No announcement yet.

Game Informer Goof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually I think bots lacking creativity is one thing you can always count on and can make for a more solid experience. Dont get me wrong UT is a great game to play online as well but people are bound to exploit the game and use this creativity to find those exploits. You'll never see a bot jumping out side of a map or shield jumping to crazy places, you also can accuse a bot of being a botter because thats kinda obvious

So in one hand you can play against unpredictable (in most cases) human which have a wider range of skills and abilities or you can play against a solid player you know cant cheat. Either has its up sides I think as playing against bots can raise you skill level alittle but no where near as much as playing against humans.

I sure hope there is a clear my line of fire command this time around as playing with bots with team damage is something I like to do but I always kill my own players when they jump in my line of fire. One for kicking a bot out of vehicles would be nice as well. UT3 does look to bring more to the table in terms of bot play which Im happy with, sometimes its good to play with the settings you like not the ones server admins prefer.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
      Bot play wasn't a standard feature to begin with.
      Quake1 and 2, all games with the same engine I know, Doom, all the games with the Doom engine, all the Build3d games... none of those had bots.
      In fact I think Unreal might be the first and only game with both a full-blown single player campaign and the ability to play against computer opponents in a multiplayer-style deathmatch.
      actually it was Quake w/ their "Reaper Bot", but Unreal was right behind em.

Comment

Originally posted by DeadPool View Post
        actually it was Quake w/ their "Reaper Bot", but Unreal was right behind em.
        To clear things up a little, again, the Reaper Bot did not come with Quake; it was a seperate downloadable mod written by Steve Polge who was in no way associated with iD, nor did iD follow his example and include bot support in Quake2.
        Epic, on the other hand, actually hired Steve Polge to help writing the AI for Unreal.
        So again (maybe it'll finally sink in the 5th it's said it in this thread), no, Quake did not have bots.

Comment

most of the time I play with bots, mainly because angry noobs enter all my online games and swear at everyone and try to take nodes or capture flags by themselves, thus jepordising my teams chances of winning

Comment

Enemy Territory is going to ship with some bots, but I don't think they will be up to snuff.

Comment

So again (maybe it'll finally sink in the 5th it's said it in this thread), no, Quake did not have bots.
              Best to clarify here, "Quake did not come with bots originally." But yeah, I can't think of any first person shooters before Unreal that shipped with a multiplayer component _and_ bots.

But then again, Unreal's multiplayer support and bots were very rough when it first came out. Bots were insane until, what, the 2.05 patch or so? They were set to 255 skill level and hard to beat. Netcode got smooth around 2.20 and that's when the heyday of Unreal multiplayer took off.

That's from memory, which could be hazy.

Comment

Dont forget as well there was enemy and friendly bots in quake which got developed seperate but it all kinda came together to form what we now just call bots in UT

Comment

Originally posted by Ultron View Post
                  But yeah, I can't think of any first person shooters before Unreal that shipped with a multiplayer component _and_ bots.
                  I also can't think of any first person shooter after Unreal that shipped with a singleplayer campaign and multiplayer bots.

Comment

I also can't think of any first person shooter after Unreal that shipped with a singleplayer campaign and multiplayer bots.
                    What about singleplayer bots and a multiplayer campaign

Comment

Working...
                    X