PS3/360 Mouse+keyboard support please!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3/360 Mouse+keyboard support please!

Unreal Tournament for the Playstation 2 supported keyboard and mouse. I hope Epic keeps keyboard and mouse support for the PS3 version of this game, as well.

Usually I'd just pick up this game for the PC and be happy there. But I want to abandon my PC as a game platform due to the limited number of games that come out for it. Simply put, it's hard for me to justify $200-400 upgrades to my computer for the sake of one or two games per year.

I have a PS3 and X360, and both of them are hooked up to the same HDTV I have my PC hooked up to. So my keyboard and mouse are already here, ready to go, ready to be hooked up to consoles

Yeah, i agree, if we can fight (on xb360 or ps3) online against pc gamers, it will be great to fight with the same abitlity, mouse and keyboard are a lot much precise.

Comment

But this then takes the point out of consoles... Consoles are suposed to be for the casual gamer, and if you give pc gamers who have just moved to console the advantage of m&kb the casual gamer will eventualy get bored of getting head shotted from across the map, over and over again, so ultimately they will just stop playing.

Comment

ez_jamin, my thoughts exactly. That's why I'm all against cross-platform-play. I'll buy the PC version and want to win because I was better than my opponent, not because I had the better equipment. And I bet consoleros wouldn't be happy about constant loosing to M&K user as well, so it would be better to focus on one input device and separate servers per platform.

Comment

Originally posted by ez_jamin View Post
          But this then takes the point out of consoles... Consoles are suposed to be for the casual gamer
          That's your opinion. I think that the very existence of keyboard/mouse for consoles is a very good argument that this doesn't have to be true.

Originally posted by ez_jamin
          and if you give pc gamers who have just moved to console the advantage of m&kb the casual gamer will eventualy get bored of getting head shotted from across the map, over and over again, so ultimately they will just stop playing.
          It's true that the keypad users have a strong disadvantage over the others. But it's not a new conflict: the kind of modem, the stability of your connection, the accuracy of the mouse and the framerates you usually have differ from PC to PC, yet this rarely leads to people not playing. Why would console owners refuse to upgrade if the game really needs it (and let's be honest: it is needed here)?

Comment

I thought this game was meant to have player matching? Could that possibly mean that you could "choose" whether you wanted to play against people who use keyboard and mouse or not.

I can just see alot of people adopting the mouse to indeed pickup a few extra frags, is it really worth that much to you that you would buy a whole new input device when you can do well on a gamepad?

Another thing to consider is team gametypes where people could be using either setup so why not have the game shuffle the teams to make the number of keyboard and gamepad player are equal on each team.

I have to agree with alot of the people here, alot of people were like w00t 360 then the first thing is "does it support keyboard and mouse?" this is what a PC is for, sure a console could and can use them but why not just get the PC version instead? Mind you its the same issue of peoples hardware giving them an advantage online, just like it was said about dsl modems. Ping in my opinion makes a much bigger difference then the difference between mouse and gamepad. See I could have the best mouse in the world vs the most shoddiest gamepad, if I got a **** ping theres no way I got an advantage.

The worst thing I could see happening to UT3 is that aim-bot... er. I mean Autoaim gets implemented for gamepad users to help them play. This will make mouse players just sit from the distance and snipe to stay out of autoaim range!

Comment

Originally posted by MonsOlympus View Post
              I thought this game was meant to have player matching? Could that possibly mean that you could "choose" whether you wanted to play against people who use keyboard and mouse or not.

I can just see alot of people adopting the mouse to indeed pickup a few extra frags, is it really worth that much to you that you would buy a whole new input device when you can do well on a gamepad?

Another thing to consider is team gametypes where people could be using either setup so why not have the game shuffle the teams to make the number of keyboard and gamepad player are equal on each team.

I have to agree with alot of the people here, alot of people were like w00t 360 then the first thing is "does it support keyboard and mouse?" this is what a PC is for, sure a console could and can use them but why not just get the PC version instead? Mind you its the same issue of peoples hardware giving them an advantage online, just like it was said about dsl modems. Ping in my opinion makes a much bigger difference then the difference between mouse and gamepad. See I could have the best mouse in the world vs the most shoddiest gamepad, if I got a **** ping theres no way I got an advantage.

The worst thing I could see happening to UT3 is that aim-bot... er. I mean Autoaim gets implemented for gamepad users to help them play. This will make mouse players just sit from the distance and snipe to stay out of autoaim range!
              If aim-bot...... I mean auto-aim is implemented, won't it be easy for crackers to make a aim-bot/auto-aim hack for PC thats easy to bypass the checking system? Anyway, I don't think Epic didn't thought of this and I trust they have a very good solution for these problems.

Comment

Mons you are on a posting spree! I agree ping is first and foremost important. I can't see any aim-help being given to the consoles - live and die by the sword, or your input device. I foresee m&kb support on both consoles and loading screen "tips" (ala K4) for those consoles letting them know that they can plug in a usb kb&m.

I really don't see any "console-only" servers because having just watched an interview on gamespot, the vice-president or someone "big" was saying the problem he saw with cross-platform releases is that it widdles the player pool down significantly which is something they don't want. Hence, I don't see any fractioning of the player pool coming at all. I can however see it being an option for hosting games on the console to only allow other consoles to play. But I don't see any dedicated servers being run by Epic for only one platform. Console gamers will probably have to use their own pc's as dedicated servers with some sort of option for consoles only if that's what they want.

Comment

Originally posted by Hanji View Post
                  If aim-bot...... I mean auto-aim is implemented, won't it be easy for crackers to make a aim-bot/auto-aim hack for PC thats easy to bypass the checking system?
                  Not easier than now. Because auto-aim is in UT2004 too: Settings -> Game -> Autoaim.

Comment

Ranking system will eventually separate the good people so the gamepad people that are good at it and the really good m/k will move one. and if they are posting on this forum they already have a M/k they wouldnt need to go buy one. Cross platform play would make this game the biggest thing since quake 3. Console gamers (like halo) could become competive and really make the life span of this game just as big as quak 3 or CS1.6

Comment

IIRC the Games For Windows standard means that a game "that support controllers are also compatible with the Microsoft XBOX 360 controller for Windows" which means the Auto-aim feature would possibly be an option for those controllers online.

We might see two types of servers. Controller servers and Keyboard/Mouse servers.

Comment

a good game needs to support an input-device that is the most userfriendly.
                        Controllers are definitely not 'userfriendly' when it comes to playing fps-type games.
                        IMHO the only reason it works in a game like Gears of War is because you are forced to hide.

Comment

Someone in another tread stated that consoles are for 'the casual gamer' GOD i hate that term. Putting people in boxes... It's pointless. KB/M support for the consoles is just a killer idea, end of story.

Comment

Originally posted by JaFO View Post
                            a good game needs to support an input-device that is the most userfriendly.
                            Controllers are definitely not 'userfriendly' when it comes to playing fps-type games.
                            IMHO the only reason it works in a game like Gears of War is because you are forced to hide.

JaFO
                            With XFPS and other devices sure to come, controller players will get flat out pwned! Microsoft and Epic need to get keyboard and mouse enabled now!

PS3 already supports it and somewhere, sometime a very smart developer is going to enable it's use in game. It appears as though Mark Rein and company have chosen to ignore the envitable here!

If your going to put everybody on the same servers why wouldn't you want to level the playing field, and create less complications for everybody? Plus what about forcing console players to buy two versions of the game to edit and create mods. Especially when PS3 already supports these features for the future, where X360 players will be left behind!

This is a sample of what can be done on Epic Unreal Engine 3 games alone. Search and you'll see many of these on YouTube!
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfAJv4T2ZGk&NR

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UNFUJFK9EDo

Comment

Rein and Company Out to Rape Console Players!

Originally posted by GNRM of WAR View Post
                              Someone in another tread stated that consoles are for 'the casual gamer' GOD i hate that term. Putting people in boxes... It's pointless. KB/M support for the consoles is just a killer idea, end of story.
                              Amazing how a little money can control what people are allowed to do with the hardware they purchase.

And I've just spent almost $1200 dollars on PS3 stuff. Over $200 on Blue Tooth keyboard and mouse setup for that PS3! Which I thought from what was said before that Epic could be trusted to follow with the hardware and software support Sony provided for us on the PS3!

Now Epic has lost my vote of confidence! Sure other games on PS3 will support these features, but I will boycott Epic Unreal Engine 3 games if this pans out.

If they are this Greedy, then this is sure to hurt them in the long run!

Comment

Working...
                              X