2 small admin requests for UT3.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by =XM= View Post
    (1) Take a look at ONSplus (also from the Titan guys)

(2) A team balancer for pubs that uses the pph of players (keeps track of pph through disconnects/reconnects spectating/rejoining) from the previous map to spread them out in the next map.
    Strongly seconded on both points.

Other than that, I've got nothing to add...

Comment

(1) (2) A team balancer for pubs
      Shambler's TTFix mutator works with ONSPlus and also stand-alone

On the swear-filtering you have the option of ONSPlus for ONS servers or Serverext for any gametype. Serverext chat & player join logging makes it easy to check it after the game to check the context and remove the pottymouths if that's what you want.

Originally posted by Molgan View Post
      The TitanAdmin mut, with Web admin functionality like kick/ban/session ban/Mute/Switch/Personal messages etc, has a lot of great features that should be in from the beginning and expanded.
      Thanks! I've seen it in use on a number of servers now - nice to see it's useful

I've had an email in various draft forms for about a month now which I was planning to send to Epic asking for the UScript hook points in UT2007 to build this sort of thing in a much more graceful way than is possible in UT2004 (voip mute for example is not possible using pure serverside code):

I got this far after many drafts - but it still doesn't sound right:

One of the things which has helped the Titan servers to be some of the most friendly servers in Europe is the custom player management code we have running alongside UTAN and Serverext on the server.

This note is to ask whether you would consider ensuring that there are places in UT2007 where such things can be implemented without resorting to nasty hacks or core class overrides.

The UT2004 BroadcastHandler's RegisterBroadcastHandler() class was perfect for such things, and HandlerAllowsBroadcast() meant that admins could create custom chat management code and use more than one at a time.

Please could you leave in similar functionality around other areas where player management is an issue: player join/leave, name changing, voip use, admin action - so we can add in monitor, player logging and control functionality as required?

The places we have found that we would like to to be able to add custom admin code in a consistent way are:

* On Player connect to server and before joining the game - to allow server/gisp specific player check code & logging on external server
      * On Player leave server for logging purposes
      * On Player name change for logging and player management (name check and targetted name fix)
      * On player text chat chat for logging and player management (mute/filtering)
      * On player VOIP use for player magaement - targetted mute (not possible in UT2004 without playercontroller override)
      * On admin action: kick, ban, session ban, mute, voip mute, name fix, force name change, etc to allow custom logging and admin management

Much of this we have been able to do in UT2004 - but not cleanly. Not all of it is possible in UT2004 in a way which will work across all gametypes.

We log all GUIDs, IPs, player names used, and times of server useage in real time to a webserver, which passes back player information to be available to the admins and to manage chat mutes and player name restrictions across all the servers we run. This is a little like a local UTAN system - but contolling player names, player chat ability and alias busting which helps the admins ingame.

Comment

(1) Take a look at ONSplus (also from the Titan guys)

(2) A team balancer for pubs that uses the pph of players (keeps track of pph through disconnects/reconnects spectating/rejoining) from the previous map to spread them out in the next map.
        This seems very clever and very helpful to me. When I am playing on SCK's pub server for ONS, it drives me insane when the teams get so imbalanced that the fun is driven out. Dynamic back and forth team gameplay is so much fun. One sided slaughters are for n00bs or those with fragile egos.

Unless it's in competition. Then may the best team win, any way it can.

Comment

Originally posted by fuegerstef View Post
          I have 2 small requests for features for the UT3 server. They are available in 3rd party muts, but I'd like to have them in the retail version too.

- Autokick poeple with a (configurable) negative score (leave blank or null if you don't want it). It will kick off the mass suiciders that want to see the nice ragdolls or gibs, but refurse to do it offline and keep screwing games.

- Seperate idlekick times for players and spectators. The few servers I play on, have the idlekick time very low (20 or 30 seconds). Which is good. because people shall play there, not idle. But for spectators it should be higher.

Do you have some wishes for the server stuff (xcept anticheat)???

I dont like that idea of negative kicks.in assault racing your gonna fall of the edge by a hellbenders twin cannon.I sisagree against that suicide kick thing but i agree on the idler thing.

Comment

Originally posted by 80gone View Post
            I dont like that idea of negative kicks.in assault racing your gonna fall of the edge by a hellbenders twin cannon.I sisagree against that suicide kick thing...
            I doubt that an Assault race maps server will have it enabled then.

Comment

Originally posted by Evil Homer View Post
              1. Mute those idiots who spam the VOIP with music playing... I would like to see a dot by the person name using VOIP then be able to kick them.
              Esc --> game menu --> right-click on their name --> ban from voice chat...

Originally posted by Piglet View Post
              Shambler's TTFix mutator works with ONSPlus and also stand-alone
              Interesting, you have a link for it? Maybe including the source code?
              Also does it run on the T32 ONS servers, I hop on either for a laugh or for checking what maps you are making from time to time, and the teams are very often one-sided and require players to try to switch themselves. What criteria does the mut use to spread players around?

Comment

Not that i have any suggestions as to how to solve this problem, but concerning idlers...

Occasionally typing or reading F2 takes a little longer than 10/20s. Possibly somehow don't start timing till no keys are pressed for a couple of seconds?

Small thing, but it's happened.

Comment

Interesting, you have a link for it? Maybe including the source code?
                  Also does it run on the T32 ONS servers, I hop on either for a laugh or for checking what maps you are making from time to time, and the teams are very often one-sided and require players to try to switch themselves. What criteria does the mut use to spread players around?
                  Hmmm - give Shambler a shout http://ut2004.titaninternet.co.uk/fo...do=newpm&u=259 - he'll know the link to the latest version.

In ONS it notifies of imbalance and then waits for a few seconds to do the switch in case someone wants to switch, in TAM and Freon it does it at the end of a round so nobody needs sit out longer than necessary. It's all configurable.

Comment

I really hope Epic reads this thread carefully, so many useful suggestions were made, they just have to implement most of them as they all make perfect sense.

And to those who said "wait until you played the demo before suggesting things": The sooner such things are asked for, the higher the chances are that Epic will find the time to implement them. When everything is close to final, such changes would require more effort to pull of, so I think it's better to suggest things like these early.
                    "Wait for the demo" is a very wise sentence in many cases, i.e. when people start discussing features and stats which aren't set in stone and won't be for a long time. But when it comes to suggestions for important additional features, you just can't ask too early, because it gives Epic more time to consider them. Of course it may very well be possible that a few of the suggested things are already in the game, but if we wait for the demo to see which ones are, it will be too late for implementing others that are not.

Comment

Agreed.

I'm not asking for all the admin bells and whistles to be written by Epic.

I personally think that it would be far better for Epic to provide basic admin tools and put the framework in place in the code for the community to extend them. It should be very easy for Epic to put in a "register handler class" and the call of the handler classes at each of the points admin action is made or required to allow the graceful addition of custom administration code.

Comment

Working...
                      X