Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Comp For UT

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    New Comp For UT

    Hello,

    I'm Currently looking for a new computer that is kinda future proof and should be able to run UT3 when it comes out.

    My current specs are :
    AMD Athlon 2200+ (1.8Ghz)
    512 RAM
    nVidia GeForce FX 5200
    40 Gig RAM
    and the OS is XP SP2

    The New comp i'm looking at is: Price £510 Inc.. 19" TFT monitor
    AMD Live 64 x2 5000+ (2.6Ghz)
    Vista Premium
    2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz
    320GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
    256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

    I know i'd proberly have to upgrade the G-Card but other then that does it seem to be future proof, I know there are no specs yet for UT3 but should this be powerful enough?
    Also is it a decent price for what im getting?
    Thxs for any Help.

    #2
    Originally posted by Brokendream View Post
    Hello,

    I'm Currently looking for a new computer that is kinda future proof and should be able to run UT3 when it comes out.

    My current specs are :
    AMD Athlon 2200+ (1.8Ghz)
    512 RAM
    nVidia GeForce FX 5200
    40 Gig RAM
    and the OS is XP SP2

    The New comp i'm looking at is: Price £510 Inc.. 19" TFT monitor
    AMD Live 64 x2 5000+ (2.6Ghz)
    Vista Premium
    2048MB Dual Channel DDR2 533MHz
    320GB (7200rpm) Serial ATA Hard Drive
    256MB ATI Radeon X1300 Pro

    I know i'd proberly have to upgrade the G-Card but other then that does it seem to be future proof, I know there are no specs yet for UT3 but should this be powerful enough?
    Also is it a decent price for what im getting?
    Thxs for any Help.
    Intel are currently better than AMD so look into the Core 2 Duo models.

    Don't bother with Vista yet, there's no need for it. Stick with XP...save some money.

    If this PC is for UT3, don't buy it yet. There will be better hardware for the same price when UT3 eventually gets released.

    Comment


      #3
      You really should NOT get a 1300. IMO it's fine to play with 10-15 fps. Then your GHZ is a little low. Try to get a 2.8 or a better 3.0. And yes buy your system later.

      Comment


        #4
        His GHz are a little low?

        Comment


          #5
          Meh, if you can pick up Vista for the same prices as XP, you might want to do it. If there's a major price difference, then you probably won't want to. Vista is much better than XP except for its RAM thirst, but if there's nothing you want from it, why bother.

          Then again if you want a feature from it, and if its worth the difference, grab it.

          Comment


            #6
            Translation: Core 2 Duo is much faster than Athlon 64 X2 so you'd be wasting your money spending it on AMD processors. Instead of the Athlon 5000+, get an E6400 for the same price and OC that baby to 3 GHz!

            Also, I agree with The5thviruz. Don't bother upgrading for UT3 now, it's too early.

            Comment


              #7
              I thought 2.6 won't be enough or maybe it's just me.

              Comment


                #8
                You can't directly compare the GHz in Intel and AMD processors because they each have different architectures. The E6400 has a default clock speed of 2.13 GHz and it's way faster than the 5000+ with a default clock speed of 2.6GHz. On top of that once you OC the E6400 to 3GHz on stock cooling, it's faster than an X6800!

                Comment


                  #9
                  **** that's a nice piece of art. BTW BrokenDream need not buy a 320gig Hard disk. He can save it for some other hardware.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
                    Meh, if you can pick up Vista for the same prices as XP, you might want to do it. If there's a major price difference, then you probably won't want to. Vista is much better than XP except for its RAM thirst, but if there's nothing you want from it, why bother.

                    Then again if you want a feature from it, and if its worth the difference, grab it.
                    Maybe you better do some research before spouting propaganda.

                    Vista offers a lot of bonuses that XP does not, but at the same time, lots of things are still shakey, on account of it being a new OS. Graphics drivers aren't quite where they should be, and many games and applications have difficulties. For a workstation PC, by all means, use Vista, but for a gaming box, take a minute to look at compatibilities and such.

                    I know for my new UT2k7(3) PC I'll be running XP.

                    EDIT:

                    This is what I"m planning for my new rig.

                    http://secure.newegg.com/NewVersion/...Number=4224145

                    Comment


                      #11
                      I posted a similar tread recently but the future PC that I'm currently looking at considering is the Dell XPS 410 desktop tower with Windows Vista Premium and 4GB memory. The reviews are nice on it. For video card choice I'm thinking of getting it with the Nvidia 7900GS option. It is supposed to be faster than the ATI X1300 Pro from comparisions I've read. Plus I want the Dell 20" wide screen flat panel monitor with it too. Just waiting for the timing to be as close as possible to the release of UT3 if my patience can hold out!

                      Comment


                        #12
                        You're getting a Dell? Bad call.

                        Comment


                          #13
                          The XPS line is supposed to be pretty good. What other brand PC you recommend? I can't afford the Alienware but would if I could. The Dell Dimension 4400 I have now is over 5 years old and not a single problem with it. I really don't like HP/Compaq and I used to have a Gateway before my Dell, so for some reason I switched brands then.

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by Ikaros View Post
                            The XPS line is supposed to be pretty good. What other brand PC you recommend? I can't afford the Alienware but would if I could. The Dell Dimension 4400 I have now is over 5 years old and not a single problem with it. I really don't like HP/Compaq and I used to have a Gateway before my Dell, so for some reason I switched brands then.
                            what he meant by that is, you should build your own. its not hard to do at all and you get more for your money.

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by Arklon View Post
                              You're getting a Dell? Bad call.
                              I have a dell and it works fine for me, and im planning to get another as i don't know/have the time to build my own system. Any reason you think it's a bad call?

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X