Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New moves?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    I think with a quick execution of a 10 key combo you should be able to do “The Triple Lindy”.

    Comment


      #32
      Slightly off-topic, but in relation to new players finding things hard or not knowing about movement etc... Maybe a better tutorial could solve this.
      Playing through the single player campaign could gradually unlock new weapons and moves. To get past say map/stage 4 to 5, you have to unlock the double-jump move by double-jumping from crate to crate and reach an objective. Only then can you advance further or use the double jump.

      These unlock levels would be linked to the matchmaking system:
      1 has unlocked x movement and can play with people of the same level
      2 has unlocked y weapon...
      etc...

      A special "tutorial" mode of the single player campaign would be solely for unlocking moves/weapons and would take only about 30-60 minutes for anyone with a clue, as well as an option for just changing an ini line to unlock it all. Anyone who knows what editing an ini is and can find the information online doesn't really need a tutorial, so it would be fine imo.

      If i were me, I would prevent online playing completely until everything is unlocked, but I know Epic won't do this.

      Comment


        #33
        I really like that idea. People would enjoy the game more if they had a better understanding of the different movements and the rules of different game types. I still remember the UT tutorial where they dropped down a dummy that you had to gib with your impact hammer. Also it would be cool if they could have people do some hammer jumps on some crates. Stuff like that would help people know the ins and outs of the game.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by Moloko View Post
          All this devotion to ut99 needs to be put in context ,all those getting dewy eyed about it could be doing so more because it was revolutionary for its time, in other words because of their own initial "wow" back then, rather than it having what is needed for movement in a cutting edge game today. People are nostalgic for pac-man too, but I doubt any of today's devs are considering straight line only movement as a option.

          I am Not dewy eyed because it was revoutionary i had been playing Unreal both single player and co=op i am all dewy eyed *sniff sniff* cause the game UT was so dam much fun..there were times i laughed so hard it brought tears to my eyes some serious fun stuff...

          all you newcomers welcome to the biggest show on earth do yourselves a favor get UT play it and see that with much more powerfull weapons the movement was all you needed....get online and play some of the good UT players,it is a humbling experience yet i know you will have FUN at it...

          Comment


            #35
            UT99 is rather...easy. I like games that are hard to do. Where you have to put some effort into it. UT's overpowered weapons bore me. Obviously on this forum I am in the minority, but I want a challenge. A real challenge. UT99 is not the game for that. Sorry guys.

            Oh and Magwa, your text is almost impossible to read. Use some punctuation.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by =XM= View Post
              A special "tutorial" mode of the single player campaign would be solely for unlocking moves/weapons and would take only about 30-60 minutes for anyone with a clue, as well as an option for just changing an ini line to unlock it all. Anyone who knows what editing an ini is and can find the information online doesn't really need a tutorial, so it would be fine imo.

              If i were me, I would prevent online playing completely until everything is unlocked, but I know Epic won't do this.
              I think a tutorial is good idea. Not a mandatory one though. The INI edit resolves some of that, but it's kinda a cheap workaround. Better to do it through a menu at the beginning of the SP campaign: "Do you want to go through the tutorial?" like most games offer. You don't want to get in the way of people that want to jump into the action right away.

              That said, I really don't think it should be used to unlock things. At least, not game play relating things. Maps and vehicles and moves should all be available from the very beginning. Maybe skins as they've done in the past.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by The5thviruz View Post
                UT99 is rather...easy. I like games that are hard to do. Where you have to put some effort into it. UT's overpowered weapons bore me. Obviously on this forum I am in the minority, but I want a challenge. A real challenge. UT99 is not the game for that. Sorry guys.
                Like it's been said before, a multiplayer game can't be "easy" by itself, it can be just as easy/difficult as your opponet is bad/good, indepent from what movement options are available or are not. You want a challenge? Fight against someone who's as good as (or better) than you, now that's a challenge, regardless of game.
                Ok, if your term "easy" was meant to mean "easy to handle" it's a different topic, but you should know that only because a game is, in comparison to another one, easier to learn that doesn't have to mean that it's easier to master as well, sometimes exactly the opposite is true.

                I think I can still see where you're coming from, but let's face it: a game that requires lots of learning to master all sorts of complex capabilities before you can even think about standing a chance against others doesn't have a learning curve, it has a learning threshold, the actual curve starts after the threshold has been mastered. A threshold that will become an unclimbable wall for some beginners, as they don't even get a chance trying to learn the basics because they are constantly getting owned.
                Games like these turn out to have only a small amount of elitists playing them online, while the majority quits frustrated. Now imagine that you want to earn money by selling a game. Wouldn't you want to have your player base as large as possible instead of scaring the majority away? There you have the reason why game developers try to avoid creating games with learning thresholds, especially when it comes to FPS games.
                There are games out there that provide advanced complexity like you demand, but those fill out a niche that is usually not big enough to be worth the effort of creating a game that fits in it, as that game wouldn't sell very well with such a small target audience. I'd like to see another Tribes being made, but such a thing won't happen again, as gaming has become too much of a mass market nowadays and a highly specialized game like that has little to no mass appeal at all.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by Taleweaver View Post
                  Bitterman...you seem to think that learning to play is nothing more than knowing what you can and what you can't do. It doesn't work that way.
                  Of course all the moves and most of the tactics are simple. Even the biggest noob has no problem pressing a movement key twice, followed by a jump button.
                  The problem is that truly learning something involves a lot more than simply having read a strategy guide. Even the simplest tasks increase in difficulty if the timespan is short (and short timespans are a given in FPS). There are natural reflexes that have to be overcome and others that have to be learned (eg. it's a normal reflex to take a step away from danger...in a FPS, you have to step TO THE SIDE of the danger). Tasks aren't performed by themselves, but in a batch of many stringed together (for example, moving tricks would be a lot easier if you didn't have to avoid being shot at).
                  The reason I brought up a strategy guide is that afaik the manual doesnt explain all the moves. The rest like I said comes from playing.

                  I still see players on pubs not using jump dodges to get around faster.

                  All you have to do to know the right way to play is spec a good player. You'll see that they mainly use strafe and will normally only use the jump moves in combat when spam is headed their way.

                  What your talking about here applies to basically any fps.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by EntropicLqd View Post
                    There's a reason they are getting rid of Adrenaline combo's and the dodge-jumping. It's because they suck.
                    Pure poetry, that. Sort of like a haiku of smackdown truth.

                    The idea that super complexity of basic systems like movement will serve to "separate the wheat from the chaff" ignores the lessons of 2kX, where the steep learning curve alienated players in droves, harming the community as a whole. While it may have been fun for people able to master the nuances, most got fed up with the feel that everyone but them was untouchable in this game, and moved on.

                    It isn't a matter of skill to climb to the top of the heap when most of the heap stops playing and moves on. And, if the initial post were the way Epic thought about the matter, UT3 would be more of the same. Thank goodness they saw the light, and went back to the "funcentric" movement model.

                    Good enough for UT, good enough for me. If that makes me a noob after playing Unreal games for approaching ten years, then so be it.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by Doc Shock View Post
                      Like it's been said before, a multiplayer game can't be "easy" by itself, it can be just as easy/difficult as your opponet is bad/good, indepent from what movement options are available or are not. You want a challenge? Fight against someone who's as good as (or better) than you, now that's a challenge, regardless of game.
                      Ok, if your term "easy" was meant to mean "easy to handle" it's a different topic, but you should know that only because a game is, in comparison to another one, easier to learn that doesn't have to mean that it's easier to master as well, sometimes exactly the opposite is true.
                      I agree with this to a point but I'm sure it would be much easier for a noob to frag the best Cod player than the best UT2k4 player.

                      Cod is like UT with miniguns only and everyone has a damage amp the whole round.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by EntropicLqd View Post
                        UT is about sticking a large overpowered weapon in someones face and pulling the trigger. Not about mashing keys to hit move combo's. There's a reason they are getting rid of Adrenaline combo's and the dodge-jumping. It's because they suck.
                        I totally agree with you here. I am so glad those are gone from the game. I only wish double jumping was also going, but hey, I got most of what I want.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          I'll miss the dodge jump but if there's no dodge jump, what's the matter to keep the double jump? I mean... When you double jump, you are just a easy target to hit with sniper/shock.

                          But w/e they will change with this game, I'll play it and enjoying it for sure

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by Bitterman5 View Post
                            I agree with this to a point but I'm sure it would be much easier for a noob to frag the best Cod player than the best UT2k4 player.

                            Cod is like UT with miniguns only and everyone has a damage amp the whole round.
                            Well put hey, UT2k4 to me I do well but I still get flogged in clan servers or against good players in 1on1.

                            Get me in a COD2 FFA/TDM and I was in the top 5 out of 20 odd players, even the best of the best were in the top 5 and I never played the game more then a few hours at most. Ofcoarse there were people who knew the maps but the maps I knew from COD1 helped. Seriously I dont think Im bad at FPS, I just think 2k4 requires too much study and not enough play experience.

                            Kinda why I said what I did!

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by The5thviruz View Post
                              UT99 is rather...easy. I like games that are hard to do. Where you have to put some effort into it. UT's overpowered weapons bore me. Obviously on this forum I am in the minority, but I want a challenge. A real challenge. UT99 is not the game for that. Sorry guys.

                              Oh and Magwa, your text is almost impossible to read. Use some punctuation.
                              Nerfed weapons rule. Cuts down on the luck factor.

                              Getting a double kill with a jump dodge shock combo gives me a feeling UT never could.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
                                Well put hey, UT2k4 to me I do well but I still get flogged in clan servers or against good players in 1on1.

                                Get me in a COD2 FFA/TDM and I was in the top 5 out of 20 odd players, even the best of the best were in the top 5 and I never played the game more then a few hours at most. Ofcoarse there were people who knew the maps but the maps I knew from COD1 helped. Seriously I dont think Im bad at FPS, I just think 2k4 requires too much study and not enough play experience.

                                Kinda why I said what I did!
                                Like others have said, UT2k4 needed ingame tutorials as well as newbie servers. Right now its really bad for anyone trying UT2k4 for the first time. Everyone plays on the demo servers, many experienced players owning the straight line walking noobs. Theirs even a pro level player who comes in from time to time.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X