Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BombingRun Announcement

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Alright, maybe this is a bit of an exageration but I`ve been playing the goodamned iBR since the ut2003 demo 1st day.... I been playing it over and over and over and me along with few teammates WILL NEVER GET BORED of "boosting yo balls" in iBR...
    If Catzen-dude for some weird reason would fail in doing it I would probably PAY some coder to bring the vibe back in UT3.
    -Walldodge
    -BoostJump (2k3) style option
    -Ball-Launcher

    and please no stupid HoverBoard, that would seriously be gay...we aint playing Tony Hawk ***board are we?

    And no i dont agree with taboen

    UT2004 destroyed the BR scene by removing the boostdodge, the community poked it by acting iTDMish camping etc..
    Now when i go back playing ut2003 i cry seeing how disrupted the game is >_< but hell yeah i would give myself in to get back the good ol`iBR

    SO PLEASE SHOW US THE BOMBINGBALLS ONCE MORE


    -FANboy

    Comment


      U didn't get what I ment did you bio? If the mod would be custom we would also be able to play it 2k3 style, just implement it in the mod! And you know epic will never do that...

      Comment


        BUMP!

        Comment


          Originally posted by BuZzedAGaiN View Post
          BUMP!

          Comment


            Originally posted by Jonny View Post
            That's a shame, bombing run is awful. Why not put your efforts into creating a DOM mod for ut3 with the ut99 style domination mode/maps.
            yes please make dom

            Comment


              Nice, just love BR! Do base it on UT2003

              Comment


                I, too, love BR. I've played it since the UT2003 days, when I fell in love with the game type. I can honestly say it is my favorite. It is also true that the community is small. However, if you want to see some fantastic BR playing, get on CrazyUncleBob's when there are a number of people on. I was in a couple of clans, here in the US, that was on top of a couple of different BR ladders for almost 18 months (normal weps, normal speed, FF to % 50, etc). Many of the people I played with, and against, during these ladder play years, are on Bob’s in the evenings.

                I think it wasn't a bigger hit because of its pretty large learning curve. Not only do you need to know how to frag decently (but you don't need to be a frag expert, although that definitely helps), you had to learn how to be a good passer and/or receiver, how to play good situational defense, and how to (as well as when to) properly provide cover for the ball carrier. Heck, you even had to know when to “take one for the team” and get fragged yourself (a tactic which has been referred to as being a “meatshield”), and even when to suicide.

                And, when played well, it is FAST -- much more so than many other game types -- even on normal speed settings. (This is why the translocator is a necessity.)

                It'd be great to see a UT3 mod for this. Ignore the naysayers. If they don't want to play it, they don't have to download it. If they want something else (like [D]DOM), then they can learn how to mod and make it themselves (or find someone else to make it).

                As for the translocator, I'd say make it like UT2004, with the drain on; this, more than anything else, promoted good teamwork in BR. That's what BR should be about, teamwork.

                BUT, if you put in the xloc drain, work on getting UT2003/4 movement in there as well, because there are times when there is no one to pass to, so the enhanced movement that UT2003/4 offers really helps a lone ball carrier stay alive until a teammate does become open for a pass.

                Finally, the passing should be like UT2004. The UT2003 passing, specifically the flight path of the ball, was very, very loose and sloppy. I was glad when they fixed that in UT2004.

                (And oh, BTW, it is interesting to note that there is a BR-ish mod for HL2, now, called Fortress Forever. Sounds like it needs more work, but it is interesting to note that the same "soccer" or "football" style of play is now a mod for another major gaming franchise.)

                Comment


                  Agreed papabear.
                  I love it too, but I came to the community when it was dieing, can't wait to play the mod in UT3.

                  Comment


                    the best part is getting a holy**** and scoring a goal!

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by BioHaZarD View Post
                      Alright, maybe this is a bit of an exageration but I`ve been playing the goodamned iBR since the ut2003 demo 1st day.... I been playing it over and over and over and me along with few teammates WILL NEVER GET BORED of "boosting yo balls" in iBR...
                      If Catzen-dude for some weird reason would fail in doing it I would probably PAY some coder to bring the vibe back in UT3.
                      -Walldodge
                      -BoostJump (2k3) style option
                      -Ball-Launcher

                      and please no stupid HoverBoard, that would seriously be gay...we aint playing Tony Hawk ***board are we?

                      And no i dont agree with taboen

                      UT2004 destroyed the BR scene by removing the boostdodge, the community poked it by acting iTDMish camping etc..

                      Now when i go back playing ut2003 i cry seeing how disrupted the game is >_< but hell yeah i would give myself in to get back the good ol`iBR

                      SO PLEASE SHOW US THE BOMBINGBALLS ONCE MORE


                      -FANboy
                      BR was played more in UT2004 per year than in UT2003. Without trans you had to master walldodges, movement, ball bounces, ball blocking, boost shooting and ball boosting. If you could do that, you could dominate a good shooter 10 times out of 10. I can't speak for RW BR in UT2004, but iBR kept UT2004 alive.
                      As soon as the first NBL season ended, everyone wanted a 2nd right away. We gave it a 4 month wait for the 2nd and had more teams, more interest and alot more players show up for it. The (A.S.S) clan played 36 different ppl in the 2nd season. [EX3] had 28 different players playing. ~uXc~ had about 23 or 24. The teams with the best teamwork did the best in the season.
                      I am hoping we get something similar to what was in UT2004 to start a 3rd season. We would be looking at more teams playing with a possible "corporate sponsor" involved in the league. We had a blast and I wanna do it again

                      Comment


                        i loved iBR, i really loved each mod of ut2k4, y played each mod and got addicted to it for like a month and i would jump to another mod. Now i play TAM 99% of the time and 1% ICTF

                        Comment


                          BR is a revolution in online gaming, a true online sport. I'm another BR player who has been hooked since the UT2003 demo and I'm also one of the few who has played a significant amount of all the different forms of BR (game settings from combinations of instagib, regular weapons, low gravity, normal gravity, 100% gamespeed, 135% gamespeed, translocator drain, no translocator drain, even translocator disabled altogether). There are several clear reasons why BR has failed to establish a sustained and flourishing community.

                          1. Learning curve. It takes many hours of gameplay for a newbie to understand what is going on, much less contribute to his team. If a newbie gets the ball he is likely to cost his team a goal. Not fun for the newbie or the experienced player, and I have no solution to this problem. It 'worked' back in 2002 because we were all newbies and learnt to play together. If a significant number of new players are going to come to the game a thriving newbie community is required, but a thriving newbie community is dependent on new players...

                          2. Intransigent communities. There were/are about 6 different BR communities, each based around their own choices of game settings. These communities tend to be self-contained, with most players sticking to just their chosen type. This is partly related to the learning curve problem, as even a great lgig135/trans player is unlikely to be much good at nwng100/trans-drain on first playing. In this respect the ‘experienced players’ are often as bad as the newbies they criticise for giving up too easily. Give different game settings a chance – I now enjoy ‘default settings’ just as much as I enjoy lgig135. BR is still the same great game once you have learned how to play! OK, it’s not quite as simple as that and some game settings have such a big effect that the gameplay is inordinately altered, but I think any player would enjoy at least 3 of the 6 styles. I think BR reduces to two predominant philosophies: those who enjoy gameplay that emphasises beating the opposition by outmanoeuvring them through fast movement and teamwork; and those who prefer to win by dominating the opposition through shooting to gain territorial advantage as a team. The translocator is probably the major factor in this divide.

                          3. Related to 2. The UT2003 communities were further fractured by the advent of UT2004, with many players confining themselves to just one of the two games. The only significant differences are the tweaked passing and the option for translocator drain in UT2004. The same point I made in 2. also applies here: the experienced players are at fault for refusing to learn to play both ways. Yes, the changes add new dimensions to the learning curve but either form of BR is great as long as you take the time to learn to play.

                          4. Bugs! Myriad bugs from the UT2003 demo were never fixed. Several different forms of ‘goal bug’, ‘ball bug’, etc, I’m sure everyone is wearily familiar with them! UT2004 then introduced a couple of new bugs with its tweaked passing, both resulting in the ball flying off out of the map and getting stuck to the ceiling. These bugs are a big disincentive to competitive play.

                          5. Maps. Most players agree that the new BR maps in UT2004 were terrible. In fact, BR when played on Colossus, the UT2004 demo map, bears little resemblance to the BR that is played on any of the favourite maps. The gameplay is awful, it just isn’t BR. The UT2003 BR community was to a significant extent fostered in the demo. How many new players were lost as a result of playing Colossus in 2004? I know I would never have played if Colossus had been the UT2003 demo map. By not fixing the bugs and fobbing us off with inferior maps Epic did BR a cruel disservice.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by Jacob View Post
                            BR is a revolution in online gaming, a true online sport. I'm another BR player who has been hooked since the UT2003 demo and I'm also one of the few who has played a significant amount of all the different forms of BR (game settings from combinations of instagib, regular weapons, low gravity, normal gravity, 100% gamespeed, 135% gamespeed, translocator drain, no translocator drain, even translocator disabled altogether). There are several clear reasons why BR has failed to establish a sustained and flourishing community.

                            1. Learning curve. It takes many hours of gameplay for a newbie to understand what is going on, much less contribute to his team. If a newbie gets the ball he is likely to cost his team a goal. Not fun for the newbie or the experienced player, and I have no solution to this problem. It 'worked' back in 2002 because we were all newbies and learnt to play together. If a significant number of new players are going to come to the game a thriving newbie community is required, but a thriving newbie community is dependent on new players...

                            2. Intransigent communities. There were/are about 6 different BR communities, each based around their own choices of game settings. These communities tend to be self-contained, with most players sticking to just their chosen type. This is partly related to the learning curve problem, as even a great lgig135/trans player is unlikely to be much good at nwng100/trans-drain on first playing. In this respect the ‘experienced players’ are often as bad as the newbies they criticise for giving up too easily. Give different game settings a chance – I now enjoy ‘default settings’ just as much as I enjoy lgig135. BR is still the same great game once you have learned how to play! OK, it’s not quite as simple as that and some game settings have such a big effect that the gameplay is inordinately altered, but I think any player would enjoy at least 3 of the 6 styles. I think BR reduces to two predominant philosophies: those who enjoy gameplay that emphasises beating the opposition by outmanoeuvring them through fast movement and teamwork; and those who prefer to win by dominating the opposition through shooting to gain territorial advantage as a team. The translocator is probably the major factor in this divide.

                            3. Related to 2. The UT2003 communities were further fractured by the advent of UT2004, with many players confining themselves to just one of the two games. The only significant differences are the tweaked passing and the option for translocator drain in UT2004. The same point I made in 2. also applies here: the experienced players are at fault for refusing to learn to play both ways. Yes, the changes add new dimensions to the learning curve but either form of BR is great as long as you take the time to learn to play.

                            4. Bugs! Myriad bugs from the UT2003 demo were never fixed. Several different forms of ‘goal bug’, ‘ball bug’, etc, I’m sure everyone is wearily familiar with them! UT2004 then introduced a couple of new bugs with its tweaked passing, both resulting in the ball flying off out of the map and getting stuck to the ceiling. These bugs are a big disincentive to competitive play.

                            5. Maps. Most players agree that the new BR maps in UT2004 were terrible. In fact, BR when played on Colossus, the UT2004 demo map, bears little resemblance to the BR that is played on any of the favourite maps. The gameplay is awful, it just isn’t BR. The UT2003 BR community was to a significant extent fostered in the demo. How many new players were lost as a result of playing Colossus in 2004? I know I would never have played if Colossus had been the UT2003 demo map. By not fixing the bugs and fobbing us off with inferior maps Epic did BR a cruel disservice.
                            That was deeeeeeppp. My biggest issue when I started was the learning curve. I was a decent iCTF played who could move well with a half decent shot, so I sat back and had trouble going at the ball. I am glad I had db cr, db ian and [EiF]Vega to give pointers and also learn from specing.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by [EX3]Cobra_XP View Post
                              That was deeeeeeppp. My biggest issue when I started was the learning curve. I was a decent iCTF played who could move well with a half decent shot, so I sat back and had trouble going at the ball. I am glad I had db cr, db ian and [EiF]Vega to give pointers and also learn from specing.
                              Yes, there are very few willing to take the time to spec (and understandably - I don't think I would), and many players prefer to bash the noobs instead of helping them. Add to that that the translocator adds almost exponentially to the learning curve and the problem is obvious .

                              Comment


                                Not all maps in UT2004 were bad. take canyon for example. Also there are custom BR maps. Competitive groups should not play only on standart maps.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X