No announcement yet.

How many players?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The engine can support 64, but will the net, or for that matter your compiter support 64? Plus we can support all the players in the world, but what if vehicles are as hard as they currently are on servers?

My current comp can only play in 16 player games with no vehicles if I dont' want serious lag and framrate loss (which at the same time really sucks)

I think Epic will shoot for 32 oplayers again with this build so they dont' have people that try to run a 64 player server off their DSL (or even try to connect to a 64 player server without enough net bandwidth) and whine about how they meet minimum specs but can't play the game all that well (it'll happen people are stupid)

That is unless they seriously rewrite the netcode to be a little less pigish on bandwidth

Comment

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
      That could also increase networking performance on some networking models.
      Any networking model worth anything.
      The Unreal Engine has been sending only relevant information to players since it's first incarnation, so yes, splitting the players up will definitely decrease the bandwidth required to make everything run smoothly.

But then, if it's split up, you might argue that you're still playing only against a small number of people, so you may as well play with half that and half as many branches.

Comment

i'm going to guess up to 32 players for the consoles, maybe more for the pc. but i don't see why people are saying either 32 or 64, there is equal chance it could be 40 or 50.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
          Any networking model worth anything.
          The Unreal Engine has been sending only relevant information to players since it's first incarnation, so yes, splitting the players up will definitely decrease the bandwidth required to make everything run smoothly.

But then, if it's split up, you might argue that you're still playing only against a small number of people, so you may as well play with half that and half as many branches.
          If the server cap is up to 64, you have the option to do as you wish. Some gametypes might thrive with having 4 independent clusters affecting each other. Example: Group of 16 fight over control of a powerplant while another group of 16 fight in the dark because the power's out. Etc. The real split might be 24/0/0/8 on 10/10/10/2.. who really knows? But it'd tend to bleed out roughly evenly.

Most cases it wouldn't be forced-segregation... but naturally people will wish to flow to the path of least resistance if they're going for the objective, and not just the HOOOLLLYYYY SHIITTTTT's.

And yes I know UnrealEngine3(/1/2..) is based on relevancy. Just wanted to make sure there'd be no smartass be like "But if its lockstep..."

Comment

I can't imagine it would be fun unless there were Warfare maps designed specfically for 32-64 players. Or else there's a four team version of ONS/Warfare, Just like 4 team CTF/TDM.

Comment

Working...
            X