BombingRun Announcement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by The5thviruz View Post
    Did you run this through Babelfish a couple of times before posting?
    agreed, if i'm wrong then i apologize but my only assumption of what that meant is that your asking why people want to make more modes when it will only thin-out the community.

thus, your asking people not to make modes

anyway, i think people are complaining because they're suggesting to this team they make something else rather than BR. altho i would like to see BR if it was done well, i think the maps let it down in UT200x

Comment

Yeah Catzenjaeger, keep on working...or work as soon as UT3 is released ;P BR is one of the coolest GameTypes...IMO...*thumbs up*

Comment

No matter how I look at it, Xyx' post seems to be flawless english.

Anyhow, in reply to Xyx, a quick check in the serverbrowser shows me there are currently 18 people playing BR. If those 18 people were playing TDM right now, that would make TDM a happening spot just yet. I don't think the problem with having too many gamemodes is that it spreads the community too thin. Bigger problems are that 1. a large amount of gametypes is daunting for new players and 2. making content that isn't going to be played excessively is a waste of development time that could be spent on modes that do get played.
        Obviously neither apply to 3rd party mods; the first because these mods don't show up for new players, the second because... well, you know.

Comment

unfortunatly many people rely too heavily on downloading mutators on the client servers (and whats stored in their cache) before entering games, instead on actually searching sites find various new game "modes" to download. It would be nice if Epic annouced new user made game modes on their news section ingame. I would have never found out about the "jailbreak" mod if Epic had not annouced it as "news". another problem is why have a new game mode IF nobody is able to see it? unless they specifically install that game type, and only then it will become visible under the game types tab. I remember "4way CTF" was quite fun, but few people knew about it or cared to download a couple hundred megs worth of files. I for one loved "bombing run" but seeing half filled severs and people flaming newbs for screwing was not my idea of a good time.

Comment

Perhaps Epic chose that which not to do because players were spreading themselves too thin

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
              because is was the nature of what was said, not how it was written

xuxa was spot on, think I said the same thing in the Mods thread. I dunno if this 'thin' argument is realistic, UT2004's problem (several months after release) was the lack of players continuing to play the game. I don't think Epic made less modes with this in mind, I think they just wanted to reduce work-load, which is fair enough.

Comment

Question ye my grammar, good sir? Ye best explain your grievances, then, lest there be some misunderstanding. 'tis nae flawed.

Thank ye, good sir. I concur.

Bigger problems are that 1. a large amount of gametypes is daunting for new players and 2. making content that isn't going to be played excessively is a waste of development time that could be spent on modes that do get played.
                That, too, except I think Onslaught might detract a tad more from Warfare, Warfare being new, Onslaught being old and people generally being stuck in their ways...

Originally posted by xuxa View Post
                unfortunatly many people rely too heavily on downloading mutators on the client servers (and whats stored in their cache) before entering games, instead on actually searching sites find various new game "modes" to download.
                The problem with that approach is that you then have to find servers to play those modes on. The other way around is usually easier: find a server and then downloading whatever it hosts.

Originally posted by xuxa View Post
                It would be nice if Epic annouced new user made game modes on their news section ingame.
                They did, except... they didn't much.

Comment

Well the only reason I played UT was because of BR. I'm not really interested in any of the other gametypes to be honest. Yes the community is rather small but theres still some people that would like to see BR in UT3. Our servers were rather busy back in the day. LG TL 135spd

Comment

I got your back cr. I'd definitely play some BR in UT3. In fact, I was sorely disappointed when it was announced that there wouldn't be a BR game mode in UT3.

BR was decently popular back in UT2K3 but it seems like some physics changes (perhaps?) in 2K4 turned people off from the gametype.

Comment

Do it, make the ball lock on like 2k3 though. The 2k4 ball lock on is retarded.

2k3 BR was the funnest gametype that I have played in UT period.

Screenies that represent the last period of time I had the most fun in UT:

http://jimmyfrost.com/images/brmatchks.jpg
                      http://jimmyfrost.com/images/3rdbrmatch.jpg

Comment

omg proboscis

Comment

I think this is great!

For me... BR, the way I liked to play it, meant a completely different look and feel for me than the other game types. I am part of the IG LG TL 135speed community that started back in the 2k3 demo days playing Anubis. The low gravity and increased speed created a game that was fast paced and high-flying... where learning to use the transloc was vital.

For me... the feel of this gametype was drastically different than the slower grind of real weapons play... which I definitely liked in other game types, but didn't so much in BR.

I would love to see the mod creators include some input from players from this type of gamestyle as well... there is room enough for all of us BR lovers! All we need is a solid set of configurable options, and we can all play the game type that we love.

Personally... I think Epic 'missed the ball' with BR... I think that the style that we play it would draw in a completely different type of player, as the game type appeals to more of a run-and-gun sporty type player than a strict weapons one. Instead of making new game types with a similar feel to the old ones... they might could have attracted completely different types of players to the game.

Anyways... I am looking forward to the mod... and I know lots of other people (like dbcr and dbchuck above) that will be as well if it is able to be configured as we like it... here's hoping!

Comment

BR is an awesome game mode... mayb not many play it... does not mean it sucks... i look @ it as a soccer game in ut... if u have people who know how to play... know the maps well... u can pull off some awesome passes...

well... every mode in ut rocked and still rocks... even assault, double domination, and the maps are awesomely designed to suit those game modes as well... all that is needed is a bunch of people who know how to play em and u can have loads of fun...

Comment

Originally posted by Jonny View Post
                              That's a shame, bombing run is awful. Why not put your efforts into creating a DOM mod for ut3 with the ut99 style domination mode/maps.
                              Cuz DOM is awful..

Comment

Originally posted by Sam Stride View Post
                                BR is an awesome game mode... mayb not many play it... does not mean it sucks... i look @ it as a soccer game in ut... if u have people who know how to play... know the maps well... u can pull off some awesome passes...

well... every mode in ut rocked and still rocks... even assault, double domination, and the maps are awesomely designed to suit those game modes as well... all that is needed is a bunch of people who know how to play em and u can have loads of fun...
                                **** yes brother!

Comment

Working...
                                X