Stinger Idea

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hal View Post
    I am curious why though. Was it tested both ways and it just ended up being better the way it is now?
    I know we wanted to do the stinger instead of the mini because it allowed us to do more things with the function of the weapon. It's harder to justify sticking somebody to a wall with a bullet than a shard of rock. It also just happens to fit into the fiction of the weapon and ammo as well.

Comment

Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=- View Post
      The primary rapid fire is hit scan. The slower alternate fire that pins people to the wall is a projectile.
      Is it your new favorite weapon yet?

Comment

Originally posted by -=¤willhaven¤=- View Post
        I know we wanted to do the stinger instead of the mini because it allowed us to do more things with the function of the weapon. It's harder to justify sticking somebody to a wall with a bullet than a shard of rock. It also just happens to fit into the fiction of the weapon and ammo as well.
        Oh no, I meant:

Did you guys try the Stinger with projectile primary and secondary or was it always hitscan primary/projectile secondary? I ask because iirc the Unreal Stinger was projectile and thought the idea of having one in 'Tournament was interesting.

Comment

We never tried it as a projectile primary in UT3. As far as I know, the rate of fire that we wanted would make that many projectiles bad for network performance.

I believe the rate of fire on the Unreal stinger was fairly low, so having it as a projectile probably wasn't too bad.

Comment

Thanks for clearing that up. I guess being all projectile would make it somewhat redundant with the Link primary fire too.

Comment

Originally posted by hal View Post
              My mistake then.
              Ok, who should I sue then?

Hal for getting my hopes up, that we will have a fixed weapon, just to get disappointed.

EPIC for not fixing the Stinger/Mini completely. Usually you can return broken stuff to the store and ask for a working one.

EDIT:
              just kidding, of course.

Comment

As far as I know its hitscan prim and projectile alt in UC2 as well but its got the whole sentient shard thingo happenin.

To me though the alt sounds like its more useful up close then the prim because you really want to push someone back out of fire range then hammer them full of holes. Well thats the way Id go, dunno about other players. I guess it depends on situation as well but it would be a good alternative to using shock to knock people back at closer ranges.

Comment

thanks willhaven. I hope the Stinger and the nail effect will rock

Comment

Originally posted by Kronos View Post
                    Very sad to hear

The stinger has never been a hitscan weapon, why all of a sudden change it to one.
                    Replication issues
                    Assuming the Stinger has a similar firerate to the Minigun on Primary, that's a lot of projectile tracking for the server to translate to other clients

The Unreal Stinger didn't have a very high firerate, so replication wasn't as much as an issue then

Comment

Working...
                    X