Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Overclocking in UT3? Please epic make it work this time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Overclocking in UT3? Please epic make it work this time!

I know it's very common these days, I recently overclocked my AMD 3700 2.2ghz to 2.7ghz with no probs.
    Stalker has had about a 40% increase in fps in minimum fps (was 20, now 28 - unplayable to perfectly playable )
    However upon firing up UT2k4, it totally crashed my pc (set me back to 8 colours, 640x480) and said unknown processor.
    I then remembered trying to overclock a processor before and couldn't because UT wouldn't work then (even just a tiny bit made it crash)

Was this the case with everyone?

Please make an overclocked processor work with UT3!
    I guess it could even be too late to implement it if it doesn't work already.

Originally posted by CreepyD View Post
    Was this the case with everyone?
    Not for me. I overclocked an AMD64 3400+ 754 from 2.4GHz to 2.8GHz and it ran fine. Trying to push it to 3GHz crashed windows though...

Comment

Are there different ways to overclock a CPU btw? Maybe that matters?

Comment

I know I used to have problems with overclocking on Win98 and on UT99. However XP is stable enough, since I have a gigabyte mobo I can use that EasyTune Progy to increase my cpu core speed. Either that or the multiplier on the motherboard. Increased my Athlon 1700+ from 1100 Mhz to 1650 Mhz and it works fine for me. I've also tried this with UT2k4 and it worked allright.

Comment

One thing to keep in mind: UT2003/4 are way more CPU intensive than most games of that era. This fact alone is why overclocking brought a lot of unstable machines to a crashing halt. If UT2003/4 crashes your OCed computer, your computer probably isn't too stable to begin with. Try benchmarking with 3DMark and Aquamark. If your system fails any of those tests, then you need to back off the OC until you do pass all the tests.

As The5thviruz points out, you can safely OC your computer and run UT2003/4 just fine. You just have to find that happy medium.

Comment

Nice to know it can work then.
            Just strange that Stalker works ok, and that's very intensive.
            I overclocked by raising the clock speed in the bios, maybe it matters.
            I used a guide on an overclocking site which used the exact same processor and put it through testing on all different settings. So it should be (and appears to be) perfectly stable.
            I'll have to try some bench mark testing.

Comment

It also helps drenching the CPU in butter and putting popcorn on your motherboard. 8]

Comment

Originally posted by Da Spadger View Post
                It also helps drenching the CPU in butter and putting popcorn on your motherboard. 8]
                woot

Comment

Both, the original UT and UT200x are quite stressful to the system and they can reveal even a slightest stability issues.

Comment

Originally posted by _Lynx View Post
                    Both, the original UT and UT200x are quite stressful to the system and they can reveal even a slightest stability issues.
                    Yes I have noticed that they have always been pretty sensitive to video card over clocking.

Comment

idd - it's not ut2004's fault. You're overclock isn't 100% stable and ut2004 is cpu bottle necked unlike stalker which is gpu bottle necked so your cpu will be working harder in ut hence it's more likely to find problems.

My o/c works just fine.

Comment

UT and UT2004 work fine on a stable on my overclocked systems. If there is issues playing the game its likely the person does not know how to overclock correctly. My main system is a 2.8 ghz P4 oced to 3.45 ghz and it plays Ut2004 fine. I need to monitor the temperature while encoding video as it can push it near 60* C if the ambient air is too hot for proper cooling.

Comment

I have also successfully run UT2004 overclocked. I would say the reasons listed above are accurate as to why you have problems in 2k4 but not other games. OC's may seem stable when you are not stressing the CPU very hard.. but then out of the blue your PC may reset, things like that are an indication you need to tone it back a notch or two.

Comment

you can overclock you're video card also which should make ur fps better (really easy with programs)

Comment

OC'ing your GPU will make a negligable difference in UT games if your CPU is the bottleneck.

Comment

Working...
                              X