Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Projectile Acc. or Dec. from player speed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
    The problem with UT2004 is that player pawns can move at an insane speed for the first split second of a dodge. That is why Forward~Forward~Fire throws your spidermines across half the map.
    Actually the horizontal speed during a dodge is constant.

Comment

Actually... RPGs and bazookas don't have any recoil.

Actually... you do gain velocity. If you couldn't alter your velocity relative to the train, you wouldn't even be able to walk. Someone running at 20kmh along a train that's going 100khm is travelling at a total of 120kmh.
      Yeah thats what Im saying the projectile is moving through the air under its own power its not attached to the train. I think I remember saying something about relativity as well :S

Comment

This is like reverse knockback. Instead of firing a gun pushing you away, you push the weapon fire away from you. No knockback in Unreal Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by Malevol3nt View Post
          I dont see how for example a rocket could be accelerated by you dodging forward, the rockets use their own propellant, and its speed cant be affected by the rocket launcher itself... but hey, the game is called UNreal tournament so anything is possible heh..
          if you jump out of an airplane and fire a gun at height "x" while free falling the bullet would hit the ground faster then if you just stand (float?) at point "x" and fire a gun..

I think thats right.. Right?

Comment

The speed at which the bullet hits the ground is likely to be the same though, at least in the case of a free fall. If a falling object has a velocity higher than it's terminal velocity, it'll slow down.
            The same applies to rockets; realistically they have a max speed determined by their air resistance and the power output of the propellant. If their speed is higher than the max speed, air resistance will be higher than the force from the propellant and they'll slow down; the same applies vice versa.
            Like I said, the problem is a lot more complicated for rockets than it is for other projectiles.

Comment

Oy!

Well, most of the recent posts regard self-propelled projectiles (for the most part), but I think this acceleration really should only apply to non self-propelled things like grenades and bio goop (without going into the specific physics of each launcher's nuts bolts n springs torques n cliks n claks). My point is to keep the defaults simple and leave the hard really detailed tech stuff to the modding community, which I'm sure will have a ton of support from Epic to do so. There the modders, which many of you prolly are, can ehm..purify the game to their specific physics out-take

Intentsly
              (UT99~ [--]Torturia)

**If a bear kraps in the woods standing up do the laws of physics leave your foot print in it? Lighten up on the physics food folks!**

Comment

Artful spam = teh pwnage. Way cooler than some aerial headshot.
                genius statement imo.

unreal is all about dodging stuff. hitscan should be much less important than it was in ut2004.

in all seriousness, the game should be pretty much all asmd (shock rifle) combos just like in the original (BEFORE ut99). meaning much smaller and much faster moving shock balls. dodge should be optimized to be able to avoid most combos with a single dodge + some movement. it makes fights really intense...and really interesting...especially when its shock vs rifle or shock vs flak or shock vs eightball (rocket launcher)...you get the idea.

Comment

?

Originally posted by [i0]Bestia View Post
                  genius statement imo.

unreal is all about dodging stuff. hitscan should be much less important than it was in ut2004.

in all seriousness, the game should be pretty much all asmd (shock rifle) combos just like in the original (BEFORE ut99). meaning much smaller and much faster moving shock balls. dodge should be optimized to be able to avoid most combos with a single dodge + some movement. it makes fights really intense...and really interesting...especially when its shock vs rifle or shock vs flak or shock vs eightball (rocket launcher)...you get the idea.
                  No, I don't get it. I'd rather not see everything shock rifle vs whatever. I'd rather survive after a hit or two and feel like I've accomplished something. Capping after an intense battle that had me down to 1 health really feels good. I may not have done a dodge on every key movement every waking second, but I had fun surviving the run.

Intentsly
                  (UT99~ [--]Torturia)

Comment

im not talking about ctf. in ctf, even if the game was asmd/shock whorish, the simple fact that you have xloc and a huge (usually open and narrow) map would deem the asmd shock rifle's combos almost useless unless you were battling somewhat upclose.

Comment

At least jumping velocity should be the sum of current velocity and jumpZ, as it currently is (think so last time I played UT2004, elevator jumping). In HL1 you would jump and watch the tram slide away from you...

Comment

Jump speed should be the speed of the thing you're jumping from, plus the jumpZ. Unreal games only take the Z velocity of the base though, but that's OK.

Comment

All this dodging while firing rocket launcher does is to increase the accelleration of the rocket to it's highest rate of speed. It doesn't speed up the rocket so that during it's flight it goes 220km/h instead of 200km/h... It only makes the change from 0 to 200km/h take a shorter time.

So what if the rocket only travels at 20km/h... You dodge, and it may go 40km/h for a short time, but then it will slow down again back to it's maximum travel speed.

That's just the way it works. This whole discussion is great but what we're talking about is only really viable in close quarter situations... When someone is standing relatively close to you, you can dodge toward them and blast them with a rocket quicker than if you stood still and fired it...

Comment

Doesn't it just make more sense to have projectiles influenced by the momentum of the player that launches them? It's how the universe works ffs. When you throw a grenade, most professional grenade-throwers would tell you it's not a bad idea to get a running start in the direction you're throwing it.

Playing the game that way would just feel more "right". No, it's not as absurdly simple as knowing that your flak shell is going to fly straight toward whatever you happened to have your crosshairs on at the instant you fired it. But so what if it seems difficult at first? With the tiniest bit of practice, anyone can get the hang of compensating for their own motion while aiming. It's not near as hard as many people seem to think, and for whatever complexity it does add, it makes skilled spam a lot more about skill and a lot less about spam.

Bear in mind also that UT3's return to sanity with respect to dodging/jumping would only help. Going outside the box for a second ... what would help even more with not only projectile physics but gameplay in general would be if Epic would not just simply nerf the dodging, but to incorporate a "stamina factor" into player movement. Moves like dodges and jumps could still be just as powerful as in UT2, but they would take their toll also; e.g., immediately after a sequence of dodges, for few seconds you're going to have less energy with which to do your next move, and successive movements would become progressively less powerful until you "rest up" for a little while. Very natural, and very intuitive—if you manage your energy properly, you could still get off some killer moves, but you couldn't just constantly jump and dance around the map like a madman, which is one of the gameplay problems Epic was unhappy with in UT2.

(And note also the "real" application for adrenaline that would have been possible here.)

Oh well, ideas are a dime a dozen. If anyone needs me I'll be the blue-faced dude holding his breath waiting for any of this to happen.

*sigh*

Comment

Originally posted by Poker View Post
                              Doesn't it just make more sense to have projectiles influenced by the momentum of the player that launches them? It's how the universe works ffs.
                              Um, yer referring to the real universe, but this is asking how it would affect things in the Unreal universe. You and others have valid points, but sheesh its a first person shooter (quite unlike BF2) set in a futuristic period. A reasonable person would be able to see that its possible that the weapons etc.. had been designed with far more advanced design theories than 'currently known' Its not like the weapons in BF2, which are known and quantifiable in the real world. Again its all a matter of taste, if you don't like the taste wash it out with a mod of your own!

Intentsly
                              (UT99~ [--]Torturia)

Comment

Tribes Vengeance has a Rocket Launcher equivalent (the Spinfusor, fires explosive discs) that incorporates player velocity. This is not noticeable when moving forward or backward, but very noticeable when moving to the left or the right or when jumping or falling. You'd have to either 1) fire when stationary, 2) fire at the top of your jump or 3) incorporate the projectile's deviation in your aim. If it works for Tribes it should work for UT.

Anyone familiar with the Battlefield series may also have noticed that tank rounds also incorporate the tank's velocity. If you fire while moving the tank to the left, the shell will land to the left. Would be a nice addition for the Goliath. Tank spam is too easy in UT2.5.

Comment

Working...
                                X