Your UnrealEd Wishlist

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your UnrealEd Wishlist

This is for anyone who is excited about the new editor..
    Of course not all is known about the editor yet..
    What new tools or additions are you hoping it will have?

Here is my wish list-

1. Video importing.. so you can import videos with or without audio played or projected on a 3d mesh surface.. (since watching the trailer.. I think it might be possible.. but I am not sure if the trailer was all made in UED.)
    2. Multiple songs in a map.. (I know there is a script that you can setup to change the music over time.. but it would be cool to select 2-3 songs in the map properties that change according to the action. So if the player is winning the music changes.. if the player is losing the music changes.. etc.)
    3. Playing god with weather.. (It allows the map maker full control of weather by just going into the map's properties.)
    4. The ability to make breakable meshes easier into a map- Glass, stone, etc.

Im sure this is obviously in but please no vertex lighting on static meshes. Vertex lighting in the past caused some horrible black shading artifacts on meshes. Looking at Gears of War I saw none of this so it looks like the new renderer is lighting meshes per pixel. Yay!!!!!

I would also like some great terrain tools and have BSP and models automatically cull geometry behind it like cry engine 2 uses.

Comment

I want it to be at least 18 times easier. With the last one all i could make was a square level, and now the screens all white and i can't change it back. At leas make a noob version or tutorial.

Comment

My three main UED wishes are:

1. Ability to build HUGE (When I mean huge I mean HUGE) outdoor areas. I'm talking about maps where the distances from end-to-end are measured in miles, not hundreds of metres. I would like to build such places myself. Based on what I've seen this seems to be quite possible.

2. Extension of GrimmBigBadWolf's wish - the ability to change the weather of the entire map during the game i.e. overcast weather with occasional showers.

3. Easy to set up sequences i.e. cutscenes, destruction of buildings, patrols and so forth. From the looks of things this has been already been fulfiled though I haven't seen much evidence of it just yet.

Comment

A Link Editor for WAR maps that allows one to:

a. Move the core to any node.
          b. Have one-way links... i.e. allow you to capture a node, but not proceed from there. This would allow for nodes that are always contestable, or that are strategic, but not required.

I'd also like a mandatory tutorial before allowing players to join servers (a server option).

Comment

Originally posted by armagon917 View Post
            Im sure this is obviously in but please no vertex lighting on static meshes. Vertex lighting in the past caused some horrible black shading artifacts on meshes. Looking at Gears of War I saw none of this so it looks like the new renderer is lighting meshes per pixel. Yay!!!!!

I would also like some great terrain tools and have BSP and models automatically cull geometry behind it like cry engine 2 uses.
            oh yeah i know exactly what you mean.. ek..
            I to hope this is fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by GrimmBigBadWolf View Post
              Here is my wish list-
              1. Video importing -- Could be a cool idea, but I dunno, there could be issues with codecs so this is really tricky to begin with :/
              2. Multiple songs in a map - This was allready available in UT99 (or UT1 if u prefer), you can change the song simply using triggers. (This was mostly used in Monster Hunt maps). So I don't see a problem regarding this in UT3.

Comment

This may seem odd, but I can think of three improvements to copy 'n' paste. Listed in order of importance:

1) fix the 'pivot'*. If you copied a group of objects several times and then rotated them, the objects end up half-way across the editor. If the pivot were reset for every paste, I'd be happy.
                2) don't displace a copy in a dimension you can't control, e.g. if you're in top down view, don't displace upwards. This would stop the needless change-view-and-shift-by-32-then-change-view-back thing.
                3) don't always displace by 32. This is rather annoying when you're grid is set to anything larger than 32, since you have to go down into 32-size, shift the thing back onto the larger grid lines, then go back up into 512-size.

And yes, I do use C 'n' P too much!

* the thing you rotate around. I'm sure it has a proper name, but I can't think of it

Comment

Originally posted by Malevol3nt View Post
                  2. Multiple songs in a map - This was allready available in UT99 (or UT1 if u prefer), you can change the song simply using triggers. (This was mostly used in Monster Hunt maps). So I don't see a problem regarding this in UT3.
                  Well it's just an extra feature a map artist could use.. would be cool to see this used in Warfare.

Comment

2. Extension of GrimmBigBadWolf's wish - the ability to change the weather of the entire map during the game i.e. overcast weather with occasional showers.

3. Easy to set up sequences i.e. cutscenes, destruction of buildings, patrols and so forth. From the looks of things this has been already been fulfiled though I haven't seen much evidence of it just yet.
                    These things sound cool, and more:

1. Fix the nasty bugs UED has, like the editor crashing randomly, crashing when you press 'back' after moving a projector etc. Also the pivot one mentioned, and the way the red builder brush likes to dissapear until you zoom way out and press 'transform permenantly'.
                    2. Never let any BSP EVER LEAVE THE GRID. If you can go down to the detail of one unreal unit i see no need for BSP to ever leave the grid. It makes BSP maps painstaking to make as brushes seem to find their way nanometres off the grid onto another brush, and then you get whole panels dissapearing and have to rebuild a whole section again, it's a nightmare epic please fix that!
                    3. An option to stop bots from driving vehicles down normal path nodes.
                    4. A way to get security camera screens to work online.
                    5. A way to place weapons on the ground (ut99 style) so they don't spin online.
                    6. Possibly a help section for new mappers as to where they can get programs for making static meshes and creating levels.

Otherwise the landscape's i've seen look stunning and i can't wait to get my hands on this editor. Kismet sounds awesome too it is really needed.

Comment

here's my wishes:

1.) Texture & smesh browser with (imported) textures & smeshes that are forced into logical groups, and also not have these scattered about in obscure texture pack filenames.

2.) An in-editor (good quality) static mesh maker; but i know this is unrealistic.

Comment

Originally posted by Luv_Studd View Post
                        here's my wishes:

1.) Texture & smesh browser with (imported) textures & smeshes that are forced into logical groups, and also not have these scattered about in obscure texture pack filenames.

2.) An in-editor (good quality) static mesh maker; but i know this is unrealistic.
                        those are good.
                        I just got another idea after reading yours..

The ability to categorize textures and smeshes.. with- Wood, metal, plastic, etc. or Sci-fi, horror, etc.
                        The map maker can then click through categories and just bring up textures of meshes he or she is looking for.

Comment

My only UED3 wish is to get hold of it (the UT3 version not the roboblitz version) ASAP

After that, I will wish for tons of spare time to actually start mapping again!

Comment

Originally posted by armagon917 View Post
                            Yes.

Originally posted by GrimmBigBadWolf View Post
                            The ability to categorize textures and smeshes.. with- Wood, metal, plastic, etc. or Sci-fi, horror, etc.
                            The map maker can then click through categories and just bring up textures of meshes he or she is looking for.
                            Yes.

Originally posted by Jonny View Post
                            2. Never let any BSP EVER LEAVE THE GRID. If you can go down to the detail of one unreal unit i see no need for BSP to ever leave the grid. It makes BSP maps painstaking to make as brushes seem to find their way nanometres off the grid onto another brush, and then you get whole panels dissapearing and have to rebuild a whole section again, it's a nightmare epic please fix that!
                            YES!!

I can hardly think of anything else that we've already had experience with. As for new stuff I hope optimizing terrain is improved and interactive surroudings are fairly easy to work with. Very excited to work with the new stuff!

Comment

-Hierarchical Groups.
                              -Better grouping options in general. For any team-based gametype I'd really like to be able to select all of the items in a specific group and duplicate them into a new group rather than having to create the new group, add them to it, then remove them from the previous group.
                              -3D viewport "Groups" view which assigns objects in each group a coloration similar to the way the Zone view works.
                              -Search for actors with actor properties parameters

I don't know that "remove the ability to create BSP off the grid" will work, since you're pretty much guaranteed vertices off the grid if you want to create a Cylinder or Sphere, etc... But having an option to zero out decimal values (like having an item with a vertex at position of 12.0000001, which can happen with rotating or otherwise manipulating a brush) on the vertices of selected brushes would be nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X