which setup is better for UT3/UE3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

which setup is better for UT3/UE3?

2 video cards (namely 6800GT, what i have) in SLI mode?

or

1 video card + 1 physX card?

it depends on the one video card... if it is one 6800 the 2 in sli will be better than the physx card however if the one card is a 8800 GTx the single card + physx will be faster

Comment

Nvidia just released a 384MB version of the 8800 GTS ppl... Only $300!

Nice... Very nice...

I think my two 7900GT's would be taken over by a SLI config of two of those new 8800's.

Comment

640MB 8800 is $400, if you're got the extra 100 bones.

Comment

GDDR4 is on its way, just wait for the 8900GTX

The 8800GTX already flogs so I cant wait to see it with quicker ram and perhaps acouple of extra shader pipes for show XD

Edit: They should just put ram slots on the video card board hehe

Comment

Unless you are able to SLI the 6800GT and the PhysX cards @ 16x, I personally would prefer the dual 6800GT SLI setup you mentioned. Now, a dual 8800GTX 768 SLI would just be sick. At that point, it would be time to upgrade to 1000w.

Comment

Here is a list of the cards that should be coming out. Not sure how accurate it is being released this early but I wouldn't think it would be that off.
              Card model, Clock speeds (Core/Memory), Memory type, Memory bandwidth (bits), Memory size, Shaders, nm size, Cost (order from the chart)

Comment

I would say that a single video card and a physics card would out perform two sli'd cards, depending on the card you're talking about of course. I'm not the most knowledgeable person about it but if you had two sli'd cards rated at the same relative performance as one single card, the architecture of the one card would make things process a bit faster. Also since physics are mainly dependent upon the processor as oppose to the video card taking that extra load off the processor would speed things up as well. (I have little credibility so don't quote me on this, it's more like my educated guess)

Comment

Wait until it is released, because then
                  1. we'll know the answer.
                  2. the hardware will be waaaay cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by Modulus View Post
                    Nvidia just released a 384MB version of the 8800 GTS ppl... Only $300!
                    new 8800's.

u mean they released a 320MB version, half of the 640MB GTS variant.

but if u ask me, 320MB are not enough, especial 4 a UT3 game with big big big textures
                    ®

Comment

I haven't heard of anybody with a physics card that's been overly impressed with them.

Comment

yeah im thinking 2 video cards would be better. my processor (AMD64 3200+ @ 2.5 gHz) should be able to handle the brunt of the physics by itself.

Comment

I'm thinking of a radeon 1950 pro agp 8x 250$ though my budget is 400$ I'm waiting for a better nvidia card with a agp compatability. For now along with the x1950 pro i would definately have a physx processor to anble liquid cloth s,=moke etc simulation. I don't think the game is so complex that you need a dual 8800 gts. Any way i don't have the cash nor the power. And by the way instead of buying a dual 8800 400 each just get a XBOX 360.

Comment

Working...
                          X