Photorealistic or cartoony UT3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Photorealistic or cartoony UT3?

Just seen the crysis demo first hand, oh dear, reckon we'll see anything as good in terms of photo realistic outdoor environment graphics in UT? Ok,with games it isn't all about graphics, but it's as though the whole PC gaming world has moved on while people have fiddled with new concepts and ideas. Who'd be a game developer , cartoony ain't gonna cut it.

Have you see any of the released media for UT2007, at all? I don't think UT2007 will look "cartoony" but it isn't near photorealistic either. And for that matter, as nice as the CryTek engine looks, it too isn't photorealistic quality yet, although it does look great. The processing power for in-game photo realistic rendering just isn't available at this time, especially for a fast-paced game such as UT. For one thing, even though you can find screenshots that appear to be photorealistic, those are generally either still renders from the engine or taken from a very high-end development machine. Most PC owners do not have systems capable of rendering that type of quality as a consistent and playable frame rate.

Comment

TBH, I'd like a nice balance between the two. Like UT2004 - it contains "fun" elements and mixes it with realism.

Comment

I don't want just photo realism, I wan't immersive, bigger then life unreal coolness. In colour preferably. =)

Comment

People all consider processor power for photorealism.

Don't forget, someone's gonna need to make the photoreal assets to import in... and I've seen like one photoreal character to date (the dude with the chainmail) -- and that was in like PRMan.

Comment

If we're talking about this strictly in a sense of "do the characters look convincing, or do they look like something from nickelodeon" then I'll take realistic.. in fact, in ANY sense I will take a realistic UT over a cartoony UT any day.. any time.. anywhere.

Comment

UT was never meant to be photo realistic.

Comment

Artistic >> attemted Photorealism.

Comment

Originally posted by Crotale View Post
                  Have you see any of the released media for UT2007, at all? I don't think UT2007 will look "cartoony" but it isn't near photorealistic either. And for that matter, as nice as the CryTek engine looks, it too isn't photorealistic quality yet, although it does look great. The processing power for in-game photo realistic rendering just isn't available at this time, especially for a fast-paced game such as UT. For one thing, even though you can find screenshots that appear to be photorealistic, those are generally either still renders from the engine or taken from a very high-end development machine. Most PC owners do not have systems capable of rendering that type of quality as a consistent and playable frame rate.
                  The photorealism of a shot is determined almost entirely by its pixel shaders, which have become extremely powerful recently. Therefore it is rather safe to say that such quality visuals are entirely possible on an N80 at a good framerate. I've developed pixel shaders myself, so I know a bit about this.

Comment

Originally posted by RealmRPGer View Post
                    The photorealism of a shot is determined almost entirely by its pixel shaders, which have become extremely powerful recently. Therefore it is rather safe to say that such quality visuals are entirely possible on an N80 at a good framerate. I've developed pixel shaders myself, so I know a bit about this.
                    Recently being the operative word. And, how many gamers can afford an N80? Not too many right now. Therefore, most game developers design their games, including Unreal Engine powered games, to scale back the graphics to accommodate better framerates.

Sure, many game engines are capable of very near photorealistic graphics quality, but the average consumer equipment can't handle the throughput.

Comment

Until we see a high level of raytracing in games, we wont ever see things that will totally be photorealistic.

Comment

I still challenge people to find 3 closeups of human renders in fairly bright scenes which look photoreal. Yes, this includes ones made with non-realtime renderers.

I've seen just but one I could say would pass off for photoreal. (Again, this doesn't count for like -- cars and stuff)

Comment

Well, I was assuming we were talking about what was commercially available. And by the time of the release of these games, N80 will be at least well into its life-cycle and so be rather affordable.

Originally posted by Phopojijo View Post
                          I still challenge people to find 3 closeups of human renders in fairly bright scenes which look photoreal. Yes, this includes ones made with non-realtime renderers.

I've seen just but one I could say would pass off for photoreal. (Again, this doesn't count for like -- cars and stuff)
                          http://features.cgsociety.org/galler...7804_large.jpg
                          http://www.cgnetworks.com/gallerycri...1110764412.jpg
                          http://features.cgsociety.org/galler...0360_large.jpg

Comment

those look so real but I can still tell that they arn't real.

there is something missing, I guess they don't feel right.

I think that we need to keep things realistic in order to contrast the unrealistic aspects of them. also by keeping them realistic the individual artists can allow their own representations withough destroying the continutity of a video game. if the artist were impressionistic then they would vary so greatly things would be confusing. its also what (most) americans want.

If they wanted to sell Unreal Tournament 2007 in japan, I would suggest they cell shade it. They should probably also rework certain elements to appeal to the japanese audience more.

oh and if they were to sell it in china, add communist undertones. Place the teams on more of an angle of a tounament with large corporations to represent the west opposing the governments team.

If you want to sell the game in germany, change all the charictars into stuffed animals. Instead of guns have magic wands that shoot sparkles or other sparkle-shooting devices to make the other players 'go home and wash the sprinkles out'. you will also need to change the vehicals to unicorns, or nice looking pink-dragons, or butterflies. After each match make sure the charictars express the fact they were sorry they couldn't be freinds. (and watch how the USK rates it 'Freigegeben ab 16 Jahren gemäß' due to its competive aspects, exessive magic-sparkels, and 'depicions of cuteness in violent situations')

Comment

I like how your post went from serious to a complete joke.

Comment

Working...
                              X