No announcement yet.

3 sec gameplay delay?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yeah id keep the 3 secs, often in clan games you are waiting for 20-30 mins whilst someone goes off for a pss or only half the players have turned up etc and Im normally watching telly or chattin to the wife and then you here those three little clicks and its... game time!!

Comment

Heck, I think it's a nice feature. Even UT1 beta featured countdown before match start, but it was scrapped in final release for some reason.

Comment

Clan games?
        This thread is about offline games.

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
          You can, but do you want to?
          Besides, it gets really annoying when you want to test a mutator or a map you're working on (which you do a lot during development, and generally offline) and you have to wait 3 seconds every single time. It may not even add up to a significant amount of time but it just gets on my nerves.
          Ok, I can understand that. But didn't they mention something about play testing directly in the editor a long time ago?

Comment

It should start immediately. When you're pumped to start a match, you click and you should be in the action. I hate clicking and then I have this useless countdown, wait, wait, wait, ok now I can play, LAME.

Comment

While Tribes 2 was a train wreck of a game (Tribes: Vengeance even more so), the in-game countdown was highly memorable, although it's not particularly different from UT's.

Comment

TBH I never really even noticed it.

Comment

hmm. 3 seconds. it's 3 freakin' seconds guys! Does it really bug yah that much?

It took my longer to write this post than 3 seconds!

Comment

this is one hell of a thing to complain about dude

Comment

Originally posted by Eshelon View Post
                      hmm. 3 seconds. it's 3 freakin' seconds guys! Does it really bug yah that much?

It took my longer to write this post than 3 seconds!
                      3 seconds + the additional lag you get when starting a game. The ones who annoy it the most are the ones developing something for the game though.

Comment

Originally posted by Kea View Post
                        In UT99, the match starts instantly when you press fire. In UT2003/4 there is a countdown of 3 seconds, and still there is a brief 'embarrasing pause' as the engine needs to load something (I-don't-know-what) or run some UScript last-minute, which could have been done during that countdown... I think the 3 sec countdown is useful in online games so you don't get taken by surprise, however in singleplayer games it's quite wonderful to see the game kick-off instantly when pressing fire, you know what I mean?
                        I would have voted yes in this if you didn't say "it should always be there" right next to the yes answer. If you could turn it on and off it'd be cool though .

Comment

I think it gives me time to think about how wonderful the game is But really, since loading the bots at the end of the countdown in UT2004 causes lag, I think in UT3, they may have to play elevator music for you.

Comment

I found it quite annoying how the game started instantly in UT99, I was never ready. I like the delay, it gives me time to get ready before i jump into a match.

Comment

Originally posted by Devastation View Post
                              I would have voted yes in this if you didn't say "it should always be there" right next to the yes answer. If you could turn it on and off it'd be cool though .
                              Seconded. Match start delay should be configurable (just an on/off checkbox should suffice; I doubt anyone would want more than 3 seconds) both on- and offline.

Comment

Working...
                              X