Gamespy preview of UT3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gamespy preview of UT3

A new gamespy preview of UT3 and their thoughts on the hands-on time they had with the game at GDC. Very positive preview overall, even if they are complete noobs (you can tell).

Check it out: http://au.ps3.gamespy.com/playstatio.../771700p1.html

It seems to be shaping up nicely – except for one thing which could ruin the whole game. The only thing that bothers me is the tilt function they plan on using to control aiming. That’s disgusting. How ridiculous is it going to be to trying to aim using tilt? Seriously think about that for a second. In a fast paced deathmatch my wrists are going to break, and I will also look like a complete looser while doing it. It will also be incredibly imprecise. Why can’t they just use the sticks? I have used them my whole life and I don’t plan on trying to get used to something absurdly different just because Sony rushed in motion sensing at the last minute and everyone thinks it’s cool and revolutionary. I’m NOT going to try something as stupid as this just because ONE developer made ONE shooter on ONE console with “cool” tilt aiming. I’m off to kill myself now.

Buy it for the 360 or PC.

Comment

omfg this guy doesn't know anything about UT. "railgun".. "chaingun".. "fired electro orbs of some kind"..

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
        omfg this guy doesn't know anything about UT. "railgun".. "chaingun".. "fired electro orbs of some kind"..
        We call those people in game a noob.

However, it was a decent preview.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
          Bwahahahahaha! I know, Bersy. I actually LOLed for real during some parts of the article. How on earth is the shock rifle a chain gun? The guy hasn't got a clue. But some parts are interesting, like the control layout - the L1 button will "open a radial smorgasbord of firearms that could be selected with the left analog stick." Feign death is circle, and one of the bots used it and actually fooled him, haha... F***ing noob.

But seriously, I'm not happy with tilt-aim choice made by Epic. At least make it an option for those who want to play the way the whole world has for the past ten years.

Comment

Originally posted by Unreal_User View Post
            Bwahahahahaha! I know, Bersy. I actually LOLed for real during some parts of the article. How on earth is the shock rifle a chain gun? The guy hasn't got a clue. But some parts are interesting, like the control layout - the L1 button will "open a radial smorgasbord of firearms that could be selected with the left analog stick." Feign death is circle, and one of the bots used it and actually fooled him, haha... F***ing noob.

But seriously, I'm not happy with tilt-aim choice made by Epic. At least make it an option for those who want to play the way the whole world has for the past ten years.
            The shock rifle was the railgun, the Stinger is the chain gun. To someone who doesn't know it's shooting Tarydium crystal shards, it probably just looks like little laser bolts or some-such.

Comment

Use the word noob and u instantly sound about 14.
              The review does sound slightly retarded, but ofc only because he's new to UT, which is quite interestin to hear from tbh. It's kinda weird that they got someone who's never played UT to review it though, but if he's positive about it aswell, it can only be a good thing.

Comment

Can’t these guys do a little background research before they write their reviews? What would it take? Half an hour to get familiar with the names of the weapons. Whatever.

Comment

You would think a previewer for a game would have a clue regarding the background of what he was talking about. "shotgun blast to the chest." Cmon... It's a friggin flak cannon. It's the most famous gun in all of the Unreal series. HOW IN THE HECK DOES SOMEONE NOT KNOW THIS. THIS SERIES HAS BEEN AROUND FOR A DECADE.

He makes the comment "Unreal's classic quality level design is in full effect" but it's highly obvious the guy has never played an Unreal game in his life...and that's a crime in the gaming industry.

Gamespy: Hire someone who has a clue how to do their job...

THIS is how you NOT look like an idiot when writing a preview: http://ps3.ign.com/articles/771/771340p1.html Yes, it's shorter and has less information, but at least the writer has an ounce of technical knowledge as well as knowledge about the game itself. The gamespy preview sounds like it was written by a highschool student working an after school job while talking to his SO on the phone... It's funny because IGN and Gamespy are both part of the same network...

Comment

Originally posted by Destini View Post
                    Use the word noob and u instantly sound about 14.
                    Replacing "you" with "u" is far more profoundly "14 year old" than saying "noob." People of all ages use the term "noob" all the time to poke fun at others and no one expects it out of only 14 year olds. Knowing how to spell on the other hand...

Comment

Anyhow - moving on from the childish disputes..

One thing i just realised after hearing this guy talk about the Rocket Launcher and after seeing the new gameplay video - can you shoot spiralled rockets anymore? Im guessing that primary fire (holding down) shoots one rocket after another, and when using altfire to load up rockets, pressing prim just before they fire releases them as grenades. That leaves just the option of a 'spread' of rockets. Im not sure how important this is im just wondering if anyone else noticed this?

Still i dont think i can be more excited about this game it just looks so amazing!

Comment

Yeah the spiral rockets are still in. At 47 seconds into that Game Videos 2 minute video a couple rockets were fired together that way to dispatch one foe.

Comment

the feign death feature looks like it was made for campers. They just chill in front of the rockets spawn w/ a close range gun and then shoot people who come get it lol.

I can see after somebody getting killed by this once or twice, running around shooting all the corpses he sees cuz he's paranoid as all hell lol.

it's pretty sick how the bots abilities sound, it's like fighting the Locust in GoW. The enemies u fought in Gears had access to all the same abilities that you did, so it was like fighting humans to an extent. good to see this carrying over to UT3.

Comment

the feign death feature looks like it was made for campers. They just chill in front of the rockets spawn w/ a close range gun and then shoot people who come get it lol.
                            I don't recall it being very effective in UT... you can't shoot while you're down and feigning... and bodies disappear fairly quickly, so seeing a body laying by the RL spawn wouldn't fool anybody more than once... you could just as easily camp without it.

Comment

The rockets are still in, but the player obviously doesn't know enough about how the weapon works to actually use it. I think the rocket launcher setup is the best way of doing it. However, it's not something someone is going to just pick up on without being told about it.

Comment

Working...
                              X