Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ITEM-Spawning

Lo all!

i dunno if there is a similar thread right now?! So if just delete this one !

Ok what u think about the ITEM-Spawning in ut2k7? What u think about flexible respawntimes for all items?! U think it could give more fairness for players with lower skill? How much regulary itemspawning influence classic gametypes like 1on1 or ctf and give em a static touch?

Can you please define what you mean by felxible?
    You mean random?

Comment

I think he means that anyone should be able to change the respawn times of items.

Comment

Good, 'cause randomising spawns is a horrible idea that promotes camping and... well... randomises the game.

Comment

dont think it should be random or more flexible, boksha kinda sums up the bad thing about that.

do think that a maplock should be slightly easier to break, but thats other balance issues

Comment

why don't we replace any players by bots, give humans spectator slots and create a game in which any noob has a chance?
            (maybe legit aimbots?)

Comment

Originally posted by Boksha
              Good, 'cause randomising spawns is a horrible idea that promotes camping...
              That is utter BS. Completely and utterly not thought through. If you randomize item spawntime AND location there is nothing to camp for. The 100 shield or the AMP could spawn at spawnposition x but it could also be just a adrenaline pill.
              Actually it would lead to exactly the opposite of camping. Not just the map areas where the most important items spawn but all the map would be the playground. To make it more interesting the announcer could say when an item spawns and where but that is just an idea.
              NEXT!!

...and... well... randomises the game.
              Which is a good thing. In a recent study people have shown that the most popular sports e.g. football (not the american version) are the ones where the favourite not always wins and chance is as important as skill and tactics. It makes the game unpredictable and leads to different tactical situations.

There is nothing more boring than to watch a UT or Quake 1on1. We all know that.
              Random spawns would lead to so much more interesting gameplay but I also know it will never happen because the pro gaymers don't want to give away their stopwatch advantage. Otherwise they might get owned by a good player without one.

Comment

how can a player be good when they cant master the most basic skill of timing?

And yes, timing and placement randomisation might be "fun" on a public (although i dont really think people will feel rewarded for their efforts, because the luck-factor will just raise through the roof)

anyway, quake and ut 1on1 boring to watch? im sorry but... i strongly disagree on q2/q3 1on1's or ut'99 1on1's being boring.

Comment

I still think bots are better at timing than people watching the clock. I can time well without it although Im not always waiting for a pickup like bots do, not that they camp but they always seem to be there as they spawn. Makes them dumb in a way!

Comment

Originally posted by VoodooPriest
                    Which is a good thing. In a recent study people have shown that the most popular sports e.g. football (not the american version) are the ones where the favourite not always wins and chance is as important as skill and tactics. It makes the game unpredictable and leads to different tactical situations.
                    That's an entirely different type of chance. People don't enjoy watching random number generators much. Imagine how popular football would be if every 5 minutes a team could lose or gain 2 or 3 players at random. It'd be idiotic.
                    The idea that completely random powerups would make 1on1s more interesting to watch is funny, but I can't really take it seriously.

Also, note that I was talking about spawntimes, which is what the threadstarter was talking about.

Comment

That's an entirely different type of chance. People don't enjoy watching random number generators much. Imagine how popular football would be if every 5 minutes a team could lose or gain 2 or 3 players at random. It'd be idiotic.
                      The idea that completely random powerups would make 1on1s more interesting to watch is funny, but I can't really take it seriously.

Also, note that I was talking about spawntimes, which is what the threadstarter was talking about.
                      The fact that items spawn randomly does not automatically make the whole game random. Just less item/timing centered and more skill centered.

Comment

The fact that items spawn randomly does not automatically make the whole game random. Just less item/timing centered and more skill centered.
                        Not really.

Comment

Not really.
                          r e a l l y.

Comment

not really, more luck-centered.

Comment

That is utter BS. Completely and utterly not thought through. If you randomize item spawntime AND location there is nothing to camp for. The 100 shield or the AMP could spawn at spawnposition x but it could also be just a adrenaline pill.
                              Actually it would lead to exactly the opposite of camping. Not just the map areas where the most important items spawn but all the map would be the playground. To make it more interesting the announcer could say when an item spawns and where but that is just an idea.
                              NEXT!!

There is nothing more boring than to watch a UT or Quake 1on1. We all know that.
                              Random spawns would lead to so much more interesting gameplay but I also know it will never happen because the pro gaymers don't want to give away their stopwatch advantage. Otherwise they might get owned by a good player without one.
                              Anybody remembers earlier posts from him (I am too lazy to search now). Are his other posts of the same level???

Comment

Working...
                              X