Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
    UT2k3 the last time you played BR?
    You can't translocate after throwing the ball in UT2k4.
    If you knew the BR community you would know that most BR players hated the "translocator drain" when you throw the ball So I reckon that when this mod is released, there will not be a translocator drain.

Comment

Originally posted by Mardok View Post
      The GibGames may be popular, but by the way the mod looks, it's not a Gib.

Also, have you even played BR in 2004? They got rid of that feature, whenever you toss the ball, your Xloc count goes down to -2, so you have to wait 3 passes until you can translocate again. That feature made BR a lot more about passing to teammates in 2004. Go play it sometime, Crazy Uncle Bob and UUT & Friends are two good servers. The rest are just Gib servers.
      GibGames was an American server provider, its not related to instagib. I played BR without trans loads in UT2003 but sadly this community died in UT2004. But I played enough on Jolt (with translocator sadly) and in the BR cup with the mixed teams.

http://home.kabelfoon.nl/~robste/scr...8-Dec-2003.gif

And how can I forget the Frag Your Friends tournaments, which were also without trans:

http://www.sdclan.com/homepage/fyf/fyf1.htm
      http://www.sdclan.com/homepage/fyf/fyf2.htm
      http://www.sdclan.com/homepage/fyf/fyf3.htm
      http://www.sdclan.com/homepage/fyf/fyf4.htm (didn't participate myself here)

Comment

Originally posted by oceaN[nova] View Post
        If you knew the BR community you would know that most BR players hated the "translocator drain" when you throw the ball So I reckon that when this mod is released, there will not be a translocator drain.
        Then it doesn't sound like a good idea to remove the x-loc.

Comment

Please, remake style of your site, white text on black background is bad for eyes; also make font bigger (12pts) and other preset (verdana, courier) - that is not readable now.

BR is interesting mode, though, one of the difficult, in term of teamplay. Dont know how it will work without dodje jumps, maybe needed faster health regenerate than in UT2004.

Comment

Originally posted by oceaN[nova] View Post
            Nope. The good old GibGames servers were by far the most popular in UT2003 BR. And its far more satisfying running your way through the enemy courtyard outdodging all your opponents, than just throwing the ball and translocating your way to it.
            Funny, I remember quite a few servers in 2k3 that had the TL on and were still full almost 24/7
            Hell, there was even an EO/BR server that was almost impossible to find a slot on

Comment

Would you guys consider including "translocator-free zones" in the new version.

The annoying part for me with the TL isn't transloacting to the enemy base,
              But people translocating right past the fighting area and to the goal. (evading the potentially fun battles)
              I think it would be more fun for both parties if it was impossible to translocate to places near the goal. It's much more satisfying to do that last stretch on foot, or atleast I think so.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                Whats that sposed to mean, I actually like bombing run too bad the bots suck cause I aint go no one else to play against. Infact I like BR better then DDom, mind you cDom is better,,,

I guess some people just dont like assisting others, its called teamplay@
                I was refering to your "the shieldgun was made for bombing run" statement...which makes no sense. The only time I ever pulled out a shieldgun was for a desperate block at the goal (prim fire, that is, which the impact hammer is equally good at)...in all other instances, pretty much any weapon beats it. And trying to advance on an enemy bomb runner is just stupid: he'll pass the ball before you get even close to him.

I'm not sure what that statement about assisting is about. If it's about the bots, then I agree: their AI is terrible. Any half-decent online player knows how to use the translocator to get into a good position to receive a pass (and even make a few translo-skips in the direction of their goal while the ball is in the air). Bots just get in the way.

It's too bad I only started playing in UT2004 (I can only dream of multiple full servers ). As such, I can't comment how the translocator draining was considered a bad idea. It enhances teamplay, doesn't it?

Comment

Well I was talking about using the shieldgun to stop people hitting the bomb runner specifically snipers. Kinda like protecting the quaterback with a blocker. You can even use two or four people with 2 behind with link guns and just force your way right down the middle.

Personally I never liked the translocator, it was best in UT99's ctf I rekon so yeah in 2k4 I opt to play without it myself.

I guess some people just dont play the way I would and fail to see there is more then just the mainstream accepted ways of playing, with this win at all cost type attitude. Sure I'll use everything I have at my disposal but things are going so far that things are rarely fun anymore.

Translocator draining was definatly a good move I think myself as yes it enhances teamplay and makes people fight on occasion. The shieldgun in CTF just watered it down even more while I can see the use of it in TDM I really think it has the most potential as being a defensive option for protecting bomb runners as you can only use the balllauncher you need a second player or two to use the shield.

Just the way I see it, it doesnt mean that I shouldnt be playing bombing run though!

Comment

I think the shieldgun works fairly well in team objective based games, it not as easy as "abusing" the shield in DM for example.

I'm not sure about the translocator, on some maps it works rather well (Icefields works great with, Skyline too). But on maps like Anubis you can have great battles when one entire team is rushing into the other team's courtyard, it's kind of tug-of-war but I think it's great fun.
                    Actually I'm wondering if BR would work well with hoverboards instead of a TL?
                    That could also open new gameplay possibilities.

If there is gonna be BR for UT3 I hope adrenaline will be implemented again, speed works great in BR ^^

Comment

Bombing run is more fun without the trans, but the maps were made with the trans in mind, you could now change that though. Also, are you planning to port the maps? Because apart from Anubis & Icefields, I thought the BR maps were awful. The huge flashing arrows telling you where to go all the time also made the whole thing feel very un-UT-ish. I'm suprised you choosed bombing run as your mode to remake, but thankyou for making your mods.

Is anyone gonna make assault? Or am I gonna have to learn Uscript...

Comment

Bombing run is the only gametype I enjoyed using the translocator in, although it's just as fun without it, in a different sort of way. The TL drain in 2k4 made the gameplay far superior, in terms of teamwork required. No more lone speed-boosted ball runs!

The shieldgun was also my favorite option in BR, after the biorifle. I really liked playing sweeper, clearing out the enemy ahead of the ball runner, or, in extremis, absorbing firepower meant for the ball carrier using the shieldgun. I think this is what Olympus Mons was referring to. (We seem to have similar playing styles and likes/dislikes.)

I think any proper recreation of BR would need the shieldgun, and would be well advised to keep the TL drain as well. People who complain about it are the ones who played solo, running the ball alone using just the TL and speed combos. Not much fun for the other players, and making for very lame spectating as well!

Hopefully the bot AI in the mod will understand the role of the sweeper, and not throw the ball forward to the foremost defenders. This idiotic tendency, as well as the "I'll defend you from back here!" mindset of the bots, made BR games way too long. The players, AI or not, should understand that the ball carrier is not the best front-runner. Four or five people shooting at the ball carrier at the same time makes the ball-healing feature a joke, and creates the endless-turnaround style that alienated people when they tried it offline. With better AI, that makes people actually enjoy playing, BR will better succeed online.

Comment

Originally posted by Destini View Post
                          Is anyone gonna make assault? Or am I gonna have to learn Uscript...
                          Take a lesson from the Assault 2k3 team. They made an Assault mod for 2k3, and, on its most active online day, it had exactly zero servers. This mod was very, very close to UT1's assault mode; far closer in feel than the 2k4 version. A great effort, but a complete waste of time, since nobody supported it with maps or servers. For all their clamoring, the "hardcore" Assault community didn't support the mod at all.

Save the hours of your life. You'll never get them back.

Comment

Originally posted by Catzenjaeger View Post
                            BombingRun for Unreal Tournament 3
                            Is that an intentional misspelling? My gametype list mentions "Bombing Run".

Comment

Originally posted by Hedge-o-Matic View Post
                              Take a lesson from the Assault 2k3 team. They made an Assault mod for 2k3, and, on its most active online day, it had exactly zero servers. This mod was very, very close to UT1's assault mode; far closer in feel than the 2k4 version. A great effort, but a complete waste of time, since nobody supported it with maps or servers. For all their clamoring, the "hardcore" Assault community didn't support the mod at all.

Save the hours of your life. You'll never get them back.
                              i'd be making it for the UT2004 assault community, but yes, I doubt I'd actually waste the time in doing it

Comment

so let me get this straight, it´s gonna be a mod? cool, im in. I liked that game type alot, but I only play it against the bots in UTo4, so i dont gotta worry about translocating to urself, or shieldguns, or any other of this crazy kid lingo u n00bi3s got!

hedge-o-mati, i also know where ur coming from as far as ur BR post up top, i dont think its cool when the bots, or anyone else tries to cover you from behind. I could see this game being alot like football or rugby if there was an even small measure of teamwork.

Comment

Working...
                                X