Liquids in the game?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Liquids in the game?

Howdy. This is a small issue, but one I'm curious on. I just wanted to know if anyone knows if the UE3 has better support for swimming than UT2004 did. UT's underwater experience was nice while UT2004's was a joke. They didn't even have underwater sounds.

Plus, I want to make a map where you can take a dip in the lava and slime.

I've seen screenshots with water, but don't know how "good" it is.

the water in ue3 is awesome, but I don't think there has been any actual footage of swimming, its probably going to be awesome though

Comment

Hal gushed about the water.

What I want to know, is can the Darkwalkers wade through water (up to the ball joint), or do the take damage like the vehicles in UT2k4?

Comment

Slime may be OK for dipping, but lava generally does about 50-100 damage per second. Good luck getting in there without an invincibility powerup.

Comment

The water damage to vehicles in 2k4 was pretty extreme. Though I understand the idea, driving through even a puddle would slash your health way too much to be reasonable. And levis could be stopped cold by even shallow water, since they drove slowly enough to take serious damage before getting through.

Maybe a time-based system, where a vehicle gets two seconds grace period, and then takes damage each second equal to how many seconds they've been in the water. That way, if you're driving through water for five seconds, your vehicle takes only 12 points of damage, but at ten seconds, you've taken 52, and at twenty, you've taken 207. The damage will clearly be coming faster and faster, even if the players don't realize the exact system. Few vehicles will survive thirty seconds in any condition to continue. Unmanned vehicles can simply take double damage.

And Darkwarkers should definitely be able to wade.

Comment

There are lots of different ways to make water an obstacle other than damage; although it certainly is the easiest logistically.

They could make occupied vehicles buoyant but hard (impossible) to maneuver if they go too deep, and unoccupied vehicles sink and take damage (so that they're forced to respawn).

They could make some vehicles amphibious for all I care, as long as their speeds drop.

Comment

It sounds like the support is better then. I don't really have vehicle maps in mind for liquids, but DM ones. Maybe one where you have to swim for a U-Damage or something. Hehe.

One other thing about UT2004's water that bothered me is that it takes FOREVER to drown. You take 5 damage like every 3 seconds. Hopefully that'll be sped up again.

Comment

Perhaps 20 damage every 3 seconds. I also think there should be a bar, showing how long you are able to breath before you start taking damage.

Comment

If anything I think the Darkwalkers should be the ones to be killed by water (albeit I'll probably change my mind once I play the game, but from everything I've heard...) -- they seem on the verge of imbalance as it is.

Comment

One of the articles along the way the guy indicated they had weaknesses too. I would guess they could be easily toppled with the right weapon.

As far as op, if you looks at GOW, the rivers and such look very good.

Hopefully they do allow something like what has been mentioned here in making water damage more scaled based on how much and how long. Also on the vehicles itself. Some would be more waterproof than others I would expect.

Is there anyone here that isn't totally salivating at the thought of playing UT in the new engine?

Comment

So does anyone know if we would be able to ride hoverboards of these areas?

Comment

I'd like to see a depends-which-part-is-in-the-water-way. For example a darkwalker should get damage by having his feet in the water, but if the main cabin is under it it should really be painful.

Comment

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
                          If anything I think the Darkwalkers should be the ones to be killed by water (albeit I'll probably change my mind once I play the game, but from everything I've heard...) -- they seem on the verge of imbalance as it is.
                          Apparently they are actually overpowered right now, but balancing them shouldn't be too hard. I mean sure, they're mobile in the sense that they can climb mountains, but they seem to be incredibly slow and easy to hit.

Comment

Water damage for most vehicles in UT2k4 is ridiculous, considering the its set so far in the future and their millitary vehicles designed to move through shallow water even today. Dark Warkers should have an advantage of being able to use their long legs to move through shallow bodies of water, like on a map with islands, river's etc. Certainly, If a Land Vehicle goes into to deep water it should be destroyed, but it shouldn't take damage until its completey submerged and you should be able to escape.

Generally in UT, there were places you could swim. Water was handles a whole lot better. I hope thats returning. It adds a bit of variety tom maps that could be otherwise dull.

It would be nice to see water having different gameplay effects on all vehicles and weapons. Water should be a gameplay consideration rather than just a decoration.

I can definitely imagine a Warfare map on a chain of Islands with different millitary bases. One of the objectives in it would be to capture a millitary ship like in AS-Frigate. However, this time the ship would actually function as a player controlled vehicle. The Vessel would act a bit like a portable node, with its own turrets and a landing pad where Raptors/Furies could spawn.
                            Could even be one team's base etc etc

Comment

Darkwalkers should be able to wade through small ponds, but if they get into a very deep area, the current will push them and they will fall down.

Comment

Working...
                              X