Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Projectile Acc. or Dec. from player speed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The projectiles in the Tribes games behave this way (player momentum is imparted to player's projectiles). In some ways it feels more intuitive, but I think generally, players would find it more difficult, since they would have to account for the speed of the target, the speed of the projectile, AND their own speed when lining up a shot.

It would be a pretty big change to a very fundamental element of game mechanics, and I'd bet that long-time UT players would [defecate] bricks of pure rage if Epic did this.

Comment

UT99 Mini

I'm surprised no one has mentioned how the Minigun damage scaled up if you shot it while dodging at someone. Unless it just seemed that way due to lag, I think acceleration should not increase damage in the game.

The speed/distance to which a projectile has/goes should be the only things affected by it.

Intentsly
      (UT99~ [--]Torturia)

Comment

Originally posted by intentsly View Post
        I'm surprised no one has mentioned how the Minigun damage scaled up if you shot it while dodging at someone.
        Somehow that doesn't surprise me at all.

Comment

The problem with momentum is that everyone will be doing the same thing, running at you or dodging and firing rockets/flak etc.. It will be gay with everyone doing the same tactic. i say leave it out..

Comment

I dont see how for example a rocket could be accelerated by you dodging forward, the rockets use their own propellant, and its speed cant be affected by the rocket launcher itself... but hey, the game is called UNreal tournament so anything is possible heh..

Comment

Well obviously in the case of the rocketlauncher the rocket should, after a while, go back to it's own top speed, accelerating or decelerating as it goes.
              This would complicate matters even further.

Comment

ROFL!!! Do you guys mean you want to run forward to make the roket faster and backward to do it slower? Completly stupid... I mean,think about it seriously.

Imagine that in the real life now. LMFAO don't make UT3 worst then what it will actually be (roket+flak spam with no moves skill and stupid vehicule war like a BF9142 game)

Comment

Originally posted by UnSkilled View Post
                  ROFL!!! Do you guys mean you want to run forward to make the roket faster and backward to do it slower? Completly stupid... I mean,think about it seriously.

Imagine that in the real life now. LMFAO don't make UT3 worst then what it will actually be (roket+flak spam with no moves skill and stupid vehicule war like a BF9142 game)
                  I hope this post isn't serious. I really do.

Comment

Originally posted by UnSkilled View Post

I hope that post isn't serious either!
                    I don't believe anyone was saying that they'd want to decelerate a fired weapon's non-self propelled round. Accelerate it, yes by dodging forward, to throw off an opponent's timing. Otherwise, no, yer not going to decrease the speed of a fired round by going backwards.
                    -
                    Why do you think UT3 is going to be all roket [sic] + flak spam? I'm sure even competition games have a bit of spam going on and in all flavors of UT.
                    -
                    If you don't like vehicles don't play maps that have them, pretty simple.
                    -
                    It sounds like your real issue is the lack of trick jumping (dodge-jump) in UT3. Just because it doesn't have it now doesn't mean it won't be modded to have it later on.
                    -
                    The game is going to rock, it'll be different just like UT2 was to UT1 (not that it was better imo, but thats me). If it doesn't suit you, keep playing the older versions, but I don't think you'll be disappointed with this new version! Give it chance before you go shooting it down. You might get blown away by it

Intentsly
                    (UT99~ [--]Torturia)

Comment

Infact wouldnt the recoil push the player backwards whilst in the air so all a dodge would do is counter act that instead of adding to the velocity of the rocket. Mind you they dont do this because it makes rocket jumping alot easier.

Imagine falling towards the ground and firing a rocket for cushoning or even better yet make the rocket move quicker because its adding to your velocity then you'll get and even bigger boost after the rocket explodes because we all want bigger knockback for projectiles moving quicker lol

Comment

Lunar Lander?

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                        Infact wouldnt the recoil push the player backwards whilst in the air so all a dodge would do is counter act that instead of adding to the velocity of the rocket. Mind you they dont do this because it makes rocket jumping alot easier.

Imagine falling towards the ground and firing a rocket for cushoning or even better yet make the rocket move quicker because its adding to your velocity then you'll get and even bigger boost after the rocket explodes because we all want bigger knockback for projectiles moving quicker lol
                        You make it sound like we're playing DOS Lunar Lander on a TRS-80 (-ancient Radio Shack computer) or something. lol
                        -
                        Recoil would, if any of the weapons had it, push a player back. I just don't think these weapons have any recoil. Recoil was modified out of weapons since 2291, the deep space miners had it hard enough as it was without having recoil in their day-to-day mining tools etc. sheesh

Intentsly
                        (UT99~ [--]Torturia)

Comment

The AVRiL has recoil and knocks you backwards when you fire it in the air.

Comment

Artful spam = teh pwnage. Way cooler than some aerial headshot.

I hope UT3 spam seriously overpowers hitscan at close range. If the hitscan sucks, people will still use it at long range anyway. If the spam sucks, nobody will use it, evar, except to punish berserk hammer-happy assailants.

Accelerate it, yes by dodging forward, to throw off an opponent's timing. Otherwise, no, yer not going to decrease the speed of a fired round by going backwards.
                            Actually, you are. You add your velocity to anything you fire, regardless of the direction in which you are moving. This effect is negligible on bullets, (most) particle beams and guided rockets, but will affect slow projectiles.

The problem with UT2004 is that player pawns can move at an insane speed for the first split second of a dodge. That is why Forward~Forward~Fire throws your spidermines across half the map.

Comment

You make it sound like we're playing DOS Lunar Lander on a TRS-80 (-ancient Radio Shack computer) or something. lol
                              -
                              Recoil would, if any of the weapons had it, push a player back. I just don't think these weapons have any recoil. Recoil was modified out of weapons since 2291, the deep space miners had it hard enough as it was without having recoil in their day-to-day mining tools etc. sheesh

Intentsly
                              (UT99~ [--]Torturia)
                              Well yeah indeed you could make up something but trust me if your holding an rpg or a rocket launcher there is going to be recoil it comes down to the laws of physics. Unless they totally killed newton

I was kinda trying to point out that things like this could make weapon jumping easy as which could be why Epic dont go that way with their weapons. It just needs a lot of testing to get right, people online will always fine the craziest ways to exploit said things.

Mind you in 2k4 not all projectiles are effected the same by gravity and infact it varies from level to level sometimes

Oh and yeah say your on a train and you jump forward your velocity is based on that of the train but... you dont gain any extra velocity because you were already travelling that fast to begin with. I think it goes to relativity and with weapons (forgetting recoil for the moment ) if you fire from on a vehicle the projectile will still be shot at the same speed infact you might even catch up to it if you were travelling fast enough. Its because bullets etc (forgetting energy weapons etc atm) travel under their own power they are not a thrown projectile such as a grenade which would be based on the players movement. How ever if you shoot side ways since you are moving forward the projectile would fall behind like a massive slice or extreme wind shear.

Comment

if your holding an rpg or a rocket launcher there is going to be recoil
                                Actually... RPGs and bazookas don't have any recoil.

say your on a train and you jump forward your velocity is based on that of the train but... you dont gain any extra velocity because you were already travelling that fast to begin with.
                                Actually... you do gain velocity. If you couldn't alter your velocity relative to the train, you wouldn't even be able to walk. Someone running at 20kmh along a train that's going 100khm is travelling at a total of 120kmh.

Comment

Working...
                                X