Game Informer Goof

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Game Informer Goof

I enjoy reading Game Informer, because they tend to be pretty fair and accurate when reviewing games.

I just pulled my latest edition out of the mailbox, thumbed through, and found a 2 page article on UT3. It had the standard pictures, and the same info we've already read about. The person who wrote the article knew that UT was/is mostly multiplayer, and also told of the single player focus for UT3.

What was funny to me, was the tiny caption under the title that read:

>STYLE 1-PLAYER ACTION (MULTIPLAYER TBA)

LOL...just wanted to share that.

Nice. Can I see the scan?

Comment

A regular read wouldn't give that much tough but it's kinda funny for us UT fans lol.

Comment

I guess its an RTS to most people these days as well lol

Anyways has anyone noticed that bot play is a very unstandard feature these days and you have to get online to get any use out of the multiplayer modes? I mean quake4, hl2, TribesV all no bots :S

Comment

Bot play wasn't a standard feature to begin with.
          Quake1 and 2, all games with the same engine I know, Doom, all the games with the Doom engine, all the Build3d games... none of those had bots.
          In fact I think Unreal might be the first and only game with both a full-blown single player campaign and the ability to play against computer opponents in a multiplayer-style deathmatch.

Comment

Originally posted by Kold_ View Post
            Nice. Can I see the scan?
            Quoted for truth.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
              Bot play wasn't a standard feature to begin with.
              Quake1 and 2, all games with the same engine I know, Doom, all the games with the Doom engine, all the Build3d games... none of those had bots.
              In fact I think Unreal might be the first and only game with both a full-blown single player campaign and the ability to play against computer opponents in a multiplayer-style deathmatch.
              Huh? I'm pretty sure Quake 1 and 2 had multiplayer bots. Not the best AI but they were still bots.

Comment

Originally posted by Xero View Post
                Huh? I'm pretty sure Quake 1 and 2 had multiplayer bots. Not the best AI but they were still bots.
                Not out of the box.
                In fact, a while back there was a thread about how someone got hooked to FPS games by a bot for Quake or Quake 2 that Steve Polge wrote.

Comment

Quake 3 (and maybe battlefield but Im not sure if they are active in non lan) was the only one out of the box with bots but that was a multiplayer only type game. Now with Epic going more single player your actually getting 3 full campaigns to choose from instead of a more multiplayer orientated singleplayer but ofcoarse instant action gives you that choice.

I think people dont realize that when they look at UT especially UT3, sure its taking awhile to get done but when I look at it Epic is making **** good time considering the scope of the gameplay. Like I said Quake4, TribesV and HL2 all contained SP and MP but none of the developers went out of their way to provide multiplayer bots support like Epic does.

Its weird because its not like all three of those games I said dont have the potential for arena AI.

Comment

The Tribes-series had bots (or did they not function in mp-games ? T:V was UE-based so they could have supported it in theory) ... the problem was that the 'out of the box'-game did not add them to all gametypes/maps and that it was basic at best (compared to Unreal-standard AI).

Even in the Unreal-camp there's a distinct section of players that think that bots are 'bad' for multiplayer (see the various threads that complained about how the game counted bots as 'players' in servers in the UT-series).

I know I would avoid a mere 4(human)/32(slots) server in order to play on a server filled with 32 targets even if only 2 of them were human. Without such numbers it will be hard to have "a vehicle exploding overhead almost every time you spawn..." as you would be spending ages just hunting for the same old enemy over and over again.

Comment

Nah I tried TribesV with a friend on Lan one time and as far as I could tell there was no bots, the thing which got to me most was there was some elements of the singleplayer game which covered arena type play so I was totally surprised to see there was no bots. I did hear there was a patch which went unreleased though so you never know.

Comment

Originally posted by JaFO View Post
                        ....see the various threads that complained about how the game counted bots as 'players' in servers in the UT-series...
                        Specifically UT2003 and UT2004.

I'm pretty certain that the original UT never counted bots as players.

And apart from the UT2Kx series counting bots in the server browser, I really don't see how bots in and of themselves can be bad for on-line play. Overall I would suggest that the standard of play is better because of the inclusion of bots.

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                          ... none of the developers went out of their way to provide multiplayer bots support like Epic does.....
                          Epic realizes there are a lot of people out here that for whatever reason don't play online. LAN and IA are all we have, so we NEED bots to get any enjoyment out of the game. Heck wouldn't be any point in buying it otherwise would there

I can see where people want to know when they join an online game how many people and how many are bots. But seems like they are working on improving the bots so it will not matter AS MUCH which you play against.
                          I try to not 'expect' what the bot is going to do, even if it is obvious. Just pretend it might do something else this time.

Comment

Originally posted by EntropicLqd View Post
                            Specifically UT2003 and UT2004. I'm pretty certain that the original UT never counted bots as players.
                            Correct. The ingame browser never did. I also believe those bots weren't counted in Gamespy. Bots were also a much smaller part of the online community, because they weren't enabled by default.

Originally posted by EntropicLqd View Post
                            And apart from the UT2Kx series counting bots in the server browser, I really don't see how bots in and of themselves can be bad for on-line play. Overall I would suggest that the standard of play is better because of the inclusion of bots.
                            I respectfully disagree. Why play bots when you can play humans? You can play bots offline, anyhow, and customize that experience. I'd rather play with humans only, even with the improved bots of UT2k4 you could tell you were playing with bots and instead of having to fight someone with tactics you're fighting a mindless AI script that is essentially dumb but often has the ability to track your movements and locations through walls and portals, etc.

To me it just doesn't feel real. And even so, it's still not the same thing as competing against real players.

Comment

I agree with your late point Ultron. I first got hooked on UT by playing 'real' players over over a LAN. I remember playing against bot to improve my skills when I just started playing but I soon realized that I learned much more by playing a against human players.
                              Bots simply lack the creativity that you can clearly see in a human player. A bot wouldn't steal your flag and then hideout in your base until you all run off in search of it and then make their getaway. Or commit close range rocket suicide just to prevent a more skilled player from taking your flag. Bots are good for filling in empty human slots on large maps and just messing around with new modes and stuff.

I am however still egger to see the improved bot AI in UT3. Especially with the more in depth single player mode we can be sure your teammates won't be the regular follow me and kill anything that tries to kill me type of bots.

Comment

Working...
                              X