New Comp For UT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Luseferous View Post
    Unreal Butcher: Anything based around an AMD x2 or a Core 2 Duo will be fine as long as it has a PCI Express graphics slot. (Not to be confused with a PCI slot) Be careful when buying a pc with onboard graphics as it may well be missing this.

Something like this would make a better gamers pc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16883102027

It won't have the tv tuner and the other extras the HP offers but it comes with a reasonable graphics card and will be less limited for an upgrade path.

I don't know the brand but from the images on the site they seem to use good quality parts. (Asus motherboard and Corsair XMS RAM)
    Wow. That's a pretty good deal. Might buy it so I can sell it on Ebay for a profit.

Comment

Originally posted by Kold_ View Post
      You can't directly compare the GHz in Intel and AMD processors because they each have different architectures. The E6400 has a default clock speed of 2.13 GHz and it's way faster than the 5000+ with a default clock speed of 2.6GHz. On top of that once you OC the E6400 to 3GHz on stock cooling, it's faster than an X6800!
      I was kinda wondering something..

Could the different architectures between CPUs cause problems for software designed by the other processor?

A problem similar to designing with games optimized for the Radion and the GF GPUs?

Comment

Ok, I want to know if you guys think I will be able to run high end games on low settings with these specs. I am just looking for a good framerate. No fancy stuff.

Intel Core Duo 2 GHz
        ATI Radeon x1600 256 VRAM
        1 GB DDR2 RAM

Comment

I was kinda wondering something..

Could the different architectures between CPUs cause problems for software designed by the other processor?
          It is possible but amazingly unlikely. AMD have been making Intel compatable chips since before the pentium 1. People would have noticed any such problems by now

What tends to happen is that software is optimized for one chip or the other and will run faster on that architecture.

da.newb
          Short answer is : At the moment yes.

Though it really depends on the game(s) in question more RAM and a better video card will be needed as time goes by.

Comment

If you are going to upgrade now, don't buy a gfx card slower or older than an NVidia 8600GT. I *had* to buy one, because the other is having artifacts. The cheap palit/xpertvision costed 115€ and I managed to overclock it to 740/910. Becomes faster than the 8600GTS.

Very high res, shadow complexity and 4xAA kill it. Otherwise it can compete with a x1950pro, x1950xt, 7900gs, 7900gt and so on.

Comment

Originally posted by The5thviruz View Post
              His GHz are a little low?
              hahaha, that post made me laugh a little too.

Comment

I'm so psyched for this game!

Comment

I'm hoping my new PC that I ordered ships to me next week. It features an Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4ghz, 2gb RAM, Nvidia 768mb GeForce 8800 GTX (factory overclocked), 22" high definition widescreen LCD 5ms response time, and Creative Labs Sound Blaster X-FI sound card. I think that configuration should hold its own by the time UT3 comes out. The hard part is Epic keeping us in suspense!

Comment

Also considering Tim's remark (here) on the quad cores making it into the mainstream late this year, I wouldn't even think about buying a new computer before we hear a release date. Within a few months you could be regretting your hastened decision. And if you're really really patient, a budget/mainstream computer a year after the release date will do fine. But there's no need being so pragmatic as to miss a great event.

Comment

I'm hoping UT3 is delayed a little bit, so I can get a 4- or 8-core AMD rig to wrap around my new dx10 video card.

Comment

So this is what I ended up getting.
                        Hewlett-Packard Pavilion Desktop with AMD Athlon™ 64 X2 Processor 4800+
                        It has the PCI Express port so I figure I can upgrade the graphics card closer to launch. Anything else I'll need to upgrade? Will I need to upgrade the power supply? If so, what should I upgrade it to?

Comment

Referring to Fl4k's post, stop worrying about currently having good enough computers, UT3 is months away. Upon release, I'm sure the game will be 'scaled' to run decently on present mainstream hardware with medium settings, so it can grow as high-end configs become abundant in the years to come.

Comment

Working...
                          X