Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Projectile Acc. or Dec. from player speed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Projectile Acc. or Dec. from player speed!

Well one of the things in physics(at least UT2k4 that I mostly now of) was that weapon projectiles don't get any acceleration or deceleration from the player's speed.
    There were only few weapon projectiles in UT2004 that were accelerated from the players speed they are: Grenade Launcher grenades, Mine Layer mines and Assault Rifles grenades.

This would make difference in gameplay if it would affect all weapon projectiles.
    So I have a question.

Will these 3 mentioned weapon projectiles be the only ones that are affected by players speed in UT3??

i think it'll stay as UT2004, since diagonal moving rockets and everything else would be too confusing gameplay-wise. and it would be a way to "cheat" the slow rockets : dodge forward and shoot a rocket, and it goes 2 times faster...

Comment

Originally posted by Pendrokar View Post
      Will these 3 mentioned weapon projectiles be the only ones that are affected by players speed in UT3??
      I really, REALLY hope Epic doesn't even consider implementing this for any other weapons. In fact I hope they get rid of the idea alltogether.
      It may be realistic, but it screws over the already harder to use projectile weapons. (OK, it doesn't really matter in the case of the minelayer)

Comment

i think it should be like it was in the original unreal (before ut99), where dodging forwards while primary firing a rocket shoots it just as fast as if you were standing still...but if you load up the secondary fire and dodge forwards, the grenades fly out faster and further than if you were standing still.

i should also mention that the same goes for the biorifle in u1. the biorifle was perfect in the original. if you loaded it up (secondary fire), you couldnt hold it forever like you can in ut99-2004. as soon as 5 boogers (lol) were loaded, they shot out. it would balance the weapon more and require better timing when using it, therefore making things more interesting.

one thing i would like to see is the same momentum effect implemented on the flak's secondary. talk about some interesting battles!

oh...and while im discussing weapons. i would absolutely LOVE to see the return of the original unreal's razorjack. ut99's razor was kind of lame in my opinion. u1's was so much better. its awesome because the secondary fire allowed you to CONTROL where the razor was going after you shot it! if this does make a comeback, i think the control that you have should be much more precise/sensitive to your mouse movement/crosshair. it shouldnt be as delayed as it was in u1. hell...maybe even include zero delay. all that would be required then is timing it JUST right as it flies forward and you move your crosshair over someone's head. **** that would own!

Comment

I don't mind as long as its dropped for the spider mine launcher. Its abused far to much.

Comment

I really don't think it should be included at all. Ok it's not a big deal with something that doesn't go very far like a spidermine. In fact chances are if spider mines didn't gain momentum when you dodge you'd probably kill yourself everything you shot one while moving forward. For anything else however it would become a huge exploit. What are you going to do when someone jumps on top of a fast moving vehicle and starts shooting rockets or flak. It would just ruin all sorts of balance. Last thing we need is flak primary that travels for ever, or instant hit goo.

Comment

Originally posted by Pendrokar View Post
              Well one of the things in physics(at least UT2k4 that I mostly now of) was that weapon projectiles don't get any acceleration or deceleration from the player's speed.
              There were only few weapon projectiles in UT2004 that were accelerated from the players speed they are: Grenade Launcher grenades, Mine Layer mines and Assault Rifles grenades.

This would make difference in gameplay if it would affect all weapon projectiles.
              So I have a question.

You forgot flak and bio.
              Of course UT3 will have projectile accel, its been in every UT, thats just how things work. Every gun in UT that looks like it would pick up acceleration when throwing yourself forward and firing at same time, does.

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos View Post
                You forgot flak and bio.
                Of course UT3 will have projectile accel, its been in every UT, thats just how things work. Every gun in UT that looks like it would pick up acceleration when throwing yourself forward and firing at same time, does.
                Are you sure about this? Flak and Bio speed seem constant and not affected by playerspeed.

Comment

Originally posted by chu::LOB:: View Post
                  Are you sure about this? Flak and Bio speed seem constant and not affected by playerspeed.
                  Never dodge jumped and shot secondary flak? The ball goes like twice the length.

EDIT:
                  Forgive me for misunderstanding that the thread means weapons actually accelerating in speed rather then in distance.

Comment

Never dodge jumped and shot secondary flak? The ball goes like twice the length.
                    No, it doesn't. Try it now, the flak sec is not affected in any way by your own speed. The only reason it seems to go further is because
                    A. you actually moved forward during your dodge so you're firing it from a position further forward and
                    B. you're firing it from a higher point. You'll actually get even more distance if you doublejump instead of dodgejump, and you will get the exact same distance if you dodgejump to the side or even backwards.

You forgot flak and bio.
                    Of course UT3 will have projectile accel, its been in every UT, thats just how things work.
                    No. The only weapon in UT that was affected by your own speed was the rocketlauncher's grenade firemode, and even that was rather hard to notice. In UT2k3 it's just the assault grenades.

Originally posted by TWD View Post
                    What are you going to do when someone jumps on top of a fast moving vehicle and starts shooting rockets or flak. It would just ruin all sorts of balance. Last thing we need is flak primary that travels for ever, or instant hit goo.
                    I'm surprised you actually think this will be a problem. It's not like you can aim properly if your projectiles are affected that much by your own speed. What's the point in having really fast rockets you have absolutely no control over if you might as well take out the sniper rifle and put a bullet through someone's head without risking your own neck?
                    If anything having projectiles affected by speed means they'll be completely useless because they're WAY too hard to control unless you're standing still.

Originally posted by [i0]Bestia View Post
                    oh...and while im discussing weapons. i would absolutely LOVE to see the return of the original unreal's razorjack. ut99's razor was kind of lame in my opinion. u1's was so much better. its awesome because the secondary fire allowed you to CONTROL where the razor was going after you shot it! if this does make a comeback, i think the control that you have should be much more precise/sensitive to your mouse movement/crosshair. it shouldnt be as delayed as it was in u1. hell...maybe even include zero delay. all that would be required then is timing it JUST right as it flies forward and you move your crosshair over someone's head. **** that would own!
                    Interestingly the movement of the Razorjack secondary wasn't actually delayed. It just doesn't work like you think it does. Instead of homing in at your crosshair, the projectile just steers to fly in the same direction you're looking. i.e. if you fire it to the south and want it to make a 90 degrees turn, you'd actually have to face east or west after firing it.
                    If there's ever a Razorjack in another UT game, I think it'd be better if the secondary blades attempted to stay in your line of fire so that they'll actually hit what you're aiming at.

Comment

Originally posted by chu::LOB:: View Post
                      not sure if you read my previous post, but bio speed/distance is affected by momentum in the original unreal. it rules!

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
                      Interestingly the movement of the Razorjack secondary wasn't actually delayed. It just doesn't work like you think it does. Instead of homing in at your crosshair, the projectile just steers to fly in the same direction you're looking. i.e. if you fire it to the south and want it to make a 90 degrees turn, you'd actually have to face east or west after firing it.
                      If there's ever a Razorjack in another UT game, I think it'd be better if the secondary blades attempted to stay in your line of fire so that they'll actually hit what you're aiming at.
                      i know exactly how it works.

and youre dead on with what i was trying to say. you shouldnt have to turn as much to makes the blades turn. it should stay on your crosshair as closely as possible. it would make it SUCH a formidable weapon. i would ***** it so much no doubt haha. granted it would take a lot of practice...but it would be awesome to see! especially like...around the corner headshots!!! (i.e. you know someone is coming but you cant see them so you shoot a razor secondary...and if youre experienced/skilled enough, you can predict exactly where they will be and take off their head without even seeing them!)

Comment

Hehe, that'd be awesome. Take that, hitscan whores.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
                          I'm surprised you actually think this will be a problem. It's not like you can aim properly if your projectiles are affected that much by your own speed. What's the point in having really fast rockets you have absolutely no control over if you might as well take out the sniper rifle and put a bullet through someone's head without risking your own neck?
                          If anything having projectiles affected by speed means they'll be completely useless because they're WAY too hard to control unless you're standing still.
                          I don't think you'd feel that way if you had a super fast redeemer coming at you. Who knows what else you could do. Adding momentum to things like rockets would just create too many exploits/other weird problems. Things that I'd never think of.

Comment

I think that's about as likely as the removal of the dodgejump creating exploits.

Comment

i dont think this should really be up for debate...this time around, epic knows what will and will not be good for gameplay. the best way to learn is to learn from your mistakes, and it certainly appears epic is learning from the many mistakes they made with ut2003/4.

Comment

Working...
                              X