle recognition and chat is a good thing and makes things feel more community spirited. If it doesnt interfere with the actual play then Im all for it, like I said UT3 should fix this up some so chatting can be done in the offtimes. Sometimes joining as a spectator and doing alittle chat can be healthier for your stats hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Flynn_Flak View Post
            One thing I would like to see more than anything else in UT3 is the ability to find servers to play on full of people that are playing just for fun.

I've got nothing against competitive players, organized players, clans, or really anyone who plays the game for whatever reason. However, it has been a real challenge for me in the past to just fire up UT and hop on a server where everyone there was playing just for fun.

I'm sure a lot of people don't fully understand what I mean by that so I'll illustrate the type of experience I'm talking about...

It's Wednesday night around 9:30. Wife and kids are in bed, I've got a few hours to kill on the net, none of my buds are online but I'm in the mood for a little fraggin'. I fire up UT and scroll through the list of just for fun servers to find a game type that sounds fun. I pick one from the list and join the game. "Hey everyone, how's it going tonight?" "Going good Flynn, welcome aboard." "Excellent, fresh meat for my rockets. Glad to have ya Flynn." "Yeah, watch out for Blaster's rockets, he's been on a roll." Yadda yadda yadda, point being, people who are playing just for fun have enough time to take a few seconds to acknowledge someone new has entered and welcome them.

The game goes on, people come and go, when they come they are welcomed and when they leave they say "good night", "had fun", "until next time", and people say good bye to them. During the game people aren't all wrapped up in owning, and increasing their frags at any cost, if you nail them in a particularly special way they take the time to congratulate you on a job well done. There's no ego here as everyone there is playing just for fun.

The closest I've come to this experience in quite some time is there are many servers where the people aren't rude. If you say "Hello, how's it going tonight?" You get a hardy "hi" in reply instead of "fu stfu n play". If you land a rocket at their feet from across the map with an amazingly timed shot you get the very heart felt "ns" which is expected to be followed up with a "ty". When a game is over it's followed with a string of "gg". When most people leave they don't say goodbye, but the few that do get a "cya" in reply. There's nothing wrong with any of that, as a matter of fact, when people are playing all out and trying to do their best that's about all there is time for. I don't want to be bothering people who are there to play hard by chatting at them all night, it wastes my time and theirs.

It's sort of like poker. There are high stakes players who play for a lot of money, there are penny ante players who play for little more than spare change, and then there are players who don't play for money are all and play just for fun.

I feel the same as you, before I played UT 2004 I played Unreal 1, in this game every player plays for fun, if you enter any server there you will always find such "kindness" among the players. When I moved to UT 2004 (Yes I never played other versions in between, exept Unreal 2) I noticed the same as you, since my online time I only met a few players who actually speak inside the game. Even when i praised them for having a nice shot they did not respond in anyway. This actually made me think to go back to Unreal 1 because the online community was so much better than in UT 2004. As you have said, alot of players in UT 2004 are fragjunkies. Another fact, when you go away from the keyboard in Unreal 1. You don't get killed, in UT 2004 you do even if you stand in a corner or other hidden spot outside the main path.

I do hope this changes is UT3. I think it's mainly because UT 2004 does not have coop game.

Regards,
            -SR

Comment

As for type or AFK killing, I've been backstabbed a few too many times by people I didn't kill because they weren't moving. I still won't actively typekill, but if I accidentally land a triple rockets on you you won't get an apology.
              In fact, don't go AFK while on a server. You're taking up a spot and hurting your team.

Comment

I think you could call it 'casual' free-for-all.

Comment

The 2k4 online community basically put me off online UT; I haven't played online for more than a year, and I'm probably not alone. I think this sort of thing, or just more people with this outlook, would help UT3 at least as much as good game play. What good is a great online game, if the online community drives away the players?

I think the Titan people are a good example of how to do things right. The only online game I played was Titan, and it felt like the good old days.

Comment

I knew it.

See, I knew there were plenty of us out there, it's just really hard to find one another without having to setup some level of organization outside the game. Which then of course only people who stumble upon the forum, website, irc channel, or whatever the vehicle of organization might be will know about it. Still, even should you stumble across it, it's sort of like a club you have to join and maintain.

There are very different reasons people play UT, and mostly they don't mix well. There are competitive players that want to play very seriously to hone their skills as sharp as possible. There are players who want to frag, frag, frag just because they love to frag. They want nothing more than a rocket launcher and an endless supply of meat. There are others who don't take it too seriously, but make no mistake about it, they play to win. Some people really like to play UT, they might even be quite good at it, but they really couldn't care less what the score is. If the game ends and they happen to be on top, heh, who knew? Then there's people who want to stand around in a circle and shoot rockets at a Jeep to see who it will land on so they can point and laugh.

At one time or another I've been all of those people. If I was practicing for a tournament and I saw a different me standing around shooting rockets at a jeep trying to launch it over a hill, I'd think I was a real jerk and I'd shoot me in the back of the head and tell myself to quit jerking off and start playing the game. Which of course would **** me off and I'd say to myself, man what a ****, I didn't do anything to me, I was just standing here minding my own business. Now I'm all mad at myself, and I'm arguing back and forth about the proper way to play UT and how I'm a moron and I have at terrible time. Too many experiences like that and I lose the taste for it.

If only there were a way a server could designate its intended atmosphere. Sure, naming the server Crazy Clarance's Clown School might shed some light on the matter, but an icon, tag, or descriptive label would really remove all doubt.

What I'm really trying to say more than anything else and I hope someone from Epic hears this, as much as I love UT I almost never play it anymore. If it were easy for me to just hop on UT and find a game full of guys like me I'd play more often. Which would mean that I would be adding to the population of guys like me making it easier for guys like me to find guys like me so they'd play more often which would add to the population of guys like me making it easier for more guys like me....

We are here. We want to play. The more we play the more people like us will want to play and buy the game. Which will make us want to play even more. Help us help you by helping us.

Comment

to tell the truth, the first experiance I had with a game populated mostly by jerks and rude people was the Unreal series, UT99. It was few and far between that I ever saw a map populated by more than a few players that werent rude. Sure, there were servers that I happened across, but they were clan servers populated by the clan and friends of the clan. Monitored by admins. Not a big deal though. Most of the time I was talking with friend over a third party VOiP. We just laughed and went on having our own fun.

We saw alot less of them in 2k3/4 because it was our clan server, and we had a good time. Most of all, we all played for fun and learned from each other. We all played competitvely because thats the name of the game. But we were polite, and stepped down a notch to let the lessor skilled players have a chance as well.

The sad fact is any time you have a game with a large population you are going to have to take the bad with the good, and the bad out number us. There is no social example that will have any effect because there are just too many servers, alot of them hosted by people just like them.

Just going to have to do what I always do. Find a few friends and a few good servers to play on.

As far as type chat goes, Im sorry, Im going to shoot you unless I know you. Best thing you can do is get out of an active area and put your face to a wall. Then maybe I wont.

Comment

I play just for fun. And winning and losing takes a back seat to fun but I still like to win. Would be a nice feature to distinguish servers on a competitive scale. Serious, Semi-serious, Just for fun.

I mostly jump in for a game or two and that’s enough for one day. If I see someone goofing around or trying new things and experimenting or just trying to figure out the game and asking stupid questions I don’t get too annoyed. I try to help where I can. If someone is actively trying to screw up the game that’s when I start getting bugged.

Maybe a good feature for the AFK thing would be not only the talking animation which looks kind of cool but also a AFK above the players head along with a counter. So common courtesy would be not to frag the guy with the AFK above his head but if the counter says 5 minutes then frag away because the guy is gone way to long.

Comment

Actually this would be better served in the reverse.

My rational?

I think it would work better for the competetive community. I think most people would just ignore the "for fun option." Alot of times it would be just for the lack of knowing. It takes time to get used to the nuances of the game. Now if you had a "competetive" tab the clanners/competetive players would immediatley gravitate towards that. The simple fact is that's what they look for. In north america most of the clanners play ONS on SCK, the DMer's on Purgatory or Fractionary and CTF is Mt. Baker (something like that) In North America that's where the "competetive" players go. (I can't speak for TAM as I don't play that gametype)

The competetive community is extremely small compared to the rest of the UT community. It would make more sense to at the least, throw them a bone. That way the comp community would pretty much leave everybody else alone and be happy because they would know that's where the action is (for them)

I'm sorry to say there are jerks online, Everybody has been a jerk online at one point or another, its just human nature. The comp community consistently feels snubbed by Epic, I think having dedicated "competition" servers would alliviate alot of problems and make it much more enjoyable for those that want "competition" and those that just want "for fun"

Comment

And just what makes you think that renaming the servers or adding a tag to them will make sure that people in it will play for fun. How would u know that one is playing for fun or givin his best (if he's a new player it would just look like hes playing for fun init).
                            And theres allways a possibility that some over-skilled player wants to have fun over the new players, he may just enter the server ur havin fun at, start killin everyone like theres no tommorow, get godlike and say sumtin like i pwn u noobz even tho u were all jus playin 4 fun.

Private servers is the way to go, you invite people in that u know will play 4 fun and then hav a blast

Sorry maybe uve allready said all those things but your post is waaay too long for me to read at 12:00 pm

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                              Well there are people who will only talk during the breaks which in 2k4 is not too much. Hopefully UT3 will fix this with chatting between maps etc being able to take place longer so people can have a decent little talk until everyone is ready to play.

One thing I do find in full rpg invasion servers is some people will only chat and just wait for the points from the win. Not everyone chats all the time but sometimes you'll get 5 people doing all the work and 5 who are just chatting so I could see it as a problem if people take things too far.

So while I agree it would be nice to have for fun servers, there still needs to be some level of play involved. I dont really want to hop in a server with my time and wait for ages for everyone to actually stop chatting and play. I get where your coming from though since alittle recognition and chat is a good thing and makes things feel more community spirited. If it doesnt interfere with the actual play then Im all for it, like I said UT3 should fix this up some so chatting can be done in the offtimes. Sometimes joining as a spectator and doing alittle chat can be healthier for your stats hehe
                              That's why I like VOIP. More human feeling, easier to communicate, easier to talk and still kill. Me gusta VOIP.

Comment

Working...
                              X