No announcement yet.

BombingRun Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i really miss the 2k3 transloc style. for me, the change in 2k4 really killed it for me .. kinda took away the fast pace style of the game. also, i couldn't do what i liked to do best - run the ball.
    i don't know if anyone remembers me, but i'll make the lofty comment of saying i was the best ball runner in 2k3.
    alas, that was 2k3 and the days of skyline and other fave br maps are long gone for me, because of the transloc change.

i can still say though, that i did womp fatal1ty in a BR game i challenged him to. is he still around?

anyone else despise the xloc change or is it just me?

Comment

In 1vs1/2, I prefer not to have a translocator drain. In 2vs2 and above, I want the drain to be in because it really encourages teamwork to run the ball.

Comment

Originally posted by N6CreepyD View Post
        I imagine it will be similar to the original UT. Run to base, get flag, run back to base, cap.
        yeah it was pretty boring and slow back in UT99.

Comment

Hi Catzenjaeger!
          Hello everybody!

I'm glad you're doing a remake of this game type, which in my opinion was an excellent idea from the start.

Let me tell you how I see Bombing Run myself, and this is from the time I first played it in UT2K3 demo. At that time I posted on the Atari Forums, asking if my idea could be implemented, but well, it was not.

I think Bombing Run is a great mod/idea, but should be more along the lines of team combat action, rather than sport. I totally agree and support passing the ball (I will call it bomb from now on) around, that makes for great team play, and I am 1000% (one thousand%) for team play.

However the way I see it goes like this: players would pass the bomb around and reach the opponent's side, once they get there the goal would be to safely throw the bomb into/inside the enemy base (in a certain designated area, a zone defined while making the map), where it would explode causing damage and destroy everything (vehicles, players, damage the base itself) inside a certain blast radius. The "within points" damage zone could include any part of the base, or the entire base.

Once the bomb is thrown and touched the ground (inside that specific zone), there would be 3 seconds countdown time, after which the ball would explode, if not picked up by another player. When the bomb would go off would be nice to shake the base and smoke its walls more like a real explosion.

Scoring would be quite simple the closer you throw the ball to a certain point in the damage zone, the more points your team would score. Now if you would throw the ball exactly on the mark point the bomb would go off instantaneously, when it touches that mark, and you would score maximum points.

Keep in mind that you have to be far enough, outside the blast radius when the bomb goes off, otherwise no points would be awarded, if the player that throws the bomb dies in the explosion.

To increase team play the bomb could be set to go off, and explode if not passed within a certain period of time (x seconds).

Now, please let me know if this sounds good to you, and is doable.

Thank you!
          Diamax

Comment

The idea sounds good, but I do not believe that it would be convertible. This thing ends only in spamm around the bomb zone

Comment

How about if there is more than one bomb zone, the players cannot camp around one area, so they will spread out in any case.

Comment

I think that people should go back and play the mod that Bombing Run came from: Fragball for UT1. This will give you an idea of what Bombing Run could have been. The announcement of Bombing Run killed plans to convert that mod, and it's too bad, since Fragball had a stronger community than Bombing Run ever developed, which is saying something, given that Fragball is a mod, and Bombing Run was an official gametype.

Fragball was a far better experience. Far wilder, and way more fun.

Comment

Originally posted by oceaN[nova] View Post
                  Nope. The good old GibGames servers were by far the most popular in UT2003 BR. And its far more satisfying running your way through the enemy courtyard outdodging all your opponents, than just throwing the ball and translocating your way to it.
                  lowgrav/ig/1.35 game speed, xloc ON was the most popular UT2K3 and 2k4 bombing run settings. all the game ladders ran those.

if you're good with the xloc and have good aim, you can easily stop a person 'dribbling' their way past with the xloc and self-passing.

Comment

Originally posted by Diamax View Post
                    How about if there is more than one bomb zone, the players cannot camp around one area, so they will spread out in any case.
                    I don't know, this doesn't sound BR anymore, maybe there could be a developpment of this but AFTER the BR itself.

Originally posted by Raad11 View Post
                    lowgrav/ig/1.35 game speed, xloc ON was the most popular UT2K3 and 2k4 bombing run settings. all the game ladders ran those.

if you're good with the xloc and have good aim, you can easily stop a person 'dribbling' their way past with the xloc and self-passing.
                    true, I remember when i used to play on Parba's BR-Anubis only, the game was just perfect. No one was complaining about xloc, lag, noobs...and we were all pinging pretty ****ty . Said that, the ut2003 BR style and it's own world are far gone from ut2004. sad to say but on the other hand people who played that i'm pretty sure they felt great about it.

Originally posted by Hedge-o-Matic View Post
                    I think that people should go back and play the mod that Bombing Run came from: Fragball for UT1. This will give you an idea of what Bombing Run could have been. The announcement of Bombing Run killed plans to convert that mod, and it's too bad, since Fragball had a stronger community than Bombing Run ever developed, which is saying something, given that Fragball is a mod, and Bombing Run was an official gametype.

Fragball was a far better experience. Far wilder, and way more fun.
                    Killed? I never played Fragball for UT, but BR did not kill anything. Not many UT99 players changed to UT2003 or if they did just for a little time.
                    I wouldn't say BR killed FB, maybe just replaced a custom mod with a kickass gametype, i think whoever played FB should be proud of having given the idea for UT2003's BR.

Comment

Originally posted by BioHaZarD View Post
                      Killed? I never played Fragball for UT, but BR did not kill anything.
                      This means you are, unfortunately, probably not well informed. After the announcement of Bombing Run, the guy that had done Fragball posted on his site that he wouldn't be porting Fragball to 2k3, and gave Bombing Run as the reason. I'd have to say, yeah, there was a pretty direct link. Given how disappointing BR turned out to be, all things considered, I miss Fragball all the more.

Comment

i guess DOM mod is better than bombing run god but ut99 dom style cuz the ut2003 and ut2004 was more easy to win....

Comment

I don't know why the complaining, myself. Personally, I'd like to see both bombing run and domination. But I only play with friends, not on giant public servers with irritating kids...And I wrote a mod that choses a random map for a random game type for UT2004, so the more game types from UT2004, the better for all of us.

...Although I admit I always prefered UT99 style domination over UT2004 double domination...

In any case, you are my HERO for bringing Bombing Run back! I was getting worried!

Comment

Originally posted by oceaN[nova] View Post
                            No translocator please!
                            That can be taken off in server settings

Comment

Originally posted by The5thviruz View Post
                              Did you run this through Babelfish a couple of times before posting?
                              Aw give the man a break. He's not American.

(it's an inside joke Xyz might find funny)

(ha, another inside joke!)

Comment

Bombing run was heavily under rated

Comment

Working...
                                X