Linux support?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux support?

do we have any info on Linux support? Im wondering cause my ps3 can have linux on it and seeing as i dont want to upgrade-FX53amd64bit and 6800ultra OS and just a ps3 i was just going to use my ps3 and buy both versions if that was possible?----oh btw if anyne else has one my name is Stiobhan for psn add me. my xfire name is eomer216 i play 2k4 and others on my pc

There is no accelerated 3d graphics interface available for the video chip on the PS3. Framebuffer access only. Therefore running a linux version of UT3 on a PS3 would run poorly/not at all.

Comment

Better question, will there be Linux native support in general?? I was reading wikipedia on unreal 3 and saw they only reported that Epic said it will only run on PS3/XBox360/Windows.... No word for Mac or Linux.. Is Epic dropping support for Linux after over five years of producing their games for the Linux platform????

If so then looks like Quake Wars be the only game I be picking up for the 07 year...

Comment

All past Unreal games had Linux support so I'm quite sure UT3 will have too.

Comment

well i have Vista r1 so i wont be buying the retail version it uses up SO MUCH MEMORY it cuts most my framrates in half. so what is a good Linux to get. Im guessing once you get the hang of it all of them are pritty much the same. Yellow Dog being for ps3 but not Windows

Comment

Well my understanding is in the past many of Unreal's dedicated servers have run on linux, to loose this would definitely be a mistake on Epic's part.

Comment

I think Ryan Gordon is making a linux client but dont quote me , if there is no linux client then i wont buy....simple

Comment

I'm all for a Linux client and such, but to buy two different versions of a game to play it on a single hardware platform seems kinda deranged.

---

I hope there will be a Linux and Mac version of UT3. I would think that since there's going to be a PS3 version, and the PS3 uses OpenGL, that there's at least one major hurdle already covered (the renderer).

Having the UT2003/4 Linux installer in the same retail package as the Windows version was a big leap forward for multi-platform gaming. I'd be happy with just a Linux installer updated in a timely manner. But if they bail on non-Windows gamers, that will suck out loud in Dolby 7.1.

Comment

http://www.twit.tv/floss8

he mentions in that interview that hes working on the unreal 3 engine

Comment

Originally posted by Logy View Post
                    I'm all for a Linux client and such, but to buy two different versions of a game to play it on a single hardware platform seems kinda deranged.
                    In the past the Linux installer has been on the standard (windows) editions.

Comment

Linux

It's fairly easy to set-up UT on Linux, I'm running Ubuntu Edgy & testing Feisty (7.04) & it runs very well on both. I second that if there isn't a Linux installer on the DVD---I won't buy it. From what I see, 3 is due in June--anyone have more info?

Comment

even easier on gentoo , emerge ut2004 ........wait.......make tea....wait....done

Comment

Working...
                        X