Mod to disable turrets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mod to disable turrets

I convert VCTF maps to DM to play VDM. Changing the prefix works fine, but, I would like to lock or remove the turrets. The bots are unbelievably good with them and it messes up games with friends. I'm running a vehicle replacement mod now, but, there is no provision for the turrets.

Just open up the editor and delete the turrets from the map. You dont need a mod to do that.

Comment

I've never done anything with the editor before. Is this pretty easy to do?

Comment

Yep. You do this:
        1. Open the UT3Ed (sideinfo for the future: it's not called Unreal Editor 3/UEd3, that's the editor for UT2004 and not UT3 ).
        2. Open the map you want to edit.
        3. Get a knowledge of the movement of the 3D viewport to move to the turrets. There are three types of movement:
          1. You move forward and backward by holding the left mouse button and moving your mouse.
          2. You look around by holding the right mouse button and moving your mouse.
          3. You move up by holding both mouse buttons and moving your mouse.
        4. You select a turret by clicking on it with the left mouse button (note: this selection type lets you just select one object unlike when you mark things with the right mouse button!).
        5. Now you have two options:
          1. Either you delete it by pressing the delete key...
          2. or you click with your right mouse button on the turret to make a small "menu" pop up with different options, like Properties, Delete, etc. In this menu you click on "select all actors - this type" and press the delete key to delete all turrets of this type.
            It's very important that just this single turret is selected! To deselect an object you must click on a empty place in one of the 2D viewports or you click on a BSP surface or select one object with the lmb and select the turret again with lmb so that just the turret is selected. If you don't want to mess around by selecting each turret individually and deleting it one by one you can do it like this

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks. I'll have a look at it.

The other thing that occurred to me was adding the turrets to the vehicle replacement mutator I'm using. Can they be treated just like other vehicles? If I can get the turrets into the list, I can replace them with "empty" and that would solve it for all maps at once. The undo would be easy too.

Comment

Well, I didn't try that out but I guess that they are their own class, just like in UT2004. They weren't subclasses of the kVehicle either.

It's better to remove them. This way others can play these maps without having to deal with mutators

Comment

I did this with one map. It does remove the turrets. Using the map on a server, will other players have to download it as a new version? The name remains the same, but, if the content is different, they will need the correction, right?

Comment

They will need the new version - btw, I hope you didn't overwrite the original maps but saved them under a different name or with a different prefix. If you overwrite them, this will cause online incompatibility!

Comment

I tried it on a map that I don't use. I have been experimenting with the vehicle replacement mutator. Either I'm not getting the right terms or it won't work. I'm a retired truck mechanic , not a coder. It just seems that if someone could make a "NoTags" mutator, the same could be done as "No Turrets" mutator.

Comment

A "No Turrets" mutator is quite easy. It's even as easy as write a generic-no-actor mutator where you can add specifc type of actors and it will remove all of them.

Comment

Originally posted by RattleSN4K3 View Post
                      A "No Turrets" mutator is quite easy. It's even as easy as write a generic-no-actor mutator where you can add specifc type of actors and it will remove all of them.
                      Which was the whole point of this thread. I was asking if someone could make such a mutator.

Comment

Ah okay. So here we go

It's basically this code
                        Code:
                        class NoTurretsMutator extends UTMutator;

function InitMutator( string Options, out string ErrorMessage )
                        {
                            super.InitMutator( options, ErrorMessage );
                        }

function bool CheckReplacement( Actor Other )
                        {
                            if (UTVehicleFactory_TrackTurretBase(Other) !=none) {
                                UTVehicleFactory_TrackTurretBase(Other).VehicleClassPath = "";
                                UTVehicleFactory_TrackTurretBase(Other).VehicleClass = none;
                                return false;
                            }

// return true to keep this actor
                            return true;
                        }

DefaultProperties
                        {
                        }
                        It will remove any turret which will be spawned with the vehicle factory base UTVehicleFactory_TrackTurretBase.

Here's a compiled mutator.
                        NoTurrets_v0.1.zip

Comment

Thanks a lot. It works well in single player. I'll try it with multiplayer this weekend and let you know how it goes.

Comment

They'll need the map anyway. You would even make its size smaller by removing the turrets. It's easy. But if you use a mutator they need both: The map and the mutator!

Comment

It's always been my experience that if all players have installed the mutator, it will work fine. I use several when I run a server. I'll find out Saturday night and let everyone know for sure.

Comment

Working...
                              X