Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by fuegerstef
    Congrats on increasing your postcount.
    It comes as a bonus. But you seem to bee good in that too.

Comment

Hmmm... a lot of flaming.

Why is it that it has to be one or the other?

Sure, I think epic needs to kick it up a notch and make more well designed maps and memorable maps than in 2k4, but having a massive selection is part of what is Unreal Tournament.

If they start dropping the so-so maps then the real good ones won't have as long of shelf life because you don't have much to fall back on.And on top of this it would just feel like another Quake, or Red Faction, or Halo, or whatever with only 35 maps in the entire game. Even if they were good, the same guys that are saying quality not quantity would be complaing that there is'nt enough maps.

I'm sure Epic has took that into consideration., and I doubt that they're just going to boot it out the door unfinshed with 30 decent maps total. They'e going to do thier best to try and over achieve, just like they did with 2k4.

Comment

yas i would rather want quality, when i was a nub i used to play face all day in demo server nvr got bored, but now that i c everyone will just snipe in pro its a noob map.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Hyde
          Why is it that it has to be one or the other?
          Every try to make anything that took some skill and time? Then you should know.

Comment

When the community starts making custom gametypes, some **** maps can really come into their own. I can't begin to list all the maps I'd never play in their original gametype, that are a complete blast in a custom gametype. I expect the same wil be true of 2k7.

Comment

People, dont come with a nonsense line as "why not both" or "they`ll do their best" or something simular. There`s a certain amount of time (money) to produce the maps. When they get to the point of (lets say) 30 maps, they can choose to:
              a) make more maps
              b) improving the maps

Ofcourse it sounds nice before the game release, the more maps the better. But then you havent seen the quality yet... its really about the balance (between quality and quantity).

More maps sounds nice on the cover and adverts.
              Stories about a great game with great gameplay sells even better.

Comment

Originally posted by Lunatic
                People, dont come with a nonsense line as "why not both" or "they`ll do their best" or something simular. There`s a certain amount of time (money) to produce the maps. When they get to the point of (lets say) 30 maps, they can choose to:
                a) make more maps
                b) improving the maps

Ofcourse it sounds nice before the game release, the more maps the better. But then you havent seen the quality yet... its really about the balance (between quality and quantity).

More maps sounds nice on the cover and adverts.
                Stories about a great game with great gameplay sells even better.

Having too few maps, no matter how good they are is always going too be complained about in reviews. I think the same amount of maps that UT99 shipped with should keep everyone happy, more will come out in the inevitable bonus packs. Everybody wins!

Comment

Of course, we'd all prefer there to be lots of awesome maps, but the truth is that it'll eventually be pointless anyway, and also it'd be close to impossible for the mappers to do. We all know that any game essentially descends into favouring a very small collection of maps - UT2004 for example (speaking for TAM) favours Campgrounds2004-G1E, Grendelkeep, Rankin, and Goose2k4. Out of them, only one was made by Epic themselves. CS Source as well revolves essentially around dust2, whilst the rest of the community hangs around on custom maps. See a pattern here? The sad truth is that often community-made maps are superior to bundled maps in the eyes of players, and so it doesn't really matter as to what Epic do with UT2007 - as long as there's a couple of good maps for each gamemode, the community will do the rest.

Comment

Community mappers have one big advanteage:
                    They can create maps that are constantly tested by the community throughout the development process.

I really hope that EPIC, who cannot do the above, listen very closely to what is considered good gameplay by the players.
                    Of course there should also be a few fun and gimmick maps for the casuals, the awe factor and the fun.

Comment

Working...
                    X