Announcement

Collapse

The Infinity Blade Forums Have Moved

We've launched brand new Infinity Blade forums with improved features and revamped layout. We've also included a complete archive of the previous posts. Come check out the new Infinity Blade forums.
See more
See less

UT3 will be DX10 and in "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" program

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UT3 will be DX10 and in "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" program

Mark Rein confirmed that Unreal Tournament 3 will be DX10 and in "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" program for launch.

Source: May 10, 2007 |http://blogs.nvidia.com/developers/2..._be_direc.html

hmm. I hope it doesnt end up running better on nVidia cards D:

dx10 = :up:

Comment

Epic has already confirmed that UT3 will be DX10 but will support DX9. This press release is more about NVidia than UT3. All it means to me is that I will have to make a non-NVidia version of the "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" thingy.

Comment

DX 10 the way they did DX 9 for the UT2kx series? cause that was hardly noticable. i hope we will see some benefits from this implementation.

Comment

Originally posted by Killalot0 View Post
          DX 10 the way they did DX 9 for the UT2kx series? cause that was hardly noticable. i hope we will see some benefits from this implementation.
          UT2k4 won't even run after choosing dx9 rendering, at least not with the latest patch, I'm sure this time it will be a proper implementation for DX10.

I just wish (selfishly) they were only busy developing UT3 for the PC not PS3 and x360, even though I understand that that is where the money is after GOW's success . Pc gamers seem to have been forever waiting compared to these new formats.

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
            Epic has already confirmed that UT3 will be DX10 but will support DX9. This press release is more about NVidia than UT3. All it means to me is that I will have to make a non-NVidia version of the "The Way Its Meant To Be Played" thingy.
            Where did they confirm this? The last thing I heard from Epic was that it was built as a DX9 game but would also support DX10.

Comment

Ok, UT3 will require DX9 at a minimum but will also support DX10. Is that better?

Comment

I remember Tim Sweeney saying at E3 or GDC that DX10 will be used only as optimization.

Comment

DX10 provides no improvement in quality of the graphics other than better efficiency at rendering. This is a change of venue, of a sort, for a new "version" of DX. Compare the same scene (from a DX9 game that supports the previous versions) rendered in DX7, DX8 and DX9, and you will notice a definite difference in the graphic capabilities of each.

The only other graphic difference is that DX10 has SM4, but I remember Sweeney talking specifically about SM3 for UT3 (UT2007 at the time of the interview)

Comment

Geometry shader. Less cpu dependant. Before you start thinking about SM4, that is what dx10 is all about.

Comment

Originally posted by Moloko View Post
                      UT2k4 won't even run after choosing dx9 rendering, at least not with the latest patch, I'm sure this time it will be a proper implementation for DX10.

I just wish (selfishly) they were only busy developing UT3 for the PC not PS3 and x360, even though I understand that that is where the money is after GOW's success . Pc gamers seem to have been forever waiting compared to these new formats.
                      After reading your post i have to agree with you I played UT99 allot in the day, even when UT2004 can out i was still playing it, i loved it so much i wanted to get a better PC so i could buy and play ut2004, so in 2005 i did that and was so disappointed. it played nothing like UT99, iv downloaded various mutators to make it play as much lik eut99 at possible eg (tweak tool)
                      so more to the point.. IV BEEN WAITING FOR A RETURN TO UT99 EVER SINCE I PLAYED UT2004 It has been such a long wait, this game is like everything to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregori View Post
                        Where did they confirm this? The last thing I heard from Epic was that it was built as a DX9 game but would also support DX10.
                        Exactly what I herd.. time and time again

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                          DX10 provides no improvement in quality of the graphics other than better efficiency at rendering...
                          Correct me if i'm wrong here, but surely if a frame can render quicker than it used to take to render, then you can put more detail, fancier effects, higher quality textures into your scene, rendering a frame that takes longer than the original render, but as long as the old render, giving a render thats considered a improvement in graphics? Rendertatsic if you will?

Comment

Originally posted by olly View Post
                            Correct me if i'm wrong here, but surely if a frame can render quicker than it used to take to render, then you can put more detail, fancier effects, higher quality textures into your scene, rendering a frame that takes as longer the original render, but as long as the old render, giving a render thats considered a improvement in graphics? Rendertatsic if you will?
                            Edit: Never mind. I get so tired of these arguments. I never win.

Comment

I'm Sorry, I just spot these things and can't help myself, hugs??

Comment

Working...
                              X