Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Regarding this 10-second before vehicle re-entry idear.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Regarding this 10-second before vehicle re-entry idear.....

It doesn't sound like such a great idea to me.... yet.

First off, there's the logic factor --is there a credible explanation for why a player can't re-enter a vehicle for 10 seconds after bailing from it?

Secondly (and more importantly) is the gameplay factor --at a certain level this idea sounds like it may cripple some vital and very very fun spontaneity.

Forum snarkiness aside, I'm a pretty good ONS player who enjoys both public and highly competitive games. My preferred vehicle is the Manta, and I've earned some decent "deathmatch legs". I've always enjoyed Manterrorizing my way through a map, then bailing when forced out and continuing things on foot, often jumping back into the intact manta that has just avoided an AVRIL lock. Not to mention that racing an opponent to said manta can be helluva fun

If this stated idea is implemented the way I fear it might, it looks like I'll be staying in that Manta until death takes me far more frequently..... 'cause especially if I'm playing against skilled opponents on maps with few resources, the LAST thing I want to happen is to give them 10 seconds to jack an extremely valuable vehicle. Which sucks, 'cos I'll probably be playing a lot less riskier and will miss out on plenty of exciting on-foot action... the end result of which would make me a sad, sad panda

I have mucho faith in Epic...... just trying to help make sure they've thought through (and tested) this idea thoroughly. Even if you really like it, 10 seconds is a looooong time in the Unreal universe. Thanks!

"We’re not talking about it too much because things may change, but for example, we have ways of forcing the pilot’s ejection from a vehicle, and you can’t get back into the vehicle for 10 seconds, so for those 10 seconds, the on-foot guy has the drop on you and you’re gonna have to earn your deathmatch legs before you get back into your vehicle."

Read that again. They don't say there will be a lockout if you bail.
    It says there will be ways to FORCE a player out of a vehicle and lock him out for 10 secs.

Sounds like they are experimenting with some new weapon or something simmilar.
    (EMP grenades? )

Comment

Originally posted by Datafreak View Post
      [I]"

Read that again. They don't say there will be a lockout if you bail.
      It says there will be ways to FORCE a player out of a vehicle and lock him out for 10 secs.

Sounds like they are experimenting with some new weapon or something simmilar.
      (EMP grenades? )
      Would that really suck though? It would kind of defeat the whole point of vehicular combat if someone could just throw you out. lol

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Shagwell View Post
        Would that really suck though? It would kind of defeat the whole point of vehicular combat if someone could just throw you out. lol
        no one said that it would be easy ... e.g. you have to link the vehicle with link 2ndary for 10 seconds

Comment

Originally posted by Lee_Shagwell View Post
          Well then you should probably avoid getting hit by such weapons

Comment

Originally posted by Bishop Gantry View Post
            Well then you should probably avoid getting hit by such weapons
            I just dont think its needed, i mean human to vehicle combat in ut2k4 was perfectly balanced without this weapon. obviously vehicles are supposed to have a little edge over humans, they are vehicles!

Comment

Originally posted by Nietzsche View Post
              no one said that it would be easy ... e.g. you have to link the vehicle with link 2ndary for 10 seconds
              I wonder... The link secondary creates negative momentum, will a player linking a vehicle cause negative momentum to the vehicle, or will the player linking the vehicle be pulled along -- basically skiing on air with your hoverboard. The vehicles better have good brakes so those linking on hoverboards end up bug squashed on the tailgate.

BTW: Would be interesting if a teammate could link to your manta and then catapult them forward with a fast 90 degree turn, or link to a raptor for a quick lift. Your whole team could link together and use the raptor as a transport ship

Comment

To me it sounds like a good feature for single player matches. I always got frustrated when playing the Robot Factory Assault map in the single player tournament because the bots would hog the ion cannon. If I had a way to forcefully eject the bots from a vehicle with a voice command that actually worked, then I could have some fun.

Comment

Wasn't it that in the UT2k7 movie where he ejects from the scorpion and shoots it that he was in mid air for at least 5-7 seconds anyway - perhaps the 10s is to give you a chance to destroy your vehicle to complete some objective or something, but an enemy can come along while your in mid air and drive off your vehicle thus preventing you accomplishing whatever task was at hand. Just a thought.

Comment

If the vehicle is locked for 10 seconds does that mean it can't be destroyed by either side for 10s or just by the side that has jumped out. People often jump out to heal with the link gun obviously this won't be possible if it changes to the other teams vehicle

Comment

IN my opinion it sucks cause i usally stop infront of a node jump out touch it or whatever jump back into the fast vehicle and go to the next power node.And why anyway would a vehicle lock itself for 10 sec then open.I would rathe take the Rocket Launcher blow a hole through the vehicle and enter at will

Comment

They did mention being forced to bail out rather than wanting to, I guess this means getting out while subject to missile lock on only.

Comment

No i don't think there is anything of that sort for missle lock otherwise having the AVRiL.

Comment

Please don’t make too much of this. While I won’t talk specifics since it’s very much in development, I will say that we are being careful to make sure it’s not overpowered and that it doesn’t suck.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Wilcox View Post
                              Please don’t make too much of this. While I won’t talk specifics since it’s very much in development, I will say that we are being careful to make sure it’s not overpowered and that it doesn’t suck.
                              Good to see that you guys are at least leveling all powers of the weapons that we are able to use however. Something that seemed rather weird in UT2004.

Comment

Working...
                              X