This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

a suggestion for epic

if you guys havent already considered or discussed this...i really think you should.

UT3 will be for PC, PS3, and (i think) xbox360...right? an i idea that i have that would contribute to maximizing your profits would be to allow the online gameplay to span across all systems, meaning PC players should be able to play PS3 and 360 players...PS3 players should be able to play PC and 360 players...and 360 players should be able to play PC and PS3 players.

for example, john has a PC and jim has a PS3. john has UT3 and jim doesnt. john INSISTS that jim gets UT3 as soon as possible so they can play together. jim's PC isnt good enough for UT3...so the only way he could immediately play the game is to buy it for PS3 (that is if PC/PS3/360 online play is available.) and in the future, jim may even decide to invest in a better PC on which to play UT3 as well. you can also consider other various scenarios where the idea is both likely and valid.

i should also mention that doing this will GREATLY increase the size of the community, generally making the players happier and come back for more. not to mention that it would make things REALLY interesting...and REALLY fun...thats what epic is all about right?

last thing off the top of my head for the moment...but you could also use this idea as a marketing gimmick. it would most certainly get MY attention.

Originally posted by [i0]Bestia View Post
    if you guys havent already considered or discussed this...i really think you should.

UT3 will be for PC, PS3, and (i think) xbox360...right? an i idea that i have that would contribute to maximizing your profits would be to allow the online gameplay to span across all systems, meaning PC players should be able to play PS3 and 360 players...PS3 players should be able to play PC and 360 players...and 360 players should be able to play PC and PS3 players.

for example, john has a PC and jim has a PS3. john has UT3 and jim doesnt. john INSISTS that jim gets UT3 as soon as possible so they can play together. jim's PC isnt good enough for UT3...so the only way he could immediately play the game is to buy it for PS3 (that is if PC/PS3/360 online play is available.) and in the future, jim may even decide to invest in a better PC on which to play UT3 as well. you can also consider other various scenarios where the idea is both likely and valid.

i should also mention that doing this will GREATLY increase the size of the community, generally making the players happier and come back for more. not to mention that it would make things REALLY interesting...and REALLY fun...thats what epic is all about right?

last thing off the top of my head for the moment...but you could also use this idea as a marketing gimmick. it would most certainly get MY attention.
    Are you trying to say "cross platform"? I think that about sums it up. Epic is already considering doing it, but there is no confirmation as of yet. Although some modding between the platforms is almost certain as been stated in various interviews from epic.

I suggest visiting http://www.beyondunreal.com on a regular basis for all unreal related news.

Comment

Against any cross platform support in UT3.

Comment

Cross-platform is less of an issue than cross-controller.

The difficulty is balancing the player with keyboard and mouse against someone using a controller, regardless of the hardware the engine is running on.

It would be possible to give the controller user a partial aimbot/target assist or some other aid to bring them to a par with a mediocre keyboard & mouse user but to get this right would be a considerable feat.

Thumbs up and to Epic for not deciding which way to go on this while they work out whether or not it's achievable in a way which will not alienate one group of users.

Comment

This topic has been discussed heavily. There's even a thread near the top talking about this issue. Please look or even search before you post a thread.

Comment

OMG Epic hire this guy he's obviously a genius years ahead of his time.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
              OMG Epic hire this guy he's obviously a genius years ahead of his time.
              quoted for truth... ...man, cross platform play... ...what a new and brilliant idea. \o/

Comment

While I'm againt cross-controller play, I don't see an issue in PS3 Keyboard and mouse players getting access to the PC-network, would be helpfull in terms of community size.

Comment

Originally posted by Zynith View Post
                  While I'm againt cross-controller play, I don't see an issue in PS3 Keyboard and mouse players getting access to the PC-network, would be helpfull in terms of community size.
                  Agreed. So long as all of the controller accomodating stuff like auto-aim or sticky aim is off, I see no problem with console players joining PC servers.
                  Logically, that would only be worth it for those console players that play the game with keyboard and mouse. I hope for that matter, that Epic lets console players achieve the same kind of control as PC players with those controls plugged in.

Comment

I think epic should force pc players to use a controller to make cross platforming more fair. LOL. JK. anyway I don't care what epic does with the consoles because I've played games like UC and UC2 and they don't really compare to UT. I'm not saying UT3 for consoles isn't going to be fun but using a controller almost makes it a different game. So far I think the best idea is to use mouse and keyboard with PS3. whether 360 supports this I don't know. but it's made by microsoft... why wouldn't it? lol.

Comment

They were talking about making quite a few in-game content/playability differences between the console & PC versions so fraid I can't see it happening.

Comment

Originally posted by Righteous_Slayer View Post
                        So far I think the best idea is to use mouse and keyboard with PS3. whether 360 supports this I don't know. but it's made by microsoft... why wouldn't it? lol.
                        You just answered your own question there.

Comment

Originally posted by [i0]Bestia View Post

They say a picture speaks a thousand words but yet a simple description avoids a whole life story....

"Dear epic, I have a suggestion: Cross-platform gaming for UT"

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha View Post
                            Agreed. So long as all of the controller accomodating stuff like auto-aim or sticky aim is off, I see no problem with console players joining PC servers.
                            Logically, that would only be worth it for those console players that play the game with keyboard and mouse. I hope for that matter, that Epic lets console players achieve the same kind of control as PC players with those controls plugged in.
                            Why would you want auto-aim off for people with a console? It wouldn't make a difference if it was on or off against a decent PC player.

Comment

hey, bitter internet nerds...lighten up.

i DID do a search for this topic but to no avail. i both queried and manually scanned through the topic titles within the first three pages.

but anyway, i agree with ons. if cross-platforming (thanks for informing me of the "proper" term, smartasses) does happen...auto-aim for the console gamers (with controllers) should be enabled but there should be some kind of trick to it so its not that easy. it should take relatively the same amount of time for someone on a console who just started playing to have the same quality aim as someone on a PC who just started playing. long story short the learning curve should be the same (or as similar as possible). if a controller is being used...a 180 button should be implemented. and of course, if a keyboard/mouse is being used, auto-aim should be disabled.

as for those who question the weight of this thread i have created, the whole premise behind my original post was to actually give good reason for cross-platforming. i listed valid arguments by which epic could maximize their profits. epic is a business. they want to do this.

another idea that would likely increase profits would be for epic to have some kind of deal with computer accessory company(ies), where epic advertises the capability of both cross-platforming and keyboard/mouse attachments. a specialized keyboard-style (maybe not an entire keyboard) attachment specifically for each console may also work. the deal between companies could be as simple as receiving a percentage of the profits due to this idea.

other than all that...you can also see it from an economic stand-point. the more money-flow, the better the economy.

oh, and i would like to mention the community again. larger community equals better community. and larger, better community means more free advertising for epic (word of mouth), which again means higher profits. if cross-platforming happens, i cant WAIT to see the variance in playing styles between controller users and keyboard/mouse users. it would really make things interesting.

Comment

Working...
                              X