No announcement yet.

Demo/Full version compatiblity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really think that this is a problem in UT2k4 that we have control over. The big one I see is the Catalyst CTF server. It's really the only NW CTF server that I get decent ping to and I see players on consistently. If the server admins just all the sudden decided to switch it off demo I think people would still play there, and maybe other servers would follow. It's not really the compatibility to blame here. There's plenty of people out here complaining about the public server situation, but they don't do anything about it. Everyone needs to stop whining about it start supporting retail servers.

I mean sure yeah if they weren't compatible it wouldn't be a problem. Yet that doesn't solve the larger problem of people just not having anywhere to play. The mutators and so forth are just dominating everything on the public servers, and instead of people going out and actively supporting a NW CTF server they stop playing and whine all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Sero View Post
      making the demo intentionally suck is really not the way to get people to buy a game
      Anyone complaining about overly popular demo servers should read this carefully and consider what the current state of affairs would have been if the demo had contained DesertIsle instead of Rankin.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
        Anyone complaining about overly popular demo servers should read this carefully and consider what the current state of affairs would have been if the demo had contained DesertIsle instead of Rankin.
        I really don't think it makes much of a difference when most people think the retail version of the game sucks anyways. You can't trick people into consistently play a game they don't like.

Comment

This same discussion is getting a little tedious. What's more tedious, is the fact the same useless ideas keep being brought up again and again when they obviously have flaws.

You can't make the demo worse, there is nothing wrong with making the demo brilliant (it will attract far more people) AS LONG AS you somehow limit their play time, or atleast their online playtime.

You can't just do nothing about it and let them play on it for as long as they want. The UT2004 demo was good enough to not need the full game to enjoy it tbh.

I hope Epic do plan this carefully, they must've listened to the number of posts on this subject. It's not easy to make the best choice but it's probably possible once you weigh out all the pro's & con's. I still think having a timer on the demo is one of the best (that's not the same as closing all demo servers after a year, which isn't gonna work for ****). If you feed them something brilliant, then cut their online play time short after a while... they are going to miss it and have an urge buy it.

Comment

voted no, for the reason mentioned countless times before this thread existed - people with retail copies should populate retail instead of demo servers

But I like Bersy's idea of limited time compatibility too

Comment

Once again ... No.

I'm willing to plunk down around $3K for a kick-*** server for UT3 and have it co-located, but not if retail owners will be inhabiting demo servers again. I won't waste the cash or my time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                Make them compatible until the second or third patch, or the game's been out a year. Whichever comes first. Break compatibility in a patch, so the demo players will still have lots of servers for a while but they will be phased out, and people who play the full game and want to stay updated will be forced to stop playing on demo servers. Look at UT2004, we still have people going on Torlan/Primeval only servers and cleaning house with the noobs, and not playing on other servers with far better maps, meaning barely anyone ever joins the good servers anymore - how does this help the community?

So the solution is Yes, but only for a limited time. I still voted "No", because I believe that in the long run if they implemented it the same way they did in 2k4, it would hurt the game badly.
                Great idea. This option gets my vote.

Comment

Demo must expire.

Comment

Originally posted by >>Gunslinger<< View Post
                    Demo must expire.
                    As someone who has been playing UTDemo v348 since 2000, I disagree

Demo and retail should be kept seperate, it makes no sense to have them compatible.

Comment

Keep those demo servers, man I just can't get enought faceclassic!!

</sarcasm>

Comment

Originally posted by IndySkies View Post
                        That is your right. It's also a LONG time to play a demo.

Comment

Originally posted by IndySkies View Post

Demo and retail should be kept seperate, it makes no sense to have them compatible.
                          Is there a specific reason you still play the demo? I'd like to think you have the full version. At least by now

I voted no. If you want to play people with the full version then go buy the full version.

Comment

There should be no expiary date on demos!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by {RU}Sirius View Post
                              Is there a specific reason you still play the demo? I'd like to think you have the full version. At least by now
                              Obviously because people can continue to play it for free. Switch between game types now and then (thus allowing play of some different maps) and there's no reason for some people to buy the full game when they can continue to play the demo online for years.

The ultimate point of a demo (beyond finding initial bugs) is to showcase the game and get people to buy the full version. Isn't it?

Comment

I know what the point of a demo is. I find it completely ridiculous that people would still be playing the demo of a 3 year old game (UT2004) let alone a 7 year old game (UT). Talk about cheap. If you can afford to pay for internet you can afford to pay for a game.
                                But I do disagree that demos should expire. I just wouldn't waist my time patching them.

Comment

Working...
                                X