Reminiscing the Unreal series

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reminiscing the Unreal series

Sitting back and reading through these forums has brought back a lot of memories about the Unreal series. I remember having a K6-1 160 Mhz with 2 600MB hard drives and i had to erase one of my hard drives completely just to have enough space for Unreal 1. That was an incredible game, and i still play the single player once a month or so.

I still remember that Unreal 1 trailer, with that original soundtrack music i still have, when the guy playing was walking through a canyon and firing at some skaarj. Delicious.

Things in Unreal 1 i loved were :

- the movement and the huge bobbing were awesome
    - the flak cannon was as close to perfection as you can get, but..but..i loved the old OLD sound it had, that metallic rusty one in the first ever version of unreal, not that new hydraulic one it got in 224 i think. Too bad i could never find it to replace it
    - the minigun was awesome, two 3-barrel parts spinning against each other was a true treat to have on screen while filling someone with lead.
    - the huge spread of someone-s guts when they got 6 eight-ball rockets chucked in their face

Then, when the trailer for UT99 showed up, the one with the guy giving headshots in slow motion and firing at the feet of people with the secondary fire of the ripper, on the music the DM-Gothic map has...i have to admit.. i dreamed i was playing UT for a couple of nights after seeing that trailer...
    When i finally got the game, i was so enthusiastic i took hours customising it , i built profiles for each bot , each one with a cool name and weapon prefference, played all the gamemodes and everything for a looong loong time.

I sort of ignored UT2003 at first since i still had my K6 III 400mhz and TNT2 M64, and i didn't want to get my hopes up, so i didn't watch any trailers at all. Then when it came out i saw it at a friend and the next day went and bought an upgrade. I liked this one even more, the flak cannon got a huge boost and it was very satisfying to play with it (despite it didn't have the chop sound any more) . I even tried to make a map for UT2k3 (not anything special, i tried but didn't get the size right so it was huge..oops).
    The main thing i couldn't get enough in UT2k3 was the shock combo blast sound. It was perfect, WHAMMMM, plasma disruption, music to the soul

UT2004 caught me still playing UT2003 like every day so i just made the transition and continued playing. Of course i had the music from UT99 in the playlist . UT2004's most awesome thing was Onslaught i must admit, i had a lot of fun playing it with my friends. I also liked the wall dodges in 2k4 so i learned to do them in almost every situation and from every direction, it was fun and satisfying to get thrown by a rocket towards a wall, walldodging back at the attacker and plant one (1) flak in the kisser.

And now, i saw the trailers for UT3 and...i think i'm going to be bald by the time it comes out, i need that game! It's like *** implemented in C++. Gimme gimme gimme.

For this new unreal , i am most courious about three things :

-the flak cannon, my favourite weapon, i want to see what animations it has on the model, how much satisfying it is to wipe someone on a wall with it, and mostly the sound the shreds make when ripping someone up ( i still keep my fingers crossed the chop sound from U1 & UT99 will make a comeback).

-the sniper rifle and mostly the headshot system.

-last but not least, the music..i hope there will be some serious flak-in-the-pie-hole-wall-wiping-floor-mopping-minigun-shredding-combo-blastin' music in that game.

Looking back at the Unreal series i know for sure that there is no way i'll be dissapointed with UT3.

Thanks Epic for bringing this series upon the world

P.s here's some flak cannon tribute : (i'm going to have to add a fourth pic in that soon ^____^ )

Mouahaha funny read. I sort of agree.

Comment

The body detection system is far more detailed now than the ole cylinder hitspot of Unreal. Of course there was the crotch shot mod in UT99...

I just replayed the UT99 demo just for jollies while scrapping around my system and found it. I could still play coret endlessly...like I did when the demo hit...

The Map coret has a lot of great gameplay elements, narrow halls, short distance and a few paths and a really good in your face gameplay.

pfft yea, I hadda upgrade my system to 200mhz to run unreal, it didnt like the 135 mhz cpu I had, 200 mhz was the max my system could take, that system is now fried...200 mhz was its max...the electronics couldnt take it...
      I was lucky to back up everything on it before it went... :whew:

I'm curious about the UT 3 renaming, theres so much interest for an Unreal 3,
      and their giving UT3 a stronger storyline...

The game has me very curious indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by Antigru View Post
        - the flak cannon was as close to perfection as you can get, but..but..i loved the old OLD sound it had, that metallic rusty one in the first ever version of unreal, not that new hydraulic one it got in 224 i think. Too bad i could never find it to replace it
        I completely agree.
        I actually modded my Unreal at one point to have the old weapon sounds in. They seemed a lot cleaner and more unique and rough than the new sounds. I tried it again a while back though and it turned out to be a lot harder than I remembered. I'll have another go at it sometime soon. I just hope I can find an original v200 install of Unreal. (my original CD bit the dust long ago)
        At least now I know I'm not the only one that thinks this.

Originally posted by dinwitty View Post
        The body detection system is far more detailed now than the ole cylinder hitspot of Unreal. Of course there was the crotch shot mod in UT99...
        Actually UT2004 used cylinder collision for players. I hope UT3 will, too.

Comment

One of the music clips is here:

http://www.kevinrieplmusic.com/ut.htm

We have seen the flack in the latest trailer, but it does not have sound.

Comment

It's like *** implemented in C++. Gimme gimme gimme.
            I'll second that. =)

Comment

Originally posted by N1ghtmare View Post
              One of the music clips is here:

http://www.kevinrieplmusic.com/ut.htm

We have seen the flack in the latest trailer, but it does not have sound.
              Its HERE to.

Comment

that song is just way to mellow for actually match music.. im guessing and hoping that that is their menu music.. cuzz that would fit perfect.

Comment

It would be perfect as a menu music or fit as the start of the single player campain!!
                  mybe they can ask godsmack and some techno/hardcore people to record some music that will fit the game!!
                  there is no better way then fragging people and bots while listening to godsmack and releasing the demons! (<--me!!)

Comment

Unfortunetly, I believe that most of the music is going to be made by Kevin Reipl who will undoubtably use a lot of strings and symphonic type arrangements rather than the techno stuff we enjoyed in UT99.

I did read several months ago that Alexander Brandon would be working on the soundtrack as well... If you're familiar with any of his UT99 works (hear: Into the Darkness, Organic, Phantom [<-- the ****], Save Me, Underworld II, Three Wheels Turning, Go Down [Deck16 tune], SuperFist, and probably several others) you'd know that his style is one that defined the series and we can all look forward to some awesome heart-thumping tracks from this guy.

@Antigru

Unreal was awesome... That part of the game when you first step out of the ship was awe inspiring. Unreal co-op was one of my favorite things to do...

UT was an amazing game... I played it for about 5 years non-stop. I mean hours a day... Played with several clans and made it to the top of the ladders with those guys on several occasions for TDM and CTF. The level of competition was unequaled in many ways, and man... It was just fun. And yeah, the chop needs to be brought back for the flak.

UT99 rocket arena was the **** and I played that exclusively for about 2 years... Got so good at it at one point that I knew, joining a server, that I would be #1 or #2 in frags each and every time I played... That was fun. Great mod, and I can't wait to try it for UT3.

UT2kX sucked donkey balls imo... Played each one for several months and then moved on to other games, or gave up gaming all together.

Comment

Well lets just say that both UT's have there ups and down's!
                      I personaly like having rock or heavy metal running while fraggin away!
                      I dont realy see a problem with having simphonic music mixed with techno or rock/metal! Just to get the ultimate unreal feeling i go trash metal all the way!!! but then again everyone has there own tast of music! mybe epic should include a mp3 upload within the game! i dont know what there planning! I like heavy metal/death metal and trash/speed metal but there is just something cool about shooting people to peaces with a shockcombo while listening to baithoven Nr 9 or something(classical stuff ).
                      Its peace full and yet violent!! i love it!!!

traaalalalala...frag frag...lalalala...frag frag!!!!

Comment

Hahaha nice one! The music that was on the other page kinda made me feel i was in some sort of a CTF-FACE or UT99 Phobos with space and those light sounds you have on space stations, awesome.

If i look at it from a far angle, seems like the 2k series broke Unreal fans in UT99 and 2k and this UT3 is slowly bringing them back together. That's quite nice

Comment

I agree!!
                          I vote for a UT religion!!
                          bring the warriors together in UT3!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

If i look at it from a far angle, seems like the 2k series broke Unreal fans in UT99 and 2k and this UT3 is slowly bringing them back together. That's quite nice
                            Originally posted by »{EID}«-Silenoz View Post
                            I agree!!
                            I vote for a UT religion!!
                            bring the warriors together in UT3!!!!!!!!!!!!
                            Hehe, I like your energy guys! I'm really hoping that UT3 will bring back a lot of things we loved about UT99 including an awesome community!

Comment

Originally posted by »{EID}«-Silenoz View Post
                              Its HERE to.
                              That SERIOUSLY brings back U1 emotions. It's wild how sounds can do that.

I'm definitely all about the new UT being MUCH more like the originals than 2003-2004... While UT 2003-04 were fun, they just didn't have that good ole UNREAL feeling.

Comment

Working...
                              X