Shock horror

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
    Dont forget the hoverboards arnt under their own power...
    Actually, hoverboards are self-powered. Not sure if that's what you meant.

Comment

Originally posted by hal View Post
      Actually, hoverboards are self-powered. Not sure if that's what you meant.
      Nah its not, when being pulled they wouldnt be using their own power for forward momentum. They would would be pulled under the manta/viper's power so its up to that engine to take the extra drag/weight. Thats what I meant

Comment

Just some more hoverboard info in case you missed it.

Jeff Morris Q & A http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Sto...054.htm?Page=2

GI: Now that we’ve finally gotten our hands on it, the hoverboard is a really fun addition. How do you balance something like that, especially when you’re allowed to carry the flag with the hoverboard.

Morris: There are a lot of great things about the hoverboard. We’ve talked about mis-spawning, which happens in some games where—through no fault of your own—you spawn in an area where no action is going on, and all you have to look forward to is a two-minute walk to the fight. UT is a zero time to spectacle game, where when you spawn you need to be in the action. We felt that our sprint key, which is effectively what the hoverboard allows you to do, lets you get to the fight faster. So you can’t shoot. That’s one thing; your weapon arsenal is put away when you’re on the hoverboard. You take one point of damage and you go flying and you ragdoll out. Generally, it’s a nice balance between that speed boost, but you have to know whether or not you’re near any enemies when you whip it out.

It also let us deal with things like people being left behind by vehicle drivers. Let’s say it’s a multistation vehicle, and the guy takes off and leaves you there when you’re trying desperately to hook up with him. We were thinking about a wait button, where you’d go, “Wait! Wait! Wait Wait!” and that’s cool, but then it’s up to that guy’s good graces to know you’re talking to him, or maybe he’s just being a chump. What the tether [or grapple] in the hoverboard does is it allows you to get pulled behind other vehicles, and you can also mouse-wheel in and actually climb into the vehicle—whether he wants you to or not. It solved all these types of problems with vehicle-based gameplay and giant, wide-open maps. Now I hit q, which is the hoverboard button, in all first-person shooters just out of habit. If I want to get somewhere and hit q, I go, “**** it, there’s no hoverboard.” With the hoverboard, you can’t take any damage without eating it, and you see the great behavior of two people trucking toward each other on hoverboards and jump off and fight, and whoever wins jumps back on and takes off. That’s when we knew we had it.

Comment

Originally posted by Xyx View Post
          Some amount of physics simulation would enrich gameplay by enabling more cool tricks. Quick turns by grappling terrain, reeling in and out, slingshotting from turning vehicles...
          Yep, like in that Transformers mod which name escaped me right now. That was cool.

Comment

[edit] redundant post.

Comment

Towing vehicles would only notice a small shock when the line is first pulled tout, and perhaps a minor loss of turning abilities.
              I'm not so sure about that since it looks like the grapple is a type of energy beam. So it's quite possible it could stretch to reduce any shock to a bare minimum

Comment

True, dat.

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
                like in that Transformers mod which name escaped me right now. That was cool.
                COR (Counter Organic Revolution). Awesome piece of work.

Comment

COR (Counter Organic Revolution). Awesome piece of work.
                  **** right, too bad the mod team got offered various jobs and can't work on it

Comment

Working...
                  X