Class Based Combat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Class Based Combat

I was wondering how well would UT3 work as a classed based shooter, just use the same weapons it has but give them to certain classes at the start of a match, perhaps make it that another character can pick their weapon up but most drop one of their own weapons. Different classes would have different stats and what not, example would be Krall would have classes around heavy weapons and explosives, Ronin would be soilder and engineer (can build gun turrent and repair vehicles), Necris would have Stealth and Scout type classes, and finally the Liandri would have a bit of everything among them but not really specializing in any of it. Of course some weapons would be open for anyone to use if they can find it (Ex:redeemer).

Anywho it's just an idea I had swirling around in my head, though I do hope someone who is interested picks up the idea.

ut3 is best played with all the weapons. im not sure limiting them would be that much fun to play. also would be hard to balance and strongly map dependant. a sniper class for example would have no chance in dm-biohazard.

Comment

True but then again the idea is to bring change, not to mention Unreal Championship limited you on weapons and personally I thought it played really well, before a match you had to think what you want to bring in and that would make a world of difference. In a game with classes you always have to think before you act, what is best to use in different situations.

Comment

besides, It worked for Team Fortress2 (wtf happened to the first one?)

Comment

If you want a feel for class based gameplay dynamics in UT try druids rpg in ut2k4. You have a medic, a technition, and a weapon master class.

All classes do, in the sense of druids and your proposal, is limit what you can use or do. Yes that generally makes for a situation where you must think more but personally I find the resrtictiveness of it annoying in a game that is based around freedom in a level killing field.

Not to say that class based warfare couldn't be done in a way so it enhances UT's (in this case UT3's) gameplay, but like Bi()ha2arD said it's very dependant on the map. It also is more functional for non DM style gamemodes. Specificly the more team oriented the gamemode the more it would benefit from a class system. Then again the more complaining there would be about people who didn't understand how to play the gamemode and now while using there class ><.

Comment

im implementing a cod4 style class system into my TC, except u cant make custom classes, but its a start eh?

Comment

sounds good, I'm looking forward to see the result of your hard work.

Comment

i need someone to make a ui for it though, cuz im hopeless and cant understand custom menu's :P

Comment

I wouldn't know how to go about it but I could always look into it @_@;

Comment

Working...
                  X