Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Before you can create any successful map you need to be a player first!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Before you can create any successful map you need to be a player first!

I created two of the most popular maps for one of my favorite gametypes. How? I was a great player. I knew what people liked, therefor gave them what they wanted. I knew what I wanted, and created it. The problem with most map authors is that they suck at the game and dont know what the players actually want! They're just designers! However if you're a great player and a great designer, you've got a great map.

Well, I really think that ther's a large variety of mappers, and they each have a different balance of:

1) Visual Design (pretty maps, incorporates novel ideas)
    2) Foundation Design (playable maps)
    3) Technical Skill (mapping in the 'correct way', sensible use of features, good optimisation, leaving no loose ends)
    4) Game Skill (playing the game, partly map testing skill)
    5) Aptitude for Learning (absorbing new topics, using feedback (from other people's testing) constructively

It is fairly rare to have someone who is highly skilled in all areas, as the law of averages would dictate.

Comment

Well at least we know how you feel about yourself... You're GREAT! :P

But yeah, I totally agree with you... I look at some of these maps and I wonder why there is so much attention to the look of the map but almost no thought put into the feel.

I think that an integral part of any FPS game creation should include allowing some decent UT players a chance to play and train the level designers before they're given the opportunity to launch the level editor. They should be required to watch decent players play, note thier movement and incorporate those findings into thier level designs.

EDIT: typo

Comment

Agreed as well.

If the map author isn't good at the game he/she should stick with a good player like glue through every phase of the development process.

Comment

wow... didn't think there was enough room on this forum for another ego that large.

Comment

Which maps?

Comment

Originally posted by BigJim
              Which maps?
              DM-1on1-Serpentine and AS-ScorpionRace_v45

Comment

Originally posted by Brad
                I created two of the most popular maps for one of my favorite gametypes.
                So you are the one that made DM-Substracted-Cube-1337-SE-ClanEdition105 for the QuadDamage-InstaJump-1337Gamespeed-NoAirCOntrol-Racemaps-AdrenalineStay-WeaponsOffArena-ZirkZarkZork community?

Nice to finally meet you, Brad.

Comment

Originally posted by Snafu
                  DM-1on1-Serpentine and AS-ScorpionRace_v45
                  i thaught you said youd made good maps...

im sorry but these are not great, no offense to you or your (seemingly big) ego, but i didnt enjoy these maps, not even a little bit.

Comment

I created two of the most popular maps
                    Torlan is also one of the most popular maps

Comment

Serpentine: the only map I truely hate when it comes to DM and alike..

Comment

You guys are easily knoted up by some confidence are'nt you?

Comment

I created two of the most popular maps for one of my favorite gametypes. How? I was a great player. I knew what people liked, therefor gave them what they wanted. I knew what I wanted, and created it. The problem with most map authors is that they suck at the game and dont know what the players actually want! They're just designers! However if you're a great player and a great designer, you've got a great map.
                          Different authors make maps in different ways because they play differently from each other. Its also an art you cant just make a map full of flow and loads of game play added to it. It takes time to learn how to craft such things into a map just like it does detail.

Comment

Serpentine sux.

And AS-ScorpionRace_v45? wtf is that?

Comment

I can't wait for this guy to become pro with the hoverboard so we can get some *****in' board racing maps!

Comment

Working...
                              X