GRID Computing for Mapping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GRID Computing for Mapping

There is this awesome tool for Studio3Dmax.. it devides the total render process into bits and pieces. Thereafter, those bits and pieces are calculated by PC's in the network running a tool that enables them to accept those jobs. The distributing PC then gathers all calculations and creates the result quicker; then when it would do the job alone

When submitting a "Build all" command in the Editor I can wait for some time before the map has finished building. The process however shows multiple task are being performed sequentially. Would it be possible to add a tool to equip the other available PC's on the network with a "BuildHelp" tool of some kind? There are some possibilities available, most of them hard to comprehend and/or get to work. I won't even bother discussing the dodgy EULA's in that kind of software...

I have multiple PC's running at home.. some of them idle most of the times. It would be great to implement such a tool in a new shipment.

Man, distributed map compiling would be sweet. Good call!

Comment

i dont rly find the need to use "Build All" that often. nice idea though but I wouldn't use it in this context

Comment

Originally posted by Destini View Post
        i dont rly find the need to use "Build All" that often. nice idea though but I wouldn't use it in this context
        But you'd still use it....

Comment

This is an excellent idea!

Comment

I'm curious as to wih the new way of rendering and all if "Build All" will even exist and if it does, be as intensive as it has been.

build time for 2004 was built mostly from BSP optimization, and then building lightmaps for it, two aspects that are not supoposed to be part of the new engine.

Comment

Nice suggestion. Tryin to keep this thread alive.

Comment

Originally posted by Hsoolien View Post

build time for 2004 was built mostly from BSP optimization, and then building lightmaps for it, two aspects that are not supoposed to be part of the new engine.
                The way I understand it, even static meshes are gonna be lit per-pixel, using lightmaps.
                Or did I get that bit wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by BigJim View Post
                  The way I understand it, even static meshes are gonna be lit per-pixel, using lightmaps.
                  Or did I get that bit wrong?
                  A lot people in RB found it weird that when you BUILD the map you got that old vertex lighting like in UE2/2.5 again and didn't build the map anymore.

TBH:
                  The Meshes need a special UV channel to store the lightmap. Otherwise you get vertex lighting again. The Editor of RB does NOT support to calculate that channel for you. You need to set it up in Max/Maya/whatever.

Comment

Distributed processing ftw.

Comment

Regardless of how the geometry is built or lit, I think render farming would be sweet. Yet something tells me this just ain't gonna happen...

Comment

http://www.apple.com/server/macosx/features/xgrid.html

I'd like to see this working with games in mind. :P

Comment

Would this be very hard? Taken the multi-core functionality in consideration? The core just resides in a different case... disregarding the data speed difference, internally and over network for arguments sake...

Comment

The Source Engine supports it, quite useful given that it is extremely slow for building maps (derail: not trying to match up external products). But distributed builds would be nice, maybe Sweeney's already got it up his sleeve for UE4.

Comment

rebuilding geometry and lighting in 2k4 was "allmost" instant, rebuilding paths took a helluva time thou. With the new "press a button and create pathing" function it might work differently. Anyway, this is a very good suggestion and it gets my vote.

Comment

Working...
                              X