X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kronos View Post
    Roboblitz ran on the x850 which doesnt support PS3.0
    I looked into this. The x800s & x700s would work with UE3 games that have hit the market so far. ...But nothing prior to them does. They're the absolute least supported card and I think there's a good reason why. From what I've read, the only NVIDIA cards that are supported are SM3.0 compliant (DX9.0c)

DirectX 9.0b, from what I've gathered, was ONLY EVER supported by the X7/800 series cards. No other cards came out from other manufacturers that specifically supported DX9.0b. Most companies skipped directly to DX9.0c.

Why this matters: Part of DX9.0b's release was support for Pixel Shader 2.0b. It looks, based on the evidence, like UE3 will work with only PS2.0b and above, but it doesn't looks like it works with cards only capable of standard PS2.0.

This basically limits the supported cards to DX9.0b and greater cards. Since there are only three chips released (by ATI) that support 9.0b (x700, x800, x850) these are the odd-cards out in this whole deal. DX9.0 standard hardware doesn't seem to be supported at all.

This is partially speculative, but it that seems to be the ONLY thing that sets the x800s apart from the previous cards that are listed as NOT supported. This is my unofficial theory regarding shader model support with UE3.

Comment

Originally posted by Hickeroar View Post
      Not really just that... DRM exists in its current state today because of Apple and its tactics. They've marketed themselves as knights in shining armor as well, but their support is absolutely atrocious, their products break all the time (regardless of what the fanboys like to tell you) and the general attitude of the company and its users is just snubnosed and haughty.

They have outright LIED in many of their commercials (especially the latest ones with the two guys that are supposed to be "funny") and unknowing people fall for it right and left. The EU has banned several of their commercials because they're loaded with false advertising as well as out and out lies about their products and those of their competitors.

Apple is one company that will never get my business.
      Wow, lots of unsupported accusations. First, DRM did not come into existence because of Apple. Apple actually wants just the opposite: read this.

When you say their products break all the time, are you saying you have first hand experience? It sounds like you've hardly even used them, being challenged with the one-button mouse and all (which now is a non-issue since every Mac comes with a Mighty Mouse, one button look but right clickable). I've been using Macs and PCs since I was a child. I'm now 30, an art director, and I'd say I have some experience under my belt. I say your statements are baseless, and you just decided to be a PC fan boy. I've never needed tech support from Apple, but the few people I know that have called them say they are really great. Often the problem lies with some other companies software or peripherals, not Apples hardware.

What are the specific lies you speak of in their commercials? Go ahead and list them so we may all be educated.

My art department only uses Macs. The only issues we've had is with some old fonts and an old program that some ads were built in long ago, and that has nothing to do with Apple's products. Not a single hardware problem. As far as OSes go, you don't want to try to go down that alley. The company I work for has a large IT bill for tech support throughout the year. My department has needed none.

If you want to use a PC, great for you. Just don't go around bashing a company for no good reason other than taste.

Comment

Originally posted by SleightOfHand View Post
        If you want to use a PC, great for you. Just don't go around bashing a company for no good reason other than taste.
        Apple sux YAY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SleightOfHand View Post
          Wow, lots of unsupported accusations. First, DRM did not come into existence because of Apple. Apple actually wants just the opposite: read this.

When you say their products break all the time, are you saying you have first hand experience? It sounds like you've hardly even used them, being challenged with the one-button mouse and all (which now is a non-issue since every Mac comes with a Mighty Mouse, one button look but right clickable). I've been using Macs and PCs since I was a child. I'm now 30, an art director, and I'd say I have some experience under my belt. I say your statements are baseless, and you just decided to be a PC fan boy. I've never needed tech support from Apple, but the few people I know that have called them say they are really great. Often the problem lies with some other companies software or peripherals, not Apples hardware.

What are the specific lies you speak of in their commercials? Go ahead and list them so we may all be educated.

My art department only uses Macs. The only issues we've had is with some old fonts and an old program that some ads were built in long ago, and that has nothing to do with Apple's products. Not a single hardware problem. As far as OSes go, you don't want to try to go down that alley. The company I work for has a large IT bill for tech support throughout the year. My department has needed none.

I like how you assume I have "no good reason." My opinion of apple has to do with plenty more than just "taste."

http://blog.rwven.com/?p=69 <- A blog post I made about the Apple commercials a while back. Plenty of info there regarding how shady they are in their marketing. Also talked about their security claims too. They never admitted to any (and downright denied several) of their security bugs in the first quarter...yet they released 66 security updates to fix the holes. Good game apple. At least MS/Linux own up to their mistakes.

I also didn't say Apple is responsible for DRM as a whole. I said they're responsible for its current state. They were the first to bow to the major players (RIAA/MPAA) and lock down content so tight that law abiding citizens are effectively punished for wanting to buy music. Now all the other providers have followed suit. Can someone please explain to me what DRM does to stop piracy? You also can't forget Steve Jobs' recent rant against DRM in which he said it should all be open...and then a couple days later effectively took it all back. IF he really wanted it to be open, he'd start at LEAST licensing Fairplay to other device providers. Good luck with that one.

You are comparing your art department to an IT department? That's like comparing oranges to elephants. IT depts have LOADS more computers, have TONS of stuff coming and going all the time, and their computers are used for tons of reasons by tons of people. Your comparison is completely whacked. I supported macs (along with pcs) at a university about 2 years ago and with their 2% market share, I had 25-30% of all my support requests come from Mac users. I know all about mac/OSX "reliability."

Another article you might find interesting about this wonderful savior of the computer (Steve Jobs): http://www.wired.com/gadgets/mac/com.../2006/01/70072

If you want to use a Mac, that's fine. Just don't be in denial regaring their obvious and many shortcomings as a product and as a providing company.

Comment

Working...
          X