Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full Dual Core Support?

Will UT 3 support dual core?
    I ask this because I have a dual core PC and got many problems while playing games, so I had to deactivate one core before playing. I can´t imagine that UT 3 doesn´t have any support. Otherwise it would be annoying to me.

Yes UT3 will support 2 core cpu

AS mark said 8mths ago

Comment

i would sacrafice my own self for the stupidity of epic if it didnt support dual core! lol j/k of course its gonna support it!

Comment

Anybody know about quad core?

Supreme commander says it supports 4 cores, but on my 2 core system, on graphing CPU strain, one is fully used, the other has 75% spare capacity.

Do we know if the 2 cores share the load propperly? Anybody know after messing with other Unreal engine 3 games??

Comment

Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post

Supreme commander says it supports 4 cores, but on my 2 core system, on graphing CPU strain, one is fully used, the other has 75% spare capacity.

Do we know if the 2 cores share the load propperly? Anybody know after messing with other Unreal engine 3 games??
          All I know is that they're going to have each CPU do seperate stuff (Ai, Physics, etc...).
          So it won't be a case where a single thread is split up and equally shared between the 2 cpus, would be too complex to program.
          So the loads will usually be uneven, but it's still a major optimization.

Comment

Rain said in one of the latest interviews that UT3 will still be the bench mark for top of the line rigs a year from now, if that's true quad support is a must imo.

Comment

Has there been any word from Epic regarding support for all operational SPEs in the PS3?

Comment

Originally posted by ULTRAVISITOR View Post
                Has there been any word from Epic regarding support for all operational SPEs in the PS3?
                Someone from epic mentioned something about the fact that most of the processing can't be done on the SPE's because of the nature of the thigns that have to be done. It seemed to me that about 50% of the processing was being done on the main core and a few other less important things landed on two or three SPEs. The SPE approach really wasn't too bright for sony... 4 full general purpose cores would have probably been a better alternative than 1 general purpose and 6 spe's that only certain things can be run on.

Comment

Wouldn't it be pretty stupid to spend ages making a game for the PS3 and then only utilize one of the seven cores?

Comment

People do do stupid things... sadly.

Comment

Originally posted by The5thviruz View Post
                      Wouldn't it be pretty stupid to spend ages making a game for the PS3 and then only utilize one of the seven cores?
                      There are seven cores, all capable of handling one thread at a time each. Under ideal conditions, in a perfect world, you could divide your game seven ways and you'd be running like a bat out of hades. Here's the thing though:

One is a general purpose core meaning that it can handle pretty much any type of programming you throw at it.

The other 6 are "SPEs" and only have the capability to run certain types of operations. There are plenty of things in every game that an SPE just CAN'T do. There are also SOME things that they CAN do which means they're not USELESS. Everything you can take off the main CPU is great, so they're of some help.

The thing is, "7 cores" in the case of the PS3 doesn't mean the same thing as "3 cores" in the 360. The 360 has 3 general purpose symetrical cores capable of handling two threads at a time each (it can do six "anythings" at once). Depending on what you're trying to do the 360 could be a far more powerful machine...but the same thing goes for the PS3. John Carmack seems to think that the SPEs were not a good choice for a machine running games... Seeing as he's pretty much the smartest guy in the industry...you can kinda take that as gospel.

I think, had they used 4 symetrical, general purpose cores, they would have been FAR better off than their current design. SPEs were probably a lot cheaper and easier to produce than a general purpose setup though.

Comment

My point was that if you are developing a game for the PS3, you might as well take advantage of what's there.

Comment

Originally posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
                          the quad core out now is really a double double core (or a dual dual core) so it should work... but do to its nature is isnt that much better than a dual core processor.

Comment

Originally posted by flhs_Jimmy View Post
                            Will UT 3 support dual core?
                            I ask this because I have a dual core PC and got many problems while playing games, so I had to deactivate one core before playing. I can´t imagine that UT 3 doesn´t have any support. Otherwise it would be annoying to me.
                            The problems you are experiencing are due to the developer's choice of unreliable timing mechanisms, that don't expect threads to run completely async when distributed across more than one CPU. Microsoft has been documenting the problem for a few years now, and urge developers to use QueryPerformanceCounter instead.

Comment

Originally posted by Guru7892 View Post
                              the quad core out now is really a double double core (or a dual dual core) so it should work... but do to its nature is isnt that much better than a dual core processor.
                              It has 4 cores each of which go at the same speed and have access to the same cache as one of the cores on a dual core processor. Memory bandwidth limitations and cache coherency aside (which have an impact but not a huge one) it will be exactly twice the speed of an equivelently clocked and cached dual core.
                              The problem is more of a programming one - can epic split their code so it runs balanced across 4 cores (i.e. they all go flat out) - probably not, but I would still expect 4 cores to run a bit faster then 2.

Comment

Working...
                              X