Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About dropping weapon and picking same new one!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About dropping weapon and picking same new one!

Will UT3 still have this (I'd say) bug, when a player drops a weapon that has lower than half ammo left and pick up one of the same type from the weapon spawn point and get half of the max ammo.
    Well this doesn't matter if the server has set the "weapons stay" off!

Isn't that why you can disable weapon throwing?

p.s. design decisions you don't like are not bugs.

Comment

This is a legitimate point if the designers didn't intend for this ability. To toss a weapon ahead, pick up the new spawn, and run over your original, in order to max out your ammo, when the designers clearly didn't intent for you to be able to do this, makes it a bug. This is the sort of small inconsistency that a new game is the perfect time to address.

Design flaws people like to exploit aren't legitimate features.

Comment

Since I don't even remember which button I have throw weapon bound to, I honestly can't say I care that much either way.

Comment

Throwing weapons is a basic and essential tactic in ONS. Without it your link gun will always run out of ammo.

It gives a team of players in the know a certain advantage ofer those that aren't; so it adds to the learning curve.

So leaving it in or not is dependent on how Epic wants to shape the learning curve.

Since the advantage is moderate, and another element to add in to the mix, and generally when a player is idle, I'd say leave it in. It doesn't imbalance, just is another learning point in the game - and a game needs little tricks to learn or it gets staid.

Comment

Originally posted by Hedge-o-Matic View Post
            This is a legitimate point if the designers didn't intend for this ability. To toss a weapon ahead, pick up the new spawn, and run over your original, in order to max out your ammo, when the designers clearly didn't intent for you to be able to do this, makes it a bug. This is the sort of small inconsistency that a new game is the perfect time to address.

Design flaws people like to exploit aren't legitimate features.
            You cannot pick up your own weapon after you throw it. Thus you cannot max out your ammunition this way.

Considering that there was obviously some thought put into the design here, it's hard for me to believe that it's anything but intentional.

Comment

I think it's fine the way it works in 2k4. You can max your ammo by trowing the weapon and taking a weaponbase plus the ammo pickups near it... but I don't really see the point of doing it. You often are going to die before you spend half of a weapon's ammo and your opponent will use agaist you the ammo you didn't use! Mid ammo = Less ammo for your opponent... And you can easily stay with mid ammo with the ammo pickups spread in the map...

Comment

I have to say, the last time I threw a weapon, me and a team mate were pinned down beneath the defensive bunker in CTF-November. Yeah, in 1999 or 2000. So, if I got the details of weapon throwing wrong, forgive me. It's just not that important.

Comment

I found it extremely annoying that u even needed to throw your weapon (with < half ammo) in order to pick up a new one with half ammo.
                  Running over a weapon should replenish the gun automatically to default levels if below.
                  Any 'Wail of Suicide' is right, if u throw your weapon and grab a new one, u can't then pick up your old one.
                  Either way for me it's essential to be able to do this in weapon stay on fights

Comment

Throw weapon is one of my most used binds and I used it every day. I REALLY use it a lot when I'm avrilling in VCTF and there aren't any ammo pickups. Hell, I used it even if there are, to get the 5 count that are included in the weapon pick up.

Comment

Yeah, in ONS, tossing your old link gun is essential if you want to get a node built in any reasonable time.

Comment

Huh. That really strange; I guess I never thought about it so much before. For instance, it never occurred to me to drop my weapon and run over a new one.

I think there's a small design flaw here, where throwing your weapon is such an inherently important part of the game. I guess that's the trade-off they made when they decided there wouldn't be any clips or reloading. Without the rule forbidding you to pick up your own weapon (which I didn't know), people would have been able to exploit the system. But is throwing a half-empty weapon and picking up another really better than reloading with a keybind?

Reloading can be done anywhere, after all. This throw and pick up method requires you to be next to an occupied spawn base. It just seems strange, is all. I still have no opinion, really.

Comment

At one point, UT2k3 or UT2k4 (can't remember) didn't let you throw weapons at all, IIRC even when weapons stay was off. The (intended) result was that when weapons stay was on, you could never get ANY ammo from a weapon pickup once you had the weapon. Obviously, this had some very unpleasant unintended side results, like not being able to share weapons, and running out of ammo quicker with WS on than with WS off.
                          In UT2k4, you can throw weapons, but you can only pick up your own weapon if you don't already have that weapon. (i.e., you when you throw your shockrifle, then pick up another shockrifle, you can no longer pick up the one you threw) but this results in people in WS on games throwing their weapon with very little ammo left to get a fresh one. More annoyingly, you cannot throw a weapon once it has 0 ammo left because you cannot select it, so this trick only works if you never shoot your last shot, making it feel very much like a bug.

Personally, I think the best solution would be to handle weapon bases in WS on games just like weapon lockers; you should be able to pick a weapon up if you have less ammo than the default to fill it up to that default, but you can only pick a weapon up if the last time you picked it up was either before you died or more than 27 seconds ago.
                          This system is basically unexploitable, at least in DM. The only disadvantage is that you might see an enemy run over an empty weapon base and hear the weapon pick up sound (because even though the weapon is gone on your screen because you just picked it up, it's still there on your enemy's screen because he hasn't picked it up yet; it's the same effect as a teammate in ONS loading up on a weapon locker that's not lit on your screen)

Comment

Originally posted by jacobi289 View Post
                            Yeah, in ONS, tossing your old link gun is essential if you want to get a node built in any reasonable time.
                            Essential?

How can something I've never seen anyone do online be essential?

I'll buy that it may give you an advantage, but that doesn't make it essential.

Comment

You also don't see teamplay online. That doesn't mean it's not essential.

Comment

Working...
                              X