Factors effecting FPS on the whole.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Factors effecting FPS on the whole.

What are the factors effecting the speed of the game and that can make the game go slow. No ommition suggestions. What is the MAP or MODEL with highest polygon count in UT2.

Mark Rein said somewhere, that the benchmarks wil be given to the hardware vendors soon before the demo, very likely they will not be released to wide public. As about performance, on Midway Gamers Day the game was displayed on Dell XPS710 systems.

Comment

What are the specs of that system anyway? Continue factors effecting gamplay next post.

Comment

XPS 710
        CPU: Core 2 E6600
        RAM: 2GB @ 667 (2x 1GB)
        HDD: 320GB SATA2 (will replace with Raptor 150GB for OS & games and 500GB SATA2 for storage)
        GPU: 768MB 8800GTX
        CD: Dual drives, 1x DVD-ROM + 1x DVD +/- RW
        X-Fi Xtreme Sound, TV Tuner w/ remote, XPMCE

thanks, google.

Comment

Originally posted by toniglandyl View Post
          XPS 710
          CPU: Core 2 E6600
          RAM: 2GB @ 667 (2x 1GB)
          HDD: 320GB SATA2 (will replace with Raptor 150GB for OS & games and 500GB SATA2 for storage)
          GPU: 768MB 8800GTX
          CD: Dual drives, 1x DVD-ROM + 1x DVD +/- RW
          X-Fi Xtreme Sound, TV Tuner w/ remote, XPMCE

thanks, google.
          Nice... I'm glad someone posted this.

I just built a new system and it looks like I'll be chugging along GREAT in UT3...
          Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 2.8GHZ (eVGA 122-CK-NF68-AR motherboard)
          2GB of DDR2-800 Ram (2x1GB Dual Channel)
          160GB SATA HD
          eVGA 8800GTX 768MB Superclocked (621/2000)

In Vista and using DX10, this should run it like a dream...

W00t!

Comment

Thanks man. Some factors thought of:

1: High detail Textured maps.

2:High polygon count player.

3.Physics taken by flags and probable goo by Bio-Rifle.

Mention some more.

Comment

Projectors, coronas, weather effects, dynamic lighting, shadows, etc... all these "effect" the frame rate, not the speed of the gameplay. I think maybe you mean frame rate instead of the speed of the game. These types of things are going to probably be adjustable, but to fully enjoy UT3 you are going to need a modern gaming rig...

Comment

I thought this was a first person shooter thing for a second there but alas its frames per second

Comment

I'll venture a guess and say the main two framerate-affecting factors, on the whole, are ones and zeros.

In all seriousness though, you'll probably see the biggest performance hit from scenes with lots of dynamic soft shadows, though I'm sure the level designers at Epic are more than capable of optimizing the lighting. Materials with shaders like normal and displace mapping have a fairly big effect on performance, as do postprocess effects like bloom, DoF and motion blur. On a system with lower amounts of graphics RAM (256MB, forget 128) you could reasonably expect running at full texture resolution to bring the game to a crawl/slideshow.

WARNING! WANTON SPECULATION AHEAD!

*Knowing Epic's track record for this kind of stuff, don't expect a mid/high-end gaming rig (about $1500-2000) to run UT3 at maxed out settings and high resolution with acceptable framerates until a year or so after release. Maybe if you've got a quad-core Intel, 4GB of high speed RAM, and SLI 8800GTX, but if you don't have 5 grand to blow on a gaming rig you'll most likely have to sacrifice some of the jaw dropping UE3 fidelity.

* This is my prediction based mainly on Epics tendency to shoot a bit higher than the best available hardware in terms of graphics, I very well could be completely wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by Naklajat View Post
                    I'll venture a guess and say the main two framerate-affecting factors, on the whole, are ones and zeros.
                    The only correct answer to the question "what makes games run slow", really...
                    Games make games run slow.

Also, what the heck is an "ommition suggestion"?

Comment

Is there anything special about Unreal engine 3 like having b=very high detailed maps without effecting the PC something like parallex occlusion?? Or some other things that make it less stressful to the rig?

Comment

Well, if I recall correctly the actual polygon count in UT3 won't be far from UT2004, but it'll rely very heavily on shaders to render extra detail.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
                          Well, if I recall correctly the actual polygon count in UT3 won't be far from UT2004, but it'll rely very heavily on shaders to render extra detail.
                          While I'm sure you're right to a degree, Some of the screenshots I've seen leave UT2004's poly count completely in the dust. The over-water scene in some of the UT3 trailer footage is a prime example (Where the camera flies over the water, around an island, under a land bridge, and stuff like that). Not to mention the models look like they're WAY larger in poly count.

I will say though that good normal-mapped textures can take the place of a lot of polygons. You can see it ALL OVER gears of war. There is normal mapped goodness on just about every texture in that game...

Comment

It does make you wonder though at the poly vs normal maps, sure you cant push 2 million polys but upping the polys and using less detail textures might be less of an fps hit and even require less texture memory as well.

I think it was a Crysis Q/A I was reading where they said they didnt need normal maps on things (I think it was weapons) because they just used enough polys to make them look good. A good modeller can tell you, you should be able to make a totally sweet looking weapon under 10k polys easy but if you really need 50k then your gonna need a normal map. So yeah I think this whole texture thing needs to be taken a look at because normal maps still do nothing to improve the edge on an object where as polys do.

Im not saying use all polys over normals but there has to be some middle ground there, sure the characters are more polys then 2k4's but how much of the look of the model is in the polys vs the normal map. Its obvious that polys had added alot of extra details where the normal is good for the finer details. Epic seem to be heading in the right direction for UT3 with a good mix of both but it does make you wonder what specs they are aiming at.

Personally I dont even see the need for a normal map on a character till you get up close enough to see those details. Its the same with polys though with the ones you dont need to see being culled at a distance so yeah. I hope this game runs well on alot of systems.

I would say the major contributors to a low frame rate is alot of effects on the screen at once, particle effects (smoke), dynamic lighting (muzzle flashes or projectile lighting), etc and Texture resolutions. The rest isnt a big deal really, I usually play 2k4 without aggressive lodding for polycounts because it makes naff all difference unless your running a very low end card but a better cpu. Turning down the character polycount is the same it makes like no difference when compared to say detail maps or trilinear filtering.

I guess it depends where you like your details really.

Comment

I've still got a geforce 7800 under the bonnet, so I know what its like to have an old / mediocre graphics card.

The thing that annoys me about gaming on a **** card is you are most likely going to have to disable HDR. Forget Polys, HDR seems to really affect my rig. my card HATES HDR!

What I'm hoping is that epic dont design the textures to look good on HDR only. I am hoping the graphics will look better than ut2004 at low detail settings.

Now I know this is non epic related but on test drive unlimited when you disable HDR you get good frame rates but the game LOOKS LIKE ****! The textures are all washed out and extremely dull.

I'm probably gonna go out and buy dual 8800's anyway, but it would be nice for other gamers to experience good graphics on low end systems aswell. By good graphics I mean colourfull textures with real depth. I've seen all this done before HDR came about.

Look at UT2004, the graphics are amazing and there's no HDR there.

Comment

Working...
                              X