Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Will be in UT3 matchmaking system?

for example similiar to matchmaking system in Warcraft 3 TFT
    i would really like it... u dont have to bother seraching opponent sooo long on irc... and some statistic to prevent playing low skilled players against high...

The UT stats database as it stands isn't a very good match making system.

Comment

i just hope that they have a party system so that you can play with friends in ranked cause thats where gears of war went terribly wrong and this can show that epic is indeed always living up to their hype.

Comment

Personally, I can't see what's wrong with the tried and tested method UT2004 uses, atleast for PC.
        (Server Browser and the other tabs).

~ Lakie

Comment

Originally posted by Lakie View Post
          Personally, I can't see what's wrong with the tried and tested method UT2004 uses, atleast for PC.
          (Server Browser and the other tabs).

~ Lakie
          Agreed. Who needs matchmaking anyway? Sounds kinda redundant.

Comment

Most people just find favorite dedicated servers and join pretty much just those. Matchmaking has a very limited appeal to PC Gamers.

Comment

I'd rather not have it. We've discussed rated servers before and something along those lines makes some sense - opt in.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirty Sh0tz View Post
                i just hope that they have a party system so that you can play with friends in ranked cause thats where gears of war went terribly wrong and this can show that epic is indeed always living up to their hype.
                Can you elaborate on this? How does Gears online work and what's its faults? I don't have a 360 so I don't know... btw I totally see Gears coming to PC, I can't imagine it won't given it's popularity and how much more similiar the PC is to 360 than the ps3.

Comment

Matchmaking does not really suit the UT enviroment so much because servers tend to be dedicated for the most part. This would eliminate the beaking you get about "host advantage" in UE based games (ranked mathces would likely end up with listen servers) do to no client side lag compensation. Course I guess the 360 players would end up playing with on dedicated servers with PC players that will end up destroying them do to inherit KB/mouse advantage over a game pad... Hmm, on one hand I'd like there to be players I will actually be better then. On the other hand I don't want to see players scared away from such a potentially great game

Comment

i agree i would not like it as it might try to put you in a server that you do not ping well to and that is of utmost importance where i live just to find a server you ping well too.. besides i am not going to beat anyone anyway..

Comment

On the PC, this isn't such a big deal as people can just search for a favorite server and get together. On the 360 or PS3, Epic must make a clan matchmaking service since there isn't a way to search for a particular server, making clan matches a bit more difficult.

Comment

Matchmaking just doesn't work for a fast paced actiongame like UT on PC. It might work for games like chess and stuff on PC, but certainly not UT.

Comment

In GoW you could add friends from matches and invite them to games from other games and meet people on xbox live and use current friends and invite into games.. the game took use of Xbox Live.. thats matchmaking to me..

Comment

Originally posted by Flukie Lukie View Post
                            In GoW you could add friends from matches and invite them to games from other games and meet people on xbox live and use current friends and invite into games.. the game took use of Xbox Live.. thats matchmaking to me..
                            I am fine with the Buddies as they were in UT2004 and IRC (pugs, clanchannels, etc..) and XFire and alike.
                            There are so many programs out there (and they are free) for PC that stuff like this is not necessarily needed for PC. But I think an improved/expanded Buddy tab wouldn't hurt.

Comment

Obviously nobody knows what's going to happen w/regard to this. matchmaking works nice for a 'party system' where a group of players is automatically kept together (not necessarily on the same team). Halo2 does this and while that's fine and all I prefer the 'server browser' format that UT has.

Gears is pretty much a mess with respect to matchmaking/multiplayer.

What I'm WAAY more concerned about is whether or not there will be support for dedicated servers with the 360 version (this may be a deal breaker).

There are no dedicated servers for GoW and the host has a pretty clear advantage (it's a listen server).

Comment

Working...
                              X