Teh Redeemer - Ideas, ideas, ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Teh Redeemer - Ideas, ideas, ideas

We've already got some info on three of the four most Unreal™ weapons, namely the shock rifle, flak cannon and rocket launcher. The weapon we know nothing about yet, is the Redeemer. Will it not return, or are they developing the most intimidating weapon of the Unreal series in a secret dark room underneath the EpicGames Dev Center?

I want your thoughts about what the weapon should be/in what way it should be changed!

What I reckon: when it explode, the explosion should make a mushroom out of itself, and should leave a short-lasting field of radiation. It's a nuke after all.

I wouldn't mind if it was removed alltogether, along with every other "superweapon".

Comment

There's no real need for it...

Comment

There is when you go to get their flag and there's a tank, two hellbenders, a raptor and a scorpion parked on it.

Comment

And on CTF, When people leave a Translocator in your base frequently, 1 redeemer sorts that problem out!

Comment

Originally posted by Flak
            There is when you go to get their flag and there's a tank, two hellbenders, a raptor and a scorpion parked on it.
            My thoughts exactly, superweapons have a place in the Unreal universe, I'm just not looking forward to sorting through hundreds of servers running "DM-TEHReDeEMARW@R$2k7" and the like . As far as the redeemer goes I'd like to see a mushroom cloud or some kind of awe inspiring effect, maybe have all player views shake momentarily. I would also like to see killed opponants being gibbed some of the time and skeletonized some of the time (think 2004 secondary link death effect) with bodies, vehicle parts, weapons and other debris flying in all directions. Good times

Comment

It should be force disabled in CTF and Warfare/ONS. Like quad jump, instagib and lowgrav disabled in UT2004 ONS/AS

Comment

Originally posted by Flak

My hope for this game just went down another 27%

Comment

Only if you want to play VCTF 27% of your UT2007 online time

Comment

The Deemer needs to be really massive.... Seconded for seeing everything vaproized and melted...

Comment

Nah, I like the cloud Idea, but If everything being vapourised and melted would just like... completely end the level lol.

Comment

The only thing I'd definitely like to see changed with the redeemer is for the blast wave animation not to travel through walls. I know the damage doesn't, but you still see the orange blast come through the wall.

Comment

If you’re standing next to a wall when the redeemer is set off it should put a outline of your body on the wall. Actually I like the way the redeemer is in UT99. The H-Bomb bubble. Plus if you shot the bubble your rockets would bounce off. And your gibs where flung high into the air and would rain down on people. I was awesome. I also like the way the use to have the satellite that would pivot and vaporize people on the ground.

Comment

I almost forgot about that weapon. No wonder, as every server from my favorites uses the 'no superweapons' mutator.

Anyway...not too long ago, I wrote the following guideline considering these things:

Superweapons (ion cannon and redeemer): the most disliked items of the entire list. Many servers, as well as all the competitive ladders, avoid these weapons with the 'no superweapons' mutator. Even on casual maps you should at least think twice before placing them, as barely anyone can appreciate their duel being interupted by someone firing a lucky redeemer. The ion painter is rather the opposite: it's difficult to aim correctly, only works at mid-range and in open ground, and 9 out of 10 times you'll be shot down before the cannon hits. And how many times have people committed suicide with these weapons when things didn't work out the way they planned? On top of that, they are impractical for indoor environments, have a ridiculously long respawn time and tear down any shred of balance in 1on1 maps. Oh, and they smell bad.

Still convinced your map should have either of these weapons? Okay then...at least make sure you put them on spots without any natural traffic; preferably a spot you can only reach with some trickjumping. On the other hand, they should be rather visible, since they need a big launch base (especially the ion painter).

A final thing to take into account is that the 'no superweapons' mutator (which will be used if your map becomes popular) replaces the redeemer with a rocket launcher and the ion painter with the lightning gun. So in addition to all the previous, you should also treat these items as if they were extra weapon pickups.
                            As to whether it should be in UT3: no opinion. I doubt my favorite server admins or the ladders will change their stance, but including it WILL draw in new blood who like to impress with the size of their guns.

Just...please do something about that target painter. That "weapon" is so bad it's laughable.

Comment

Originally posted by Vectorspace
                              The only thing I'd definitely like to see changed with the redeemer is for the blast wave animation not to travel through walls. I know the damage doesn't, but you still see the orange blast come through the wall.
                              That'd be nice, but my preference is if the blast would wrap around things like a normal explosion would
                              Right now, you can duck behind a small tree and be safe from the deemer
                              A blast of that magnatude should rip around the tree and frag your ****, not to mention wrap around a corner to a point

Comment

Working...
                              X