Linux support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by B1tchkilla View Post
    (...) While I had problems as newbie with running TS and UT2004 (...)
    I wrote down an HOW-TO here for people needing to run UT2004 on Linux.

I'll be pleased if you had a look, and more pleased if you could modify it in case of something wrong / missing in this how-to.

Comment

Hope this helps you guys. I'm a console gamer, but saw this post by Mark Rein the other day.
      Originally posted by Mark Rein View Post
      All this means is that UT3 will support DX10 - it does NOT mean that DX10 is required! We expect the vast majority of our users will be Windows XP / DX9 users. We will also support Mac and Linux as per usual.

Comment

I hope they support Linux. Ubuntu looks great, amazing even. Much better than Vista, which I'm using now.

edit: \o/

Comment

Originally posted by Jrubzjeknf View Post

edit: \o/
          LOL, funny stuff. Posted at the same time.

Comment

I just thought of something..

You can run linux on ps3 right? Since ut3 will support linux, you could install the Linux version (which is same as pc version) on your ps3 and have built in hdmi support and a kb/mouse setup. I suspect that would be much cheaper then buying a pc that is capable of running ut3.

I might actually do this.. Would be much easier carrying that to lans then a pc.

Comment

You won't be able to access the 3d-hardware with any other installed Linux than the one that's shipping with the PS3.

Comment

but you'll have access to the 3d hardware with the version that the ps3 comes with?

Comment

I'd think so.
                  But I can't image that you can install the pc-linux-binary on it.

Comment

Linux PS3 Graphics

The GPU in the PS3 is *completely inaccessible* from Linux - regardless of which version of Linux you install. Sony does this because if they had a truly open platform they might risk their cut the profit on every PS3 game sold. I'd think that developers wouldn't want to mess with the user having to install Linux before they can play their game, but...

In any case, the PS3 is defective-by-design; you buy it, and you're locked out of actually using the graphics hardware. If they had released usable hardware instead I'd own one.

Oh, BTW, it's really good to hear that there will definitely be Mac and Linux support. I stop being paranoid and can go update the Wikipedia article with that reference now.

Comment

This is hilarious, PC's can run console games through emulation and consoles can run PC games with the right OS...

So that means all Sony and MS do is publish games hey lmao

Seriously the games industry would be a better place if you could take a game an run it on all the major platforms or even getting an older game and being able to run it through an emulator on virtually any platform. I think people are starting to get a wind of this, or they are just pirates

If it goes that way then really there is like 2 OS's instead of 4 platforms, counting MacOS as linux ofcoarse hehe

Comment

Originally posted by Chandon View Post
                        The GPU in the PS3 is *completely inaccessible* from Linux - regardless of which version of Linux you install.
                        It will be just a matter of time until the basics have been reverse engineered, I'm sure of that. With ATI-Drivers its pretty hard, because there are so many modified versions with different specifications and such, but in the PS3 there's just one chip that handles the graphics. But no one should get their hopes up until mid-2008 or something in that timeframe.

Comment

Originally posted by Lord_Impaler View Post
                          It will be just a matter of time until the basics have been reverse engineered, I'm sure of that.
                          Unfortunately, it's not just an issue of reverse engineering the graphics chip and writing a driver. Linux on the PS3 runs inside of a virtual machine that explicitly does not expose the graphics hardware at all. It's not just that Linux developers don't know how to use it; they're being prevented from getting to it at all.

Even if it was possible to get 3D acceleration on the PS3 (which looks to be extremely unlikely), you still wouldn't be able to run the Linux version of UT3 on it unless Epic released PS3-Linux specific binaries.

Comment

I didn't know that. Thanks for the insight.

Comment

Working...
                            X