PS3 or PC Version?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS3 or PC Version?

Well I'm a PS fanboy So I'm getting it for the PS3. Is it true that the online multiplayer will be combined with the PC?
    Don't give me any of this PC is better because it can have mods and custom maps ****. All I know is that you can download mods and maps that are on the PC for UT 2k7 on the PS3.
    The only thing that is going to bother me is the aiming on the console. Since I've played UT since UT99, I'm not going to be used to aiming on the PS3.
    What version are you going to get?

Originally posted by Dymlos2003 View Post
    All I know is that you can download mods and maps that are on the PC for UT 2k7 on the PS3.
    Sorry to burst your bubble, but I REALLY doubt that'll happen :/

First, where exactly would PS3 users download these mods? If Sony was the one to distribute these mods, wouldn't they need permission from the mod authors and original content authors in order to do so? Without their explicit consent, they couldn't take other peoples' work and put it on a commercial online content distribution service.

Second, Tim Sweeney has already said the game on PC and PS3 may end up differing slightly (though all we know at this point is the UI is completely different)..which, could end up making mods completely incompatible anyways. So even if the PC community COULD supply mods to the PS3 community, they wouldn't be compatible.

Oh, and game differences would also presumably make the games incompatible online. I'd feel sorry playing against PS3 players using controllers, anyways .

Comment

The Windows and the Mac one.

Comment

Originally posted by Velocitas View Post

First, where exactly would PS3 users download these mods? If Sony was the one to distribute these mods, wouldn't they need permission from the mod authors and original content authors in order to do so? Without their explicit consent, they couldn't take other peoples' work and put it on a commercial online content distribution service.
        The PS3 is pretty much a computer... You just download the content from the internet. I don't remember where but I remember someone from Epic said the PS3 will be able to download mods and maps. Just a wish.

Comment

PC only consoles Pfffft!

Comment

The PS3 is pretty much a computer... You just download the content from the internet. I don't remember where but I remember someone from Epic said the PS3 will be able to download mods and maps. Just a wish.
            Yeah, I've read the interview to which you're refering.

I just don't see PC user-made content being distributed and being compatible with the PS3 version. I'm sure it'll get official maps and content though..

You certainly won't be able to download PC mods as-is and run them on your PS3 though. Too much involved there. Many come in zip format and must be extracted to specific directories. Does the PS3 have a utility to unzip files? Will there be pre-set directories in which to extract the mod files to? I just don't think the platform has the infrastructure in place to support user-made PC mods. Especially for the typical casual PS3 player.

Comment

I rather enjoy consoles better. Because it is a lot more fun to play games with friends on consoles than computers. And since consoles are pretty much becoming computers themselves I'm only using my PC for chating and movie editing.

Comment

If a server has a mod or custom maps I am sure they will be pushable to PS3 as well as PC, if they do the cross-compatibility thing, which I would venture to say is a 50/50 thing at this point. I believe they have said they would like to, but it is neither confirmed or denied at this point.

Personally I am sort of for the idea.

Comment

PC all the way. I rather play using a mouse and KB.

Also a Xbox 360 version isn't out of the picture...

Comment

Yeah me too. It would be challenging playing againist people on the PC. I think it would be fun.

Comment

Don't give me any of this PC is better because it can have mods and custom maps ****.
                      No. My PC is just better than the PS3.

And, I like to see you create custom mods and maps with the PS3. So-called miniature PC.

Besides, who cares what platform it runs on? They could release it for the Xbox and the Nintendo for all I care.

Either you want a console or PC version, but its stupid to argue which is better. Besides, frame rates are locked on game consoles and that's the reason they look smooth because the console maintains a steady (but low) frame rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bersy View Post
                        If a server has a mod or custom maps I am sure they will be pushable to PS3 as well as PC, if they do the cross-compatibility thing, which I would venture to say is a 50/50 thing at this point. I believe they have said they would like to, but it is neither confirmed or denied at this point.

Personally I am sort of for the idea.
                        I didn't think about Server --> Client content transfer..I could see that working for distributing content to the PS3. Like you said though, it remains to be seen if cross-platform play will even happen. I have my money on 'no,' as I don't think it would be fair unless every PS3 player had a USB KB/M (which is still not confirmed to work with UT2007 PS3.) Like I said before, the games might also differ slightly in terms of gameplay..so that would make them incompatible and incapable of cross-platform play anyways.

Comment

http://www.theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=25858

SONY OFFICIALLY revealed many details about upcoming Playstation 3 hardware.

We learned that despite having up to seven Bluetooth 2.0 compliant controllers, and six USB slots, and you will also be able to plug in a keyboard and a mouse. The company representative added that you will be able to play games such as Unreal Tournament 2007 with the keyboard and the mouse.
                          Well - maybe then...if custom content can be got too....

Depends on the price for upgrading the PC and the need to do so.

Comment

If the game systems started using a KB and mouse I can see myself using a console much more for FPS gaming then ever before.

Comment

As far as "differences" between the 2 versions I believe the only thing they are doing is tweaking the control system to work well with a PS3 controller. I doubt there would be anything that would break network compatibility, unless they can't accomplish this the way they want.

Comment

Working...
                              X