Sheilds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Absynthe
    Just thinking about it is giving me flashbacks to legging in MechWarrior. Lame!
    Ah, (near-)hitscan dominance with a vengeance.

Comment

Originally posted by blackout
      ballistic?
      some more ideas: replace the rocket launcher by a law, call the necris terrorists, put wheels under the hover boards, make weapons jam, implement smoke grenades and put up gas stations... now let's call the game... ...counterstr...battlef...tactica...
      err... no.
      hahaha, at least someone still has their head on their sholders

Comment

Originally posted by {SM}LeadSniper
        ...and if you hit an area that isnt protected by said armor you should take full damage. i also think they should add "bonus" damage spots on people ie:croch(male only)...
        Uh, yeah, because women wouldn't notice a stream of tracer rounds in the crotch...

The shield effect is there for when people have shields, and not when they don't. In any case, is it so hard to imagine a base-line defense system, allowing the players to take rockets without being blown apart instantly? I think the effect is a good one. The idea of charging a shield system you've already got makes a lot more sense than struggling into thigh pads or a armor vest in the middle of combat. And if your Rhaina-sized, do you want to find Saphhire-sized thigh pads? No way!

I say shields are the way to go.

Comment

There used to be a mod that everytime you shot someone in the crotch, it would say Crotch Shot! Gotta love it. And if you pay attention to where you shoot people it does do more damage, but just not enough to make it more realistic.
          But if you really want to be techincal in such areas, people would start to be more skeptical about each weapons recoil and their weapon imbalances, distance, point of impact, velosity, even to what garments the character is wearing. Plus, it would make he flack cannon just about a one shot killer no matter what. And also, how do you make such imaginary weapons realistic? I mean 1 or 2 shots from a mini and your practically almost dead if not already and 1 shot from a rocket launcher, you are blown up to pieces if your not missing a limb, which will make you unable to fight.
          Don't get me wrong, seeing the redeemer blow up like an actual nuclear explosion would look cool, but it would not be possible since you have to make a mushroom cloud, and the effects of everything disintegrate in its area and make it look percise enough to look real, not to mention blowing up half the map and have people continue to die in its area due to its high level of radiation.
          I mean it is possible to do something like that in a game, but it is not good for gaming play as of yet. Also, to render such graphics would almost be mind boggling (I would think). Most people here are hoping their computer even plays the game.
          I know you were not talking about this, but I just wanted to show an example of how realistic you can get.
          I like you guys idea on being realistic though, such as more gore like blood spurting from the victims neck after his decapitation from the ripper or if I shoot an instagib at someone, it would blow a limb off or blow a hole threw their chest and nock them back at the same time. The current way an instagib affect is, they either fall down as if they were electrocuted (I think that should be the effect of the lighting gun) which looks kind of dumb for the instagib or they blow up to a billion pieces, which is fun, but too tacky.
          I am surprised you guys remembered the shield belt, no one ever hardly talks about that anymore. It does look stupid to have body armor that has the effects of the shield belt when being hit, but if that effect was not there, it would make the noob think, "Man this guy has to be cheating!". I think they should take the effect part out and change the sound to something that makes it sound like you are hitting armor, maybe a deeper nock sound or something.
          I appreciate you guys creativity on realism but dont forget it is Unreal Tournament.

Comment

Originally posted by icewind
            I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that the UT99 armor system will return, ie. SB, Body Armor and Thigh pads (and something about a helmet).
            oh gawd no.

Comment

gimme both shield and armor :P

ohh yesss, i would love to see also some armor to return to the unreal tournament... shieldbelts, or shields are fine, but it is more interesting if there are also conventional kinds of armor, like in ut99 :P

Comment

Personally, I think it'd be cool to have armor "pickups" be power-up stations that spawn armor onto your character. These armor meshes could them be visibly lost as the player loses armor points.

Comment

The good news is that Epic are going to have both visible armour and shields!

I hope they go way from using giant logos for pickups, that just ruins the mood, makes the game look like SuperMario. For some reason I like that look when its used in Quake 3, but I despise it being put into a UT game!

Shield belts and Flak Jackets all the way, Armour upgrades should be visible on your character.

Comment

Originally posted by Absynthe
                    That's the last thing we need. Just thinking about it is giving me flashbacks to legging in MechWarrior. Lame!
                    In the real mechwarrior (Battletech) Legging isn't a bad thing, you can still Curly-dance around in a circle and shoot every weapon besides one arm (the arm you decide to prop yourself up with). (Though you can also get kicked in the face -- which is practically instant death unless its from a recon mech, so its not something to look forward to )

Still waiting for a Mechwarrior game with decent melee attacks.

Comment

Originally posted by Gregori
                      I hope they go way from using giant logos for pickups, that just ruins the mood, makes the game look like SuperMario. For some reason I like that look when its used in Quake 3, but I despise it being put into a UT game!
                      Quake 3 didn't use logos by default, it was a little like UT because you saw the body armour (though that was it). Unless you used simple logos.

Back on topic, I didn't mind the shield's appearence or the effects. I don't know why everyone on this forum compares slightly bright things to glowsticks.

Comment

Working...
                      X